Who are the Troika?

Have a take on the latest Prelude strip? Share it in here! Just notice an enticing story hint in one of the graphic novels? Speculate away! Share feedback, large and small about your DreamKeepers experience. But beware, this forum may contain story spoilers.

Who are the Troika?

Postby DoctorWhat on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:40 pm

Who are the Troika? On a completely different thread, we may have found the answer:

Mutations2000 wrote:
Finfan wrote:Also, I seem to recall the Indigo twins saying that "Bobby checked with some troika" or something to that effect. That makes me think that "troika" is a descriptive and not a name.

I think I've figured out what "Troika" is. It's the name of "the resistance". I figured this out while I was looking at the DK facebok page. I was looking through concept art for Volume 3, when I found .

Look at the caption. Troika frogs. Look at the pin/patch the frog is wearing. Look familiar? Scinter has one on his vest, and Igrath's belt buckle appears to be the same symbol. It's also on the winter gear that Mace, Whip, Lilith, and Namah find upon arriving at the Starfall mountains. There's even a sticker in the shop that bears the symbol, and it actually says "Dreamkeeper Troika©2008". I'm amazed that I haven't noticed this before! I guess Finfan is right.

According to this theory, the Troika are a secret organization devoted to fighting the nightmares. somehow, they know of the existence of the Nightmares beyond the ancient legends, know that they control the government and know how to use and train others in the use of their powers. If we assume that Grunn, Scinter and Igrath are affiliated with the Troika, then it follows that the orphanage may be a safehouse where possible future Troika are kept until they can be trained in the use of their powers. This would explain why Bobby is mentioned. Also, this could mean that Vi is a Troika herself, and likely to make an appearance in the next few Volumes.

The Troika are obviously fairly large, if they have a network of safehouses and fortresses across Andrunna, not to mention access to illegal weaponry and advanced technology like the hoverpads. As usual, however, the "answer" of one of the questions David poses brings forth so many new questions. Who are they really? Where did they come from? How were they founded? What is their relationship to Scinter, Igrath and Grunn (are they merely members or do they serve some special purpose)? And most importantly, how will they relate to the main characters? Speculate away.
DoctorWhat

Re: Who are the Troika?

Postby Twilight on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:32 pm

Oh yes, the Troika. They even have a XD It's the one right next to the I heart catgirls.

Not much has been revealed about them so far, but if I'm not mistaken, Scinter himself is a troika. Don't quote me on that though, I'm probably wrong ^^:
Twilight

Postby Tosxychor on Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:48 am

Wow, and to think Lunoe speculated the existence of a Nightmare resistance from the symbol only :) I admit she did a really good job with her theories. It's in this post anyway, at the bottom of it.
Tosxychor

Postby BlackMantha on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:33 am

And if they're dedicated to fighting Nightmares, why are they secret? It's obvious why they keep themselves hidden, since they apparently already knew about a connection between the Nightmares and the government. But why are they not spreading rumors about Nightmares being real? That is the Nightmares' greatest advantage right now; nobody is preparing to fight them. They're not going to convince people without dragging out physical evidence on TV, but some preparation would be good. Maybe they don't want to risk being labeled as a subversive movement.

And a bit less serious, why the name "Troika"? It means something like "trio", which is reflected in the logo design. So a trio of what?
BlackMantha

Postby Mutations2000 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:12 pm

Yay! I've been quoted! :D
Mutations2000

Postby DoctorWhat on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:35 pm

BlackMantha wrote:And if they're dedicated to fighting Nightmares, why are they secret? It's obvious why they keep themselves hidden, since they apparently already knew about a connection between the Nightmares and the government. But why are they not spreading rumors about Nightmares being real? That is the Nightmares' greatest advantage right now; nobody is preparing to fight them. They're not going to convince people without dragging out physical evidence on TV, but some preparation would be good. Maybe they don't want to risk being labeled as a subversive movement.

And a bit less serious, why the name "Troika"? It means something like "trio", which is reflected in the logo design. So a trio of what?

I am also interested in the name. "Troika" is a Russian word meaning "three of a kind." So, the question is: three of what?

Also, just a thought: they probably have spread rumors, but the good old government has probably done a good job of suppressing the rumors. There's also the fact that no one believes in the nightmares anymore. Without the public seeing them firsthand, it would probably be hard to prove they exist.
DoctorWhat

Postby matsananimal on Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:43 am

DoctorWhat wrote:
BlackMantha wrote:And if they're dedicated to fighting Nightmares, why are they secret? It's obvious why they keep themselves hidden, since they apparently already knew about a connection between the Nightmares and the government. But why are they not spreading rumors about Nightmares being real? That is the Nightmares' greatest advantage right now; nobody is preparing to fight them. They're not going to convince people without dragging out physical evidence on TV, but some preparation would be good. Maybe they don't want to risk being labeled as a subversive movement.

I am also interested in the name. "Troika" is a Russian word meaning "three of a kind." So, the question is: three of what?

Also, just a thought: they probably have spread rumors, but the good old government has probably done a good job of suppressing the rumors. There's also the fact that no one believes in the nightmares anymore. Without the public seeing them firsthand, it would probably be hard to prove they exist.

Thanks for teaching us that. :)
matsananimal

Postby Randomonioum on Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Them spreading rumors about the nightmares returning, however they spin it, is going to come off the same as the guy who lives down your road, spewing about how aliens are coming for us, and that we have to prepare now! Crazy. The nightmares have, as far as I can tell, slipped into myths and stories to scare children with. And, of course, if any of the nightmare moles got word of the rumors, it would be a simple matter of denouncing them as anarchists, or terrorists, or whatever buzz word happens to set people off. In the long run, it would probably do more harm than good.
Randomonioum

Postby matsananimal on Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:31 pm

Randomonioum wrote:

Them spreading rumors about the nightmares returning, however they spin it, is going to come off the same as the guy who lives down your road, spewing about how aliens are coming for us, and that we have to prepare now! Crazy. The nightmares have, as far as I can tell, slipped into myths and stories to scare children with. And, of course, if any of the nightmare moles got word of the rumors, it would be a simple matter of denouncing them as anarchists, or terrorists, or whatever buzz word happens to set people off. In the long run, it would probably do more harm than good.

I think the more likely title that they use on them are fear mongerers. :geek:
matsananimal

Postby Randomonioum on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Yeah, probably that. I don't have the right mindset to come up with those sorts of titles.
Randomonioum

---------

Next

Return to Comic story chat room