The real reason for Halloween

Discuss this year's DK Fanart contest, share spooky stories, compare costumes, and enjoy all things Halloween!

The real reason for Halloween

Postby Hakuzo NightFox on Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:39 am

I'm surprised this hasn't came up yet, but anyone here know the real reason why Halloween came about?

It was originally a pagan holiday. The point is, the veil between worlds is supposed to be the weakest on Halloween night. So spirits and ghosts roam the streets. The Jack-o-lanterns and the costumes where used as protections. The wearing of masks was to scare away the spirits.

Now... not sure where the candy came in, but I seem to remember there was something involved with it. Either it was to lure the spirits away by throwing something sweet away from you or so such thing.

So like all the holidays, it has been transformed into a merchandising mess. The true meanings of these holidays have been lost.
Hakuzo NightFox

Re: The real reason for Halloween

Postby Dez on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:38 pm

I believe that the candy came in at one point for a reward for said children who did wear costumes compared to those who didn't.

However, today looking around in store, BEFORE HALLOWEEN, there was a fully decorated Christmas tree in a store right at the entrance...WHY?!?!?!?!
Dez

Postby RedFox on Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:21 pm

Dez:

Because Halloween is actually Christmas wearing a very, very clever disguise.
RedFox

Postby Artist_Of_Sorts on Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:30 pm

Hakuzo NightFox wrote:Now... not sure where the candy came in, but I seem to remember there was something involved with it. Either it was to lure the spirits away by throwing something sweet away from you or so such thing.

I remember hearing somewhere that "Trick or Treat" simply evolved from the idea of the spirits roaming around on halloween night and playing tricks on people. Thus, kids now dress up creepy and and demand candy in exchange for not TP'ing your house.

I have no research to back that up though, so I'm not entirely sure.
Artist_Of_Sorts

Postby Zagura on Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:59 pm

Ive personally always wondered what ever happened to that thing called "Bobbing for Apples". It seems to be a tradition that has faded away, probably because its too challenging for its minimal rewards.
(Nearly drowning, back pains, and getting soaked for an apple you could easily pick up with your hands)
Zagura

Postby dracone on Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:08 am

Halloween was known by the Celts as Souen (pronounced Sow-en), it was/is their New year's Eve, they believed the the veil between the land of the dead and land of the living was weakest on a night where on year ended and another began. Random side note if you go around saying "Happy New Year" in public and the MMORPGs you will get people who actually want to know why you are say that, that or strange looks. The practice of the mask on All Hallows Eve, what the Christians called All Hollow Eve after they assimilated which later became the holiday we call Halloween, came from the Celts wearing scary masks to frighten away evil spirits and the practice of wearing costumes came from their celebrations which involved dressing up as Fey, faeries, and goblins to keep them from causing problems during the festivities of the New Year's celebration.

Go on and say it, I know you want to. Please just pm it to me.
dracone

---------

Return to Halloween