Viscount Calah

Have a favorite character in the series? Any that remind you of a real person you know? Talk about the ones you like, the ones you hate, and see what others think.

Re: Viscount Calah

Postby DoctorWhat on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:53 pm

Health wrote:Let me be a little heartless here, but isn't the best way of hiding an illegitimate child is to get rid of her quietly.

If you look at Tinsel, for example, first thing she does when Viscount's daughters cross her path is try to kill them even if she is to become their stepmother.

So clearly there is at least one character more cruel and selfish for al the hate to go into.

Well clearly, but she is a VILLAIN, and explicitly displayed as such, so as a writer I can't hate on Tinsel for being a well-written and evil villain. I respect her as the queen of all vice and evil. I have come to expect these things from her. But Calah on the other hand....he's supposedly a good guy, yet he neglects his daughter for the purpose of protecting himself. His actions, despite not being a villain, are dispicable.
DoctorWhat

Postby matsananimal on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:58 pm

DoctorWhat wrote:
Health wrote:Let me be a little heartless here, but isn't the best way of hiding an illegitimate child is to get rid of her quietly.

If you look at Tinsel, for example, first thing she does when Viscount's daughters cross her path is try to kill them even if she is to become their stepmother.

So clearly there is at least one character more cruel and selfish for al the hate to go into.

Well clearly, but she is a VILLAIN, and explicitly displayed as such, so as a writer I can't hate on Tinsel for being a well-written and evil villain. I respect her as the queen of all vice and evil. I have come to expect these things from her. But Calah on the other hand....he's supposedly a good guy, yet he neglects his daughter for the purpose of protecting himself. His actions, despite not being a villain, are dispicable.

And thus, Viscount Calah is amoungst the most want to be killed characters of DK. :evil:
matsananimal

Postby Health on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:52 pm

Since when does being a villain excuses the character from all the wrongdoing, no matter how inhumane they might be?
Suppose it turns out Tinsel is actually Namah's mother, then you will get stuck with a real failure as a parent, defined by character and not circumstances, and the thing that would separate hate from respect is a tag of being a villain?

But I do mention Tinsel for a compare, so back to the main topic:
What is my thought about Viscount's behaviour is that exposing Namah to the public wouldn't simply be bad for reputation, but actually become a major weakness in the game of politics with a strong possibility of being demoted from the post.

Now imagine, what such scandal would do not only for a famous man, but also to his family. What I see in particular is shame and poverty. No man could willingly condemn his children to such future.

Of course all of this is based upon single fact that Namah is still alive and doesn't seem to be under actual form of arrest, seeing how in V1 she is allowed to attend school, and can leave tower via telepad for example.
Health

Postby DoctorWhat on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:24 pm

Health wrote:Since when does being a villain excuses the character from all the wrongdoing, no matter how inhumane they might be?
Suppose it turns out Tinsel is actually Namah's mother, then you will get stuck with a real failure as a parent, defined by character and not circumstances, and the thing that would separate hate from respect is a tag of being a villain?

But I do mention Tinsel for a compare, so back to the main topic:
What is my thought about Viscount's behaviour is that exposing Namah to the public wouldn't simply be bad for reputation, but actually become a major weakness in the game of politics with a strong possibility of being demoted from the post.

Now imagine, what such scandal would do not only for a famous man, but also to his family. What I see in particular is shame and poverty. No man could willingly condemn his children to such future.

Of course all of this is based upon single fact that Namah is still alive and doesn't seem to be under actual form of arrest, seeing how in V1 she is allowed to attend school, and can leave tower via telepad for example.
Perhaps I should have said that I love to hate villains. A good villain is rotten to the core and proud of it. It doesn't excuse the things that she's done at all, and despite her being a great villain I do eventually want to see her die in a great climatic battle, but that is a story for another thread.

As for Calah: yes, he could've brought himself to a life of abject poverty, and his daughters along with it. That does not excuse neglecting Namah. If he were a real man, he would have endured his bad rap, found a job in another field, given up on his political career and raised both Namah and Lilith himself. Instead, he caused Namah to suffer throughout her childhood and not be able to see the outside world until puberty. And he WONDERS why she acts up. :roll:
DoctorWhat

Postby Calico Yorki on Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:54 pm

On the subject of 'why didn't Calah just kill Namah'...

...It's not that he couldn't possibly have thought of it.

But think about it...He can imprison Namah, and try to give her some slight comforts. Why? He can't let the media found out he threw his own daughter in a cell, or outright killed her. So, which would be smarter...? Keep her locked up with a bed, T.V. time, blah blah blah, so that he can't be called completely abusive if the truth outs...

...Or, he can throw her in a cell and starve her of human contact, or even worse, kill her himself. He may be the Viscount, but no matter how powerful he is, unless he has absolute rule, he's still subject to laws. If he wasn't, why couldn't he just let everyone find out about his affair and just say "f##k you, I'm Viscount Calah' to anyone who tried to question him and have them silenced?

The politicians may be grossly over-privileged, but they still have to watch their step. They can get away with being jerkasses, because the worst that will happen is public hatred - Which is unlikely, because the public are becoming as docile as cattle at an alarming rate...However, even the Viscount can't do everything he wants.

I know I'm talking too much, but just consider - We know Viscount Calah, and we know he's...Moderately intelligent, at least when it comes to manipulating his adooorrriiing populace. -Ghlk- So, even if the media finds out about Namah, the worst, and an unlikely risk, is him losing his job - He gave her a bed and fed her, so we know he can weasel his way out of being accused of abuse.

However, unless it's his Power or something, I don't think he can get out of a punishment for killing her. He may have some shred of care for her (Aaahahahahahah. Funny.), or he may just be keeping cautious.

Also on the matter of Calah - You can't completely fault him for hooking up with Tinsel. We have to admit, she is hot, hot, she's burnin' hot, ow. ... Yes, quite. And we can surmise she approached[/i] him, so as to worm her way into authority.

Now, do you think Tinsel would reveal what a despicable wretch she is in a way that Calah could find out? Do you think he'd marry her if he thought she would have no problem with killing his daughters?

I think most of it is that Calah has 'selective perception'.

He can't admit his own faults to himself.

Still dislike 'im.
Calico Yorki

Location: With the Purple, the People, the Plastic-Eating People

Postby matsananimal on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:25 pm

Calico Yorki wrote:On the subject of 'why didn't Calah just kill Namah'...

...It's not that he couldn't possibly have thought of it.

But think about it...He can imprison Namah, and try to give her some slight comforts. Why? He can't let the media found out he threw his own daughter in a cell, or outright killed her. So, which would be smarter...? Keep her locked up with a bed, T.V. time, blah blah blah, so that he can't be called completely abusive if the truth outs...

...Or, he can throw her in a cell and starve her of human contact, or even worse, kill her himself. He may be the Viscount, but no matter how powerful he is, unless he has absolute rule, he's still subject to laws. If he wasn't, why couldn't he just let everyone find out about his affair and just say "f##k you, I'm Viscount Calah' to anyone who tried to question him and have them silenced?

The politicians may be grossly over-privileged, but they still have to watch their step. They can get away with being jerkasses, because the worst that will happen is public hatred - Which is unlikely, because the public are becoming as docile as cattle at an alarming rate...However, even the Viscount can't do everything he wants.

I know I'm talking too much, but just consider - We know Viscount Calah, and we know he's...Moderately intelligent, at least when it comes to manipulating his adooorrriiing populace. -Ghlk- So, even if the media finds out about Namah, the worst, and an unlikely risk, is him losing his job - He gave her a bed and fed her, so we know he can weasel his way out of being accused of abuse.

However, unless it's his Power or something, I don't think he can get out of a punishment for killing her. He may have some shred of care for her (Aaahahahahahah. Funny.), or he may just be keeping cautious.

Also on the matter of Calah - You can't completely fault him for hooking up with Tinsel. We have to admit, she is hot, hot, she's burnin' hot, ow. ... Yes, quite. And we can surmise she approached[/i] him, so as to worm her way into authority.

Now, do you think Tinsel would reveal what a despicable wretch she is in a way that Calah could find out? Do you think he'd marry her if he thought she would have no problem with killing his daughters?

I think most of it is that Calah has 'selective perception'.

He can't admit his own faults to himself.

Still dislike 'im.

If Viscount Calah learns what Tinsel is really doing... I don't know, If he comes to light of trying to seperate her from him, Tinsel might kill him.
matsananimal

Postby Health on Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:52 am

I see the point, where I might be one sided.
The truth is we don't know exactly what having an illegitimate child would consequence to, and actually anything we know about the Viscount is been through second hand perspective.
(except of course here: )

So instead of making assumptions, fact gathering would be more productive.

First of all, we know that Viscount is being fooled by Tinsel, that can suggest that the character is actually naive, and makes mistake of neglecting Namah out of his inexperience.
In V2, we can see, that Tinsel takes time to look innocent to Calah, and such act doesn't fool a lot of people.
With this I suggest that the main reason for Viscont's action is ignorance rather then being a jerk.
Health

Postby matsananimal on Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:41 am

Health wrote:I see the point, where I might be one sided.
The truth is we don't know exactly what having an illegitimate child would consequence to, and actually anything we know about the Viscount is been through second hand perspective.

First of all, we know that Viscount is being fooled by Tinsel, that can suggest that the character is actually naive, and makes mistake of neglecting Namah out of his inexperience.
In V2, we can see, that Tinsel takes time to look innocent to Calah, and such act doesn't fool a lot of people.
With this I suggest that the main reason for Viscont's action is ignorance rather then being a jerk.

I still think Viscout Calah is a jerk, but I do agree with you that he is mostly of ignorance.
matsananimal

Postby DoctorWhat on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:05 pm

matsananimal wrote:
Health wrote:I see the point, where I might be one sided.

I still think Viscout Calah is a jerk, but I do agree with you that he is mostly of ignorance.

I'm not sure its ignorance so much as naivete. I don't think Calah i a complete idiot: he is, in fact, an expert politician. He would have to be to get the position of Viscount. consider the Prelude comic , in which he gives a very good political response to Lilith's question. The man knows how to craft an image, but has one obvious weakness: women.

Not only does he fall for whatever Tinsel says every single time, we know that he has had romantic liaisons in the past because if he didn't, then where the hell did Namah come from? The stork?

His weakness for women suggests naivete and inexperience with anything other than politics, rather than ignorance. Only one thing bothers me about this, though: if he is such a good politician, why didn't he just find a way to spin Namah to his advantage?!?!? Granted, it would be very difficult, but not entirely impossible. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that an affair might be a little better received by the public than essentially holding your secret daughter hostage.

I could be completely wrong, but who cares?! this is exactly what I created this thread for: analyzing one of the characters that I despise most. Hell, I could very well be being completely and totally unfair to this guy!!
DoctorWhat

Postby matsananimal on Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:17 pm

With this I suggest that the main reason for Viscont's action is ignorance rather then being a jerk.[/quote]

I still think Viscout Calah is a jerk, but I do agree with you that he is mostly of ignorance.[/quote]
I'm not sure its ignorance so much as naivete. I don't think Calah i a complete idiot: he is, in fact, an expert politician. He would have to be to get the position of Viscount. consider the Prelude comic , in which he gives a very good political response to Lilith's question. The man knows how to craft an image, but has one obvious weakness: women.

Not only does he fall for whatever Tinsel says every single time, we know that he has had romantic liaisons in the past because if he didn't, then where the hell did Namah come from? The stork?

His weakness for women suggests naivete and inexperience with anything other than politics, rather than ignorance. Only one thing bothers me about this, though: if he is such a good politician, why didn't he just find a way to spin Namah to his advantage?!?!? Granted, it would be very difficult, but not entirely impossible. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that an affair might be a little better received by the public than essentially holding your secret daughter hostage.

I could be completely wrong, but who cares?! this is exactly what I created this thread for: analyzing one of the characters that I despise most. Hell, I could very well be being completely and totally unfair to this guy!![/quote]

We wouldn't have to be fair with him since we hate him.
matsananimal

---------

PreviousNext

Return to DK Characters