Whip. He's awsome.

Have a favorite character in the series? Any that remind you of a real person you know? Talk about the ones you like, the ones you hate, and see what others think.

Re: Whip. He's awsome.

Postby Jyrico on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:49 am

First, off I'd like to point out something that might explain why he floats, but doesn't have a halo over his head. If you think about the Indigo's their halos only manifest when their changing their fur, but after it's been changed, no halo's. Could be some sort of on/off function.

Secondly, I know the monster combat picture where Mace is using freeze powers is hardly definitive of anything, but in that picture I thought he was using some sort of earth powers, or it looks like it anyways. I realize now that that's probably just telekinesis, but I would love for such a small character to have bossin' earth powers. That personally is my favorite idea, although it is kind of a stretch to use that to explain how he floats.
Jyrico

Postby ezioauditore97 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:30 pm

Well maybe Whip still has not discovered his real power.....
ezioauditore97

Postby TruthQuest on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:39 pm

eh someone debunk me if I'm wrong but here's a little idea that came to my mind;
Whip needs to use his ears to direct himself in the air, what if he has some kind of air funnel or air cone that causes him to float, that might mean that he can manipulate air, I could be wrong. :oops:
TruthQuest

Postby Mr Aerospace on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:59 pm

I think I understand what you're saying...
In a physical sense, yeah those ears could provide lift if air was passing over them, but they'd need to be constantly at the horizontal for that to work. An air funnel / cone could provide the air needed to create lift, but this falls flat whenever Whip's ears aren't flattened out or when he's just floating about.

However, when he is propelling himself forward (by whatever means he actually uses to fly) then it'd be much easier to use those large ears as a rudder than it would to change direction any other way. Also, because I just don't know, I can't say that it's completely impossible.
Mr Aerospace

Postby TruthQuest on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Well, what I mean... it's complicated. I had the idea from another web comic that I read, I'll try to explain;
there's this energy field that surrounds a person (I can't remember exact notes) that they can manipulate into other shapes and forms, one of the ways it can be used is to create air flow around the person in a specific manner, like a personal jet-stream.

This is sort a where the idea for it all starts, somewhere beyond that page is the more scientific explanation for what I was trying to remember and explain. :oops:
TruthQuest

Postby Mr Aerospace on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:21 pm

At the risk of using logic where it doesn't belong, if someone can create a 'jet-stream' to make them fly, why then couldn't they either manipulate, redirect or create other streams for steering?

The guy in that example didn't have whip's ears or any other even slightly aerodynamic efficient body part, so the only way he could control his flight using his body is by increasing drag with his hands or legs, and perhaps creating a tiny bit of lift by angling his flat palm up or down a little. That also depends on whether his body parts can reach outside of the stream or not, and in the end it is a terribly inefficient way to fly. Whip on the other hand does have slightly more aerodynamic control surfaces in those ears and would benefit more from lift and control surfaces (again, if and only if those ears exited that stream) but because he still has only a small amount of control, (an aeroplane uses elevators, ailerons, rudders and flaps) it would be far less efficient than manipulating the stream.

Just sayin', ya know...not that I'm roight or anyfing...it ain't my dream world, and it's not as tho physics is being adhered to by someone floatin' about anyways.
Mr Aerospace

---------

Previous

Return to DK Characters