This idea is stuck in my head and I can't get it out.

Every human has their own unique persona in the DreamWorld - and, frequently, online! Come mingle with the colorful cast, and introduce your own character to the mix.

This idea is stuck in my head and I can't get it out.

Postby Clast on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:57 am

Auauagh. I am tired. It is very late right now, I should be in bed, I have work to do, and my house is very quite right now. However, these have never been reasons for me to stop what I am doing in the past, and they won't be now.

Hello. My forum name is Clast. I thought I should do a short introduction, because, well, I rarely leave the RP section of this forum, and have only actually participated in two of these said RP's as of yet. This leads me to believe that not many forum-goers here have actually "met" me, as near as you can get to that on the internet. However, the few who I have shared discussions/games with will (hopefully) be able to recognize me as someone who loves to delve deep into the theory and story-line behind whatever I read, and also as an adequate writer.

Right, introductions over. Now to this idea of mine. It is a bit complicated. I have always fantasized about the "real" world that the Dreamkeepers live in. I use the term real because I am not focused on the "Nightmare" aspect of this lovely world we have been gifted with, but more so the every day lives of the citizens of Anduruna. I myself am fascinated with Human history (despite not knowing much about it), and I find Anduruna to be a unique civilization compared to what we, as humans, no. From what I can tell, the city of Anduruna is doomed to failure and limited success, what with an arrogant and far-off government system out of touch with its citizens. Sure, the "image" of peace floats overhead, but it is quite clear that peace is just not possible for the rowdy people of Anduruna.

My main examples for this failure of a social system are twofold. First, imagine the speed in which a mob was created in the Second Volume of Dreamkeepers. In less than five minutes, a pair of scantly clad dancers created, essentially, what amounts to a drunken mob scene, which the city guards were unable to control. With that kind of disorder, how can the 'Keepers be expected to form a coherent and structured society? It just doesn't work.

Anywho, my second example. The Troika (spelling?). Somewhere, hidden inside this "peaceful" and "free" city is a powerful rebel ground, hiding under the nose of the state government and the regular people. As far as we, as readers, know, this could be the Dreamkeepers version of the PIRA, (I apologize in advance if this offends anyone. I only wish to use that dreadful terrorist organization as an example. I don't want to stir up any bad memories, or touchy situations. That is not my intent.) a group of rebels who are trying to split off from and/or remove the current government from power. I know Scinter seems lovable, but then again, he didn't seem to have any problem with Grunn shooting a child. I'm not sure I trust the stability of Anduruna when trigger-happy paramilitary organizations toting massive Gatling-guns are lurking beneath the surface.

Whew.

Alright, the first Wall of text is over. If you've made it this far, I suggest you get up and move around a little bit. I'm not going to slow down anytime soon.

Ready? Good.

I have already stated that I am first: much more interested in the city of Anduruna and its people than I am in the supernatural elements of the Dreamworld. Second: I find the contained civilization of Anduruna unstable and on the brink of collapsing under the stress of its own people. The last thing few things I haven't mentioned? I love choose-your-own adventure novels. I know they're often childish, but I always liked the ability to read a book with at least some ability to control the situation. Also? I genuinely enjoy writing. Here's where this IDEA I mentioned at the very beginning comes in.

I am going to write a "real" (remember how I described it) Dreamkeepers choose-your-own adventure, where anyone who wants to participate can. I understand that some people have done this kind of thing before. I remember seeing a Dreamworld MS Paint Adventure, and that's kind of the same thing as what I'm doing, but in the name of fun, I doubt anyone will actually mind. Ugh. Now that that's all out, I can get to some details.

One, this is going to be serious. I am going to put as much effort as I can manage into this, to make it interesting and unique to read. I would prefer it if anyone interested does respond with random junk. I would like this to continue at a steady pace. Next, why is this in the Character Cafe? Shouldn't it be in the RP section? Well, if you ask this, your probably right, but I chose to take a few liberties (here's hoping I'm not called on it) and place it here, because the story focuses on only one character, not a group of different PC's. Think of him/her as a Public Player Character, PPC from hereon. Everyone influences his/her decisions. By the way, I'll keep gender indeterminate for now, until I make a decision.

Speaking of decisions, I've been rambling long enough. This is how it works. I'll post a description of the what's going on, you'll read it, and then explain what the PPC should do next. I will allow people to delegate to some small amount, but the final response must be written in BOLD. If only one person is interested in this, well, then all the decisions fall on you. However, all in game writing will be done by me. This isn't like a standard RP. If that bothers some people, then I would highly suggest you not be bothered by it, and only participate if you really want to. If no one wants to play, then oh well, I've just written all this for nothing other than my personal amusement :P. No hard feelings.

If people are indeed interested, I will snap up a Headless Room topic for the players, and write the opening in the RP section. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Me? I'm getting some sleep. I'll start setting things up in the next few days there's interest. Peace.
Clast

Re: This idea is stuck in my head and I can't get it out.

Postby Reed R Gale on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:46 am

Alright I'll respond in chronological order of what you said.

First, go so sleep you sleep deprived man! Second, I'm still not too sure this goes in this section, but whatever, it'll be moved if it matters. ;)

I'll begin by stating I am far more interested in the supernatural portion of the society than anything else, but that doesn't mean that I don't have an interest in the cultures and stability of the government of the graphic novel I read and love.

I think you have a point, the society is easily riled and that there is a rebel group right under the noses of the government. Also, I agree that the society is pretty much living under an illusionary peace. Whether they buy into it or not, we don't know. We haven't really had enough glimpses of the masses to make any concrete judgements as of yet.

I'll also throw in my own input that we too are living in an illusion of peace and that our government itself will probably eventually collapse under the stress of the people. But I digress.

An MSPA of dreamkeepers eh? I've thought about it myself at times. In fact we actually had LotF working on one a long time ago, but that's old news.

You're going to do this entirely in the form of written text, huh? I have to ask, since this if going to be
serious are you going to skirt around the funnies? Or are you going to simply going to keep the the serious business? ...or would it be my job to add the funnies as a contributor?

In any case, I'm interested. I'll help you in any way you need to to.

Cheers,

Reed R Gale
Reed R Gale

Postby Clast on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:19 pm

YES! Someone is interested! And now that I'm well-rested, I can answer your questions, Reed.

I'll begin by saying, that yes, you are correct that we don't know enough about the Anduruna citizens to make a judgement on its people. I'm just working with what I know. Also, just because we don't know doesn't mean I can't use my imagination! I'll fill in the blanks we have myself, for now. Oh, and your right again about our own world's dystopian systems, many of them are collapsing as we speak. However, the people seem (in general) to be much less quickly to rile. Oh well.

I have seen the old Paint Adventure, somewhere deep in the RP area. I arrived much to late to the scene to actually participate, and that game seemed to peter out quite quickly. Not enough interest? Beats me. Speaking of funnies, I did say this was going to be serious. However, I'll be lenient. I just don't want people commanding the PPC to, say, kill themselves, or randomly attack someone else, or up and insult NPC's out of character. Just don't go crazy, and most anything will be alright.
Clast

Postby Reed R Gale on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:55 pm

Could we, say, ask then to retrieve arms?!?

Nah, that joke wouldn't work without pictures.
Reed R Gale

Postby Avolendi on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:55 am

I'm interested. Whether it's social, political, historical or such, I tend to base my interested on how well defined things are. Given a base I can often easily expand on it ^^

Do want to note on the "unable to prevent drunken mob scene". The setting is during a city wide festival and from what we know it's been peaceful for a long time (at least on the surface), so there wouldn't be large numbers of police mobilized.
The only law enforcements are those taking the house under siege and with the perimeter broken and already drunken people being enticed, I don't find it that unreasonable. And that's without taking into account Ziska in the background might have had anything to do with giving people an extra mental push to go ahead.

@Reed: xD

"You see a boardgame lying under the bed"
You pick up the board game, it's an RPG!
"Use arms with RPG"

Code: Select all
.\
:.\*     _(O)                                             \ \ X / /
¦:  )====\|==|]) (/\=)----.._.--**'"""**\___...--*""**- = - X X X -
:'/*   :://==\\                                            // X \ \
'/     ||    ||
     |==/    ||
Avolendi

Postby Clast on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:56 pm

Alright, Avolendi, I can see your point. But still, don't focus too much on my own crackpot theories. There unimportant, and more often than not uninteresting. Don't lose any sleep over a single mob scene and all its theory and design. That's the kind of thing I do, and I can let you know from experience that it isn't a very good idea. Reed was correct again. Sleep is good.

Also. I think you two are imagining this much more like a MS Paint Adventure than it really is. My goal was, more than anything else, to create a story where other forum-goers can step in and decide what will happen next. Thus my mentioning of those old "Choose-your-own-adventure" books from when I was younger.

On a lighter note, I'll probably be starting soon. Since I've got two people at least interested, I can get it going and anyone else who wants to join can step in and participate. I'll likely have the other Topics and the starting introduction up on Friday evening, if everyone is ready and willing. This doesn't need too much preparation, so we can just go once your ready.
Clast

Postby Reed R Gale on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:00 pm

I understand. I'll need to come up with more text based jokes.
Reed R Gale

Postby Clast on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:08 pm

Don't feel rushed.
Clast

Postby Reed R Gale on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:12 pm

Never am.
Reed R Gale

Postby Mr Aerospace on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:19 am

Okay, first of all, I believe the term for this particular area of interest is Sociology, and (surprise surprise) it is one of my many fascinations in life.

However, I need to point out that I hold some reservations about starting a project like this so early in our understanding of the Dreamworld. We haven’t really experienced enough of Dave’s world to really reconstruct Andurunan culture and society in a tangible and meaningful way. For example, what we know as fact of the Troika comes from a single comment made in passing by one of the Indigos . Pretty much every else so far is speculation from snapshots. I doubt that we can give the Troika the treatment it deserves from that. It would be like trying to construct a complex mechanical lego model without instructions, using just the images from the box.

Don’t take me the wrong way though. I think this is a really original concept. The idea of neutralizing the fantasy overtones of DreamKeepers to build a story focusing on day to day life in the dreamworld is ingenious, and really reflects what the story is all about. I think you are right about how fragile the city is too. A whole bunch of factors have weakened Anduruna’s “peaceful and ordered” society, and it is right on the verge of collapsing into chaos, and this calm before the storm is absolutely fascinating.

But, for now all I can suggest to you is to hold back this project until V3 comes out.
Mr Aerospace

---------

Next

Return to Character cafe'