Volume 1 Schoolyard Fight

Have a take on the latest Prelude strip? Share it in here! Just notice an enticing story hint in one of the graphic novels? Speculate away! Share feedback, large and small about your DreamKeepers experience. But beware, this forum may contain story spoilers.

Re: Volume 1 Schoolyard Fight

Postby Clast on Mon May 14, 2012 10:01 pm

I don't think it is possibly for anything to be more correct! From my experience that is all the Internet is capable of. Well...and being an incredible useful resource, but that half is overshadowed by how often things are miscommunicated (Spelling? I don't have a trustworthy paper dictionary at my disposal!), told incorrectly, falsified, plain wrong, or some other synonym for all that.
Clast

Postby Oseirus on Tue May 15, 2012 2:33 am

I dunno. Personally? Even if you can file Bast under "poor scripting" or whatever, I feel like it might have been a profitable mistake rather than an unfortunate one. For me, knowing NOTHING about Bast is what's made him so interesting. He's obviously protective over things he holds dear (scarf, Lilith, fantastic hair-do), and won't hesitate for a second to flex said protection. I think that, as we see and learn more about our firey anti-hero we'll be able to look back at the first few Volumes and everything will snap into place.

Of course his back story could be something completely out of left field. Maybe he was a Brony and got picked on too much when he was younger, and snapped. His scarf used to have a Fluttershy patch on it, but it was torn off, and he isn't about to risk letting anyone get ahold of his Rainbow Dash.
Oseirus

Postby Mr Aerospace on Tue May 15, 2012 8:59 am

Firstly, has no-one noticed that the entire chapter focuses on Mace and Whip's perspectives?
I'm inclined to think that'd be a pretty good reason why the information we receive during that chapter is a little skewed!
Also, I wonder if you guys have paid much attention to Bast in the lead up to the fight? Look at his eyes, there's absolutely nothing there, no recognition at all. Bast isn't ignoring Mace, he's in the middle of a thousand yard stare!

Twilight wrote:You cannot honestly do a character analysis on him as of yet.... In fact, I'd say that you can't really do an analysis on any of the characters, yet...

I beg to differ there Twi, I have at least 8 or 9 concurrent analyses on Bast alone. My trick is to come up with every single possibility and then use the evidence to work down toward a single unified solution.

Whoops! Edit: As for Bast knowing Lilith beforehand Sorrel...You are quite right about the big no-no in storytelling if that were the case, but what if it wasn't?
Mr Aerospace

Postby Twilight on Tue May 15, 2012 10:05 am

That's not an analysis though xD That's data gathering. The rest is speculation lol. In the end, you can't do a complete analysis of any kind. But I digress.
Twilight

Postby Clast on Tue May 15, 2012 11:17 am

Oseirus wrote:Of course his back story could be something completely out of left field. Maybe he was a Brony and got picked on too much when he was younger, and snapped. His scarf used to have a Fluttershy patch on it, but it was torn off, and he isn't about to risk letting anyone get ahold of his Rainbow Dash.

Dear Lord I hope not. Something like that, where "He's so protective because of his terrible past and blahblahppplttheth." That seems quite like a cookie-cutter past to me. I don't believe he was protecting anything. Mace asked him to move so he could reach his locker, and he flipped out. As far as we know, that's all.

That being said, the Brony reference still made he laugh.
Clast

Postby Twilight on Tue May 15, 2012 12:18 pm

Actually, Oseirus, you hit a nice nail there XD Bast made a bad first impression, but other than that he's been very protective of stuff. Again, it's not enough to put together like a complete analysis of his character, but it's a step.

I will say this, though, the reason that fight happened at all was because, like Sorrel said, Dave wasn't really a good writer at the time, and he literally just said "I want a school fight!.... *insert*" XD So... yeah, he probably found a way around explaining what happened at some point, but for all intents and purposes, it WAS a writing weakness. Don't worry, though, he's smart. He'll figure out how to justify it and have it make sense ^^
Twilight

Postby Wolfcape on Tue May 15, 2012 2:02 pm

Bast's character would be interesting to discover as the story moves on. It will be explained, I believe. As Twilight said, most likely, it will be justified XD And I hope he's right ... I hate loose ends.
Wolfcape

Postby Mr Aerospace on Fri May 18, 2012 8:49 am

Wolfcape, I take it you are J J Abrams biggest fan then? :lol:

Alright Twi, fair point, technically that wouldn't be analysis, but it ain't just data gathering and speculation either. How about we settle with the word 'synthesis' instead?
As for inexperienced writing, to me the script for V2 showed quite an improvement over the first volume, and if the upcoming preludes and novels continue to reflect the collected experiences, I'm sure Dave will find it easy to circumnavigate shortcomings in the earlier works.
Mr Aerospace

Postby Wolfcape on Wed May 23, 2012 11:04 pm

Mr Aerospace wrote:Wolfcape, I take it you are J J Abrams biggest fan then? :lol:

That name sounds very familiar...
No, I'm not his biggest fan.
If you weren't being sarcastic.
Wolfcape

---------

Previous

Return to Comic story chat room