would anyone else like to see a prelude about when mace and

Have a take on the latest Prelude strip? Share it in here! Just notice an enticing story hint in one of the graphic novels? Speculate away! Share feedback, large and small about your DreamKeepers experience. But beware, this forum may contain story spoilers.

Re: would anyone else like to see a prelude about when mace and

Postby Suraru on Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:18 pm

actually :geek: david said that dreamkeepers have a passive power where theyre halo isnt seen because it isnt their full ability *nerdy snort*

ha, i had to do that

but no really, i recall dave saying that some dreamkeepers had a passive ability, and used wisp's flying as an example, then he went on to say that wisp was god moddy because she is technically invincible by that thing she does to move through walls, but keep her claws in phase.

back on topic: i think whip's passive ability would be flying, im note sure about the others lol
Suraru

Postby Oseirus on Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Oh, ok. That makes sense then. I remember David talking about Wisp's god-moddy powers, but I must have missed the part about the passive powers.

Makes you think though. Since each 'Keeper is limited to only a single general power, and some are rather limited in practicality (like for example Namah's tendrils), not everyone will have that "passive" ability that they can take advantage of freely. Whip can tap a fraction of his power to float around without a care in the world and not show the halo, but then someone like Namah is pretty much stuck broadcasting that halo around like some sort of neon sign saying "I HAV TEH POWAH". As if the glowing pink whips growing from her fingers don't do that already.
Oseirus

Postby Zefiren on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:06 am

I don't think it's entirely like that, I mean yes they are limited to a single general power, but that does not mean that said power can't manifest itself in different ways. Like you said whip can use a fraction of his power and fly without showing his halo, and IIRC there was a discussion some time ago about how the way the halo looks can tell you just how much of their power they are using.

ex: when Namah first used the tendrils her halo looks faded, almost transparent and they did not do all that much damage against Tinsel. Yet when Lilith used her power for the first time her halo was glowing like a small star and she obliterated that monster.

So it could be possible that Namah (and possible the others) can use a fraction of their powers without displaying their halos.

I think mace showed a little bit of extra resilience when bast knocked him into that locker and he came out of it with narry a scratch...

All of this is of course speculation.
Zefiren

Postby Reaver on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:13 am

I'd like to question the usefulness of this. As stated, when her ability wasn't fully activated she managed to fling Tinsel around a bit, but I think that was more due to her not really exxpecting Namah to use a power, rather than that she is actually weaker than her.

Something like Smiley is still a low one and in Tendril's Demise we had three Dreamkeepers with fully activated powers struggling against one Nightmare. I don't know how you'd use a passive ability in a fight.

In Anduruna it could be of some use. If you'd manage to use your ability, or bits of it, without having your halo appear could help in some everyday situations, but it might also raise suspicions. I think the only reason that didn't happen to Whip is because most people living there don't even think of him as a Dreamkeeper, therefore don't really care about him floating around.
Reaver

Postby Twilight on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:06 pm

oh jesus, before that discussion goes out of control. That whole "passive" ability thing, by the way, and make sure you make note of this, NOT something Dreamkeepers just develop or get. So before you start making hordes of characters with passive abilities, I want to lay down ground rules D8

1- Dreamkeepers only develop such things when they need them. They're usually a crutch and not a bonus. Ie. Whip can't really do anything, like at all, so he floats as a result.

2- Attempting to develop such ability would result in either nothing, or regular power use, as it's part of the same basic principle.

3- the Passive ability isn't something you chose to use at any given time. It's ALWAYS there. Like the ability to walk vs the ability to punch through several blocks of concrete, anyone can just get up and walk, but not everyone can just punch that hard. For whip, he can literally just get up and float, he doesn't have to think about it, it's just there all the time. What this means is that you can't have a character with a passive ability that actually manifests itself the way the power would. (See Bast example below)

4- I shouldn't have to mention this, but I will, just in case. The passive abilities' usefulness is very minimal and will never amount to anything close to what the full power will do. Ie. If Bast had such a thing, he probably wouldn't be able to make a fire with it, maybe his body temperature would constantly be higher than normal, but that would be about it.
Twilight

Postby Oseirus on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:25 pm

Aaand the world makes sense again. Lol. I guess, in a sense, that is what I was trying to say in one of my earlier posts, but I didn't know how to put it. Thanks for the clarification, Twi.
Oseirus

Postby Reaver on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:29 pm

That's interesting. For Whip I thought that the power was permanent and weak, but as the story would continue, he'd eventually learn to control it, thus gaining in power but losing the status of a permanent ability in exchange.

Okay, I admit, I didn't know it was a permanent ability before this thread came up. xD Still, Is it really impossible to farther develop a permanent ability? Because, as stated, it doesn't seem of much use when facing a monster with giant claws, tendrils, acid spit, nightvision that permanently hums bad pop music.
Reaver

Postby Twilight on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:31 pm

You can develop things with it sure, but how do you further develop the way you walk? For example.

You can train yourself to run a little faster or be able to marathon for a long time, but that takes years of training in just that, for someone who has such an ability, they'd probably need to put a lot of time, energy and elbow grease into developing it further, and the payoff might not necessarily be the greatest thing ever.

There's always exceptions to the rules of course, but as the word implies it'd take truly exceptional people to get to such points.
Twilight

Postby Reaver on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:41 pm

There's a lot you can do with your walking, actually. xD But that aside, I do see your point and thank you for your explanation.
Reaver

Postby Suraru on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:49 pm

just because im bored, im going to say that whip just jumped around and eventually stopped coming down that often, as mace said...

also this is getting off topic... i think?
Suraru

---------

Previous

Return to Comic story chat room