Viscount Calah

Have a favorite character in the series? Any that remind you of a real person you know? Talk about the ones you like, the ones you hate, and see what others think.

Re: Viscount Calah

Postby matsananimal on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:22 pm

What I'm trying to say is, Calah's literally the single most important official in Anduruna, a LOT rests on him, he has to have a hand in every single political and social proceeding in the dreamworld's largest, and most populated city. Based on every one of his appearances, he's just auto-piloting through life at this point. The world's placed so much of it's weight on him that he's become repurposed to do just that. The fact that Lilith got through to allowing Namah an education, and later in time, to go to school, is nothing short of Lilith presenting her argument in a way that makes sense to him. He doesn't understand a lot outside of his realm of work, but it's not like he has a choice.

Calah ending up, some how, miraculously getting some vacation time would probably turn him into a very different character for a bit.[/quote]That's what I was trying to get at before. His position and busy schedule means that he can't really be the best father to either Lilith OR Namah. But I still think that his blind ambition, putting his career first and children second, leaves plenty of the blame on him. A father's first and greatest responsibility is always his children, IMHO.
matsananimal wrote:
Kixxar wrote:Well he is having her cared for.... not necessarily caring for her.

We have an opinionated insight on what, at least, happened to Lilliths mother.
... getting rid of the mother and spinning the 'struggling single parent' angle was brillant...
- Emissary Truproc (lizard dude)

'Getting rid of the mother' brings back Calah's theoretical use of Lillith in his electoral endeavors.

I think Viscount Calah is just an incompetent father, not sociopath.
He cares about his daughters but is simply a poor father.
:|

Exactly. I personally think that he didn't "get rid of the mother." More likely, since Lilith and Namah are around the same age (presumably), Lilith's mother found out about the affair and left him. this makes more sense to me. The politicians, naive and unfeeling as they all seem to be in the Dreamworld, don't know about the affair and thus assume politics was behind it, having absolutely NO understanding of a person's feelings for the same reason Calah is such a bad father.[/quote]

That's a very likely possibility. :mrgreen:
matsananimal

Postby Barrahir on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:14 pm

After reading through this topic, I think I'm the only one who actually likes the character :|
Barrahir

Postby Twilight on Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm

aw, it's not like that. Part of the reason this thread got so messed up is 'cuz matsananimal existed.

Calah's a likable enough character, but just 'cuz the character is doesn't mean that who he is as a person is actually good. Kind of like how everyone likes the ******* character but either do or do not realize that if that character were a real person, he would suck XD

I did tryto defend the guy, but I feel people are biased 'cuz of Namah's childhood imprisonment . That fact alone makes people despise him.
Twilight

Postby Barrahir on Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:28 pm

You make quite a valid point there :P
Barrahir

Postby Zagura on Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:02 pm

Calah seems too bound to his job. But beyond imprisoning Namah and all, I also think hes a little on the iffy side because of what happened to their mothers. I mean, where are they? :/

They cant possibly BOTH have died giving birth or something and simply poofed into the afterlife... So either Calah is depriving them of their children or of course maybe they don't care about them.
(Which is plausible but unlikely...I mean given certain situations parents have to give their child away in wake of large debts and or "a chance at a better life" and other less than noble reasons.)
Zagura

Postby Barrahir on Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:24 pm

Living with the Viscount? I think that's the best chance for a better life they can get :D But really, their mothers' fate is unknown so we can only guess.
Barrahir

Postby Monstermonkey on Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:49 pm

I don't know why any of you are on Calah's side. He may be dumb, overburdened, etc., but it was still his choice to lock up Namah. Not a good thing to do to your daughter.
Monstermonkey

Postby Calico Yorki on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:44 pm

On Calah.

I actually eMailed Dave on this.

Essentially, the Viscount doesn't hate Namah - It's not that he wants to ruin Namah's life. He's just so focused on his life as a politician that it's basically consumed nearly every facet of his existence. And can we honestly say he's any kind of a malicious person?

My opinion has changed since my last post, so excuse that. Think about it. His treatment of Namah isn't excusable in any way, but he could do much worse. At least she gets to come out sometimes. While it was grossly optimistic and misguided, at least he tried to provide her with what he thought was an effective education. And I don't think we can really take seriously the whole "I knew I should have used chains" comment.

I'm not saying the Viscount's actions are excusable. But he's hardly a malign individual, and it's just not fair to say he's out to ruin Namah's life or some and such.

Viscount Calah is a politician. He's an expert in the political affairs of his life.

Too much expertise in that area, and not enough in raising his own children.

When was the last time you saw someone running for a public office and thought "Well gee, they must have the best relationship with their children!"

Can anyone think of how the Viscount can spend so much time and effort on his office and then go right around and be any kind of ideal father?

Can you tell me, how many of the Viscount's few scenes with his children haven't clearly displayed that he knows about as much about raising children as Grunn?

Go ahead, I'll wait. At least Grunn is pretty honest about how clueless he is on kids.

I'd be surprised if the Viscount doesn't have to take monthly refresher courses on shoe-tying.

Though, seeing how he'd interact with Namah face-to-face would be hilarious.

If Namah didn't kick him in the -Heyyo!- and run off first.

...Yeah she'd prolly do that first.
Calico Yorki

Location: With the Purple, the People, the Plastic-Eating People

Postby DoctorWhat on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:20 pm

Calico Yorki wrote:On Calah.

I actually eMailed Dave on this.

Essentially, the Viscount doesn't hate Namah - It's not that he wants to ruin Namah's life. He's just so focused on his life as a politician that it's basically consumed nearly every facet of his existence. And can we honestly say he's any kind of a malicious person?

My opinion has changed since my last post, so excuse that. Think about it. His treatment of Namah isn't excusable in any way, but he could do much worse. At least she gets to come out sometimes. While it was grossly optimistic and misguided, at least he tried to provide her with what he thought was an effective education. And I don't think we can really take seriously the whole "I knew I should have used chains" comment.

I'm not saying the Viscount's actions are excusable. But he's hardly a malign individual, and it's just not fair to say he's out to ruin Namah's life or some and such.

Viscount Calah is a politician. He's an expert in the political affairs of his life.

Too much expertise in that area, and not enough in raising his own children.

When was the last time you saw someone running for a public office and thought "Well gee, they must have the best relationship with their children!"

Can anyone think of how the Viscount can spend so much time and effort on his office and then go right around and be any kind of ideal father?

Can you tell me, how many of the Viscount's few scenes with his children haven't clearly displayed that he knows about as much about raising children as Grunn?

Go ahead, I'll wait. At least Grunn is pretty honest about how clueless he is on kids.

I'd be surprised if the Viscount doesn't have to take monthly refresher courses on shoe-tying.

Though, seeing how he'd interact with Namah face-to-face would be hilarious.

If Namah didn't kick him in the -Heyyo!- and run off first.

...Yeah she'd prolly do that first.

Yeah, now that I think about it, you're probably right. But still, that degree of selfishness (because it is selfish) and negligence makes him despicable in my eyes.

In the words of Finn the Human:
Finn the Human wrote:Mamas are supposed to love babies! THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO LOVE BABIES!

Like you said, his actions are inexcusable. He could have had Namh adopted in secret. f course, we don't know the circumstances of her birth...locking her up may have very well been the only option that would have preserved his political standing. But still, a father should think of his children first.
DoctorWhat

Postby Citizen837852 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:02 am

I think there is a guilt and regret on Viscount's part. Think about it, what stopping him from dumping Namah in the orphanage? Something about his character? Namah's mother? Lilith's Mother (Complicated relationship twist)? Other people?

It is too early to discount the "good side" of Viscount's character and there is a lot of room to explore his character. ;)
Citizen837852

---------

Previous

Return to DK Characters