V3 SPOILERS: Production Notes & Stuff

Have a take on the latest Prelude strip? Share it in here! Just notice an enticing story hint in one of the graphic novels? Speculate away! Share feedback, large and small about your DreamKeepers experience. But beware, this forum may contain story spoilers.

V3 SPOILERS: Production Notes & Stuff

Postby Mr Aerospace on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:34 am

Continuing on from here:
Twilight wrote:So, it's information that needed to be there but wasn't inculded, basically. I wouldn't draw conclusions on anything, given that all the evidence to anything isn't evidence at all.
Mr Aerospace

Re: V3 SPOILERS: Production Notes & Stuff

Postby Mr Aerospace on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:17 pm

Alright, filling plot holes is a bad use for the additional notes, and me jumping to conclusions using them is an even worse use.
I kinda wanted to say that done well, they are good for adding extra dimensions and new side-plot to the story. They can add plenty of intrigue, add some ambiguity and make us question what's really going on in the story, have derpy little jokes and curiosities, etc. That can really have us brimming with anticipation, and the real reason why they are not unimportant parts of the book. I doubt I would have been engrossed in the story if there wasn't ridiculous amounts of stuff to speculate on at the end of V2.
Mr Aerospace

Postby BigEasy on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:13 am

Since the story is, at this point, not even close to finished, a lot of what we're doing here is essentially speculation about events to come. The extra tidbits provided in the production notes are not crucial to the story, at least not yet. They are, however, a very useful source of information and clues to the world and the story. When we're trying to envision what's to come, really nothing should be off-limits. Addenda, production notes, Prelude, even David's Twitter are all valid sources of information on this front. Only time, and the eventual completion of the saga, will tell us if the narrative holds up on its own. In the mean time, these extra pages offer a lot of extra lore and clues to ponder, and now we have "ridiculous amounts of stuff to speculate on" at the end of V3!
BigEasy

Postby Mr Aerospace on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:58 am

Yay! And now...let's speculate! Specifically on the specious subject of Operation Guillotine that is posted on O'Naiculs spectacular Troika file.

It's fairly straight forward that one objective of guillotine is to kill O'Naicul. I don't doubt that other names are actually on that list too, such as Vox...but I wonder if it the operation title is a metaphor for someone being the "head" of a group. I also get the feeling that the post-it note indicates that the operation has already begun in earnest.
Mr Aerospace

Postby BigEasy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:51 am

The name of the operation certainly suggests a decapitation attack. Such an attack is characterized by a sudden, decisive strike targeting the opponent's leadership and command structure. By eliminating or disrupting as much of the command chain as possible, the enemy forces become paralyzed momentarily as they try to establish who is in command anymore.
Certainly O'Naicul, the leader of a street gang including other dark DKs, is a relevant target. Tinsel would be another target, given her high political position that places her dangerously close to the Shock Trooper C&C. We might, however, also glean something about the potential success of the operation.
We can safely assume Tinsel would be a target if their efforts were to destroy the dark DK leadership. We can also assume that such an attack would have to take place before the dark DKs made any serious move to seize control, since the resistance needs to be able to reach them to eliminate the threat and this cannot be guaranteed if the dark DKs launch a coup or declare martial law.
However, in the opening of volume2, chapter 4, the Overview: the Third War of Anduruna, the footnotes contain this about Tinsel:
"...although she became notorious in later times for various heinous actions committed as a dark dreamkeeper"
If she survived long enough to become notorious, then that would suggest that she survived Operation Guillotine.
BigEasy

---------

Return to Comic story chat room