Volume 1 Schoolyard Fight

Have a take on the latest Prelude strip? Share it in here! Just notice an enticing story hint in one of the graphic novels? Speculate away! Share feedback, large and small about your DreamKeepers experience. But beware, this forum may contain story spoilers.

Volume 1 Schoolyard Fight

Postby Clast on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:46 pm

So, I'm pretty new here, but I do have one question for anyone who is willing to answer. Why was the fight between Mace and Bast included? I understand that it lead into Mace meeting Namah...but the whole thing seems unnecessary. Literally, all we see is Bast act like a total douche, and attacking Mace unprovoked. This is how I imagined Bast when I first read that page:

"Oh no, that Raccoon...ish guy just touched my hipster scarf! Attack mode, activated!"
followed by:
"A floating rat? With giant ear

The entire thing just came off as strange. The only way I can think it might relate to the story later on, is if the moment Mace sees Bast again, we'll get a long argument about, to the effect of, "I hate you! That was completely unnecessary!"
And to a lesser extent; "Lilith is mine!"

Someone please help me make heads or tails of this situation.
Clast

Re: Volume 1 Schoolyard Fight

Postby Twilight on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:59 pm

I can tell you in a bit, gimme a few hours ^^
Twilight

Postby Clast on Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:04 pm

Sure. I'll wait.
Clast

Postby Twilight on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:15 pm

"The intent from a writing standpoint was to briefly introduce Bast, and establish that him and Mace are bestest freinds. And of course start setting up the Lilith love triangle. Plus it seemed like the kind of action that we won't see much of later in the book - a little scuffle in a school won't happen so often when there are powers and rifles and shock troopers and demons raining hell on one another. X D

So, yeah. Character introduction, starts setting up some dynamics, and excuse for some light action. Plus a hint or two plopped in there, like having Bast go nuclear when his scarf was touched." -David
Twilight

Postby Paperfold on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:18 pm

Twilight wrote:Plus a hint or two plopped in there, like having Bast go nuclear when his scarf was touched.

You DO NOT TOUCH the scarf.
Paperfold

Postby Clast on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:36 pm

I suppose that makes sense, and it coming from the authors mouth, I can't exactly argue, I'll at least say this: it seemed a bit sudden. I'm all for the DK writing style, but I personally would have stretched out the school day a bit more before the fight. Just add some background, so it doesn't seem so sudden. Yes, yes, I know that drawing out those beautiful pieces of artwork that are merely described as "pages" (A mightier word is necessary... perhaps Masteries of the Literary and Visual Arts? MoLVAs, if you will).

So these MoLVAs, I understand how time consuming they are to create and distribute to the loving crowds of fans harkening to every word of the glorious and all powerful creators of the world in which we love to read about. I have given my humble suggestion. Many thanks.
Clast

Postby Twilight on Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:16 pm

Well, I'm probably biased here, but remember that when David first wrote Volume 1 he wasn't really that experienced in writing, and probably wasn't at his best game in terms of storytelling. In the newer editions of V1, he's gone as far as to correct some of the dialog, for example, and touch up the at here and there. Given the chance, he would probably handle things differently at this point too.

I'd chalk it up to inexperience. You'll see the improvement when Volume 3 finally comes out. It's really quite well written. 8D
Twilight

Postby Wolfcape on Sun May 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Protectiveness of red scarf was totally stolen by The Legend of Korra...if anybody watches, you'd notice firebender Mako's protectiveness on a similar red scarf he is insistent upon wearing ^^
Wolfcape

Postby Clast on Sun May 13, 2012 4:27 pm

Hah. Yeah, they both seem insistent upon wearing them, and both can control fire...I just think Mako is much more friendly (in his own way).
Clast

Postby Twilight on Sun May 13, 2012 4:41 pm

As of Volume 3, and the episodes of Korra so far... Bast is actually believable. Mako's poorly written and fails at being a compelling character XD
Twilight

---------

Next

Return to Comic story chat room