Wisp, wisp, wisp

Have a favorite character in the series? Any that remind you of a real person you know? Talk about the ones you like, the ones you hate, and see what others think.

Re: Wisp, wisp, wisp

Postby UberUrsa on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:24 pm

Well her emotions aren't entirely random, per se, there is a method to her madness. She certainly has mood swings, but mostly there is a reason for her emotions to change.
UberUrsa

Postby Hakuzo NightFox on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:10 pm

Bipolar much :P
Hakuzo NightFox

Postby Calico Yorki on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:01 pm

Hmmm...

I wonder if Wisp will have a part in Volume 3...Nabonidus seems to be like an older brother, or more likely, father figure to Wisp. She's totally devoted to him. In my opinion, that makes her most valuable in the long run - Tinsel and Ravat are a bit...Less than trustworthy.

However, Wisp is utterly devoted to making Nabonidus happy. That could be what makes her most dangerous to the Dream Team...Tinsel and Ravat probably wouldn't die for Nabonidus. But if Wisp is indeed willing to bite the dust for him, it could get a lot more risky fighting her.

...Mmyeah I think so.
Calico Yorki

Location: With the Purple, the People, the Plastic-Eating People

Postby UberUrsa on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:54 pm

What'll be interesting to see is how Nabdonus feels about Wisp, I suspect that he doesn't feel emotionally attached to Wisp, however recognizes that she is far more loyal than Ravat and Tinsle and is willing to die for him.

Of course if Wisp finds out that Nabdonus is not as loyal to her as she is to him, things could get...interesting.
UberUrsa

Postby Calico Yorki on Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:22 pm

Well...

I think Nabonidus would be a fair leader - Really, I'd find it hard to see him as a total jerk to his subordinates for no reason. Knowing Ravat and Tinsel, I don't think they'd go along with him getting treated like dirt; even if he saved their lives or helped them out otherwise in the past...

So, I think he reciprocates Wisp's dedication to him. For instance: Wisp kept her plan from Nabonidus and it failed, but she just wanted to help him. As we know, she hardly got a slap on the wrist. Meanwhile, it's Tinsel's fault that Wisp's plan failed in the first place, and she's generally a troublemaker. Once again, as we know, she has her worst nightmare come true: A big honkin' blemish on her breast. Considering how vain she is, that punishment cemented Nabonidus' place as a bada## for me.

Think about it...Nabonidus is a smart guy. He knows how he can effectively motivate and punish his subordinates. We can see it with Wisp - If he doesn't handle situations delicately with her, she could end up doing something drastic like committing suicide. After her failure, we already saw she was contemplating suicide...But Nabonidus knows his words can cheer her right up.

Even if Nabonidus doesn't truly value Wisp emotionally, I think he values her strength and loyalty, and knows how to work with her flaws. Whatever her plan was, it's pretty obvious that it would have important benefits if Tinsel hadn't interfered...

...Really, I'm interested to see Wisp's past. Was her mind always "warped"? Did something happen that lead to her current state? How did she meet Nabonidus? What is Tinsel's deal with tormenting Wisp? What does Ravat think of her?

Hmmmmm...
Calico Yorki

Postby Artist_Of_Sorts on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:37 am

Considering how difficult Wisp is to kill, I can't really see that Nabonidus could hurt her for her failure or simply disown her and turn her away, but mostly because she knows of the nightmares eventual return and could spill the beans so to speak if he pushed her far enough.

......Then again, who would believe her?

My guess is that any appearance she makes in volume 3 will probably consist of her making another appearance before Nabonidus to beg forgiveness at which point he will either turn her away and she will go find someplace to wallow in misery until later volumes, or he will have further use for her and grant her yet another chance.

I personally feel like the first of these options is more likely. There is still so much we don't know and it's very hard to guess much of anything for sure until volume 3 gives us more to digest.
Artist_Of_Sorts

Postby Zagura on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:49 am

Artist_Of_Sorts wrote:My guess is that any appearance she makes in volume 3 will probably consist of her making another appearance before Nabonidus to beg forgiveness at which point he will either turn her away and she will go find someplace to wallow in misery until later volumes, or he will have further use for her and grant her yet another chance.

:( Well we do know she knows that Tinsel hasn't been a very nice friend to them. So there might be a showdown of epic proportions coming up between them. Though I dunno who's power would be more effective.
Zagura

Postby Artist_Of_Sorts on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:58 am

:( Well we do know she knows that Tinsel hasn't been a very nice friend to them. So there might be a showdown of epic proportions coming up between them. Though I dunno who's power would be more effective.

Weel the way I see it, magic hair wouldn't be much use against a body that can become literally untouchable.

Whatever happens, I'll probably be heartbroken if she gets hurt or killed. I feel like she needs some serious emotional scarring to really make her consider where her loyalty's should lie, but I would hate to see her passionate strive to be needed and wanted be her ultimate downfall.
Artist_Of_Sorts

Postby Arathemis on Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:33 pm

I'd say wisp has power over the fabric of space. That could explain explain why she can be in multiple places at once and walk through solid matter with no problem. Just a suggestion.
Arathemis

Postby Calico Yorki on Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:58 am

Hmmm...

...I actually just now looked up schizophrenia.

The information on Wikipedia is pretty interesting, as far as Wisp is concerned.

First of all, it mentions a "disentegration of thought processes" and "emotional unresponsiveness." However, the second part's lack in Wisp shall be explained. Anywho, symptoms include paranoid and bizarre delusions, disorganized speech and thinking, and it is accompanied by significant social or occupational dysfunction.

As for why part of these are less extreme or in one case even absent in Wisp, here's the kicker:

"The onset of symptoms typically occurs in young adulthood."

So, based on how old she appears to be, it could be that she's, indeed, schizophrenic - Just that it's yet to progress to the complete form we usually see.

However, on the subject of another possible condition that some have mentioned:

Bipolar Disorder / Manic-Depressive Disorder:
Basically, bipolar disorder involves one or more episodes of abnormally elevated levels of energy, cognition, or mood, with or without one or more depressive episodes. So, Wisp may, indeed be bipolar - However, I kind of doubt it.

My mom's actually bipolar - I believe - And she has no problem at all living, working, and interacting with family. In fact, I don't think she's ever even had to have extensive treatment for it. So, I don't think Wisp can just be slapped with a "bipolar" label and that be the end of it.

Don't quote me on it, I don't know jack about this kind of stuff, but I think Wisp's emotional state is a bit too constantly extreme to be just the general occurrence of bipolar disorder.

However, there may be a sub-type of bipolar disorder that fits her. In fact, bipolar NOS specifically denotes a bipolar case that doesn't fall into any other categories.

Yet, there's always another possibility. As I think David mentioned, Wisp may not have any one clinically-recognized mental disorder. She may just have an unknown type of psychosis.

So...Yeah. Don't exactly know what the point of this post was.

Didn't mean to go and write a book on it.

...Sorry.
Calico Yorki

---------

PreviousNext

Return to DK Characters