The Other Orphans

Have a favorite character in the series? Any that remind you of a real person you know? Talk about the ones you like, the ones you hate, and see what others think.

Re: The Other Orphans

Postby Suraru on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:54 pm

it is, it is very offtopic (by now)

i was talking about raping the dreamworld and messing with the characters backgrounds... but i went to far... LOL

also, fore, its thursday
Suraru

Postby Oseirus on Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:33 pm

Since Grunn wasn't actually identified during the whole house raid fiasco, I don't think it's a stretch to say we'll be seeing more of the orphans. The orphanage is one of their "safehouses". What exactly that means remains to be seen, but it's silly to think that the orphans are going to just vanish. They may not have as much of a front-stage role as they did in Prelude, but they're still going to be a part of the story, and my guess is that we may see some surprises out of them, both good and bad.

Especially with Mr. Ominious Skunk thing. David has a habit of putting soon-to-be important characters in his backgrounds. So when an unknown character gets his own special close-up like that, that tells me "hey, you REALLY need to pay attention to this". I kinda like the idea of the skunk being Nabonidus. Hadn't thought of it before, but it's not the most far-fetched theory I've seen. I mean, the guy doesn't even have pupils (like every other orphan behind him does). While all the other orphans flip out around him, he just kinda sits there watching.

Besides, Nab is a bit of a stinker.

:P
Oseirus

Postby Aurom on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:29 am

I gotta admit, I didn't originally like the idea of the skunk dude being Nabonidus, but the more you think about it the more it makes sense. Skunk dude's coloration is right for Nabonidus, his reaction seems appropriate, and neither of them have pupils... I will now proceed to check the eyes of every character in every scene of volumes one and two in order to confirm that they are skunk dude and nab are the only two without pupils. If this turns out to be the case, I'd consider it conclusive evidence.
Aurom

Postby Aurom on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:59 am

Yep. As best I can tell, every single dreamkeeper in volumes 1 and 2, except for Skunk-Dude, has pupils. On the other hand, none of the nightmares seem to have distinct pupils. The closest we get is a close-up of smiley in volume II on page 26, and even then they're just a brighter, glowie white against the normal whites of the eyes. If Skunk-Dude's lack of pupils isn't a noteworthy detail, then I don't know what is. Good catch Oseirus.
Aurom

Postby Aurom on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:41 am

Whelp. Skunk Dude's lack of pupils is no longer definitive prof that he's Nabonidus. Here's another dreamkeeper without them. Though maybe she's a bat-type dream keeper and supposed to be blind? I dunno. It does kinda call things into question though. Still. Not only does skunk dude not have pupils, but his eyes are the same shape as Nabonidus' eyes. That and the fact that Skunk Dude only appears in that page. Ever. That's the only place we see him at all. Which is suspicious, to say the least. I mean, either he's an orphaned ninja, or he's not one of the orphans. Though the ninja bit would explain why he's relatively calm... I guess the shock of Paige's death might have caused him to inadvertently reveal himself....
Aurom

---------

Previous

Return to DK Characters