The Other Orphans

Have a favorite character in the series? Any that remind you of a real person you know? Talk about the ones you like, the ones you hate, and see what others think.

The Other Orphans

Postby Zagura on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:07 am

I've been wondering for a while now, but it seems like a load of **** is about to blow soon story line wise, and when that happens, how will the remaining orphans react? None of them are clearly involved with Troika, but clearly they(Troika) have means of impressing/introducing themselves to orphans that have outgrown the orphanage and moved on, ie. Bobby.
While Randy's stance is clear, the others remain foggy in their possible outcome.

Current (Surviving) Orphans:
Narp
Krin
Deral
Koncord A
Koncord B
Gorse
Randy
Unknown Rat-like DK seen in the Cafeteria scene(Vol1.Ch1)
Unknown Ominous-looking Skunk-like DK seen with the rest upon discovering Mace&Paige (Vol1.Ch3)

6th and 7th Unidentified Specks one of which appears to be singing (Vol1.Ch2.P3)
Explanation: (Frame after the horn is blown)
4 Boats present.Noted: Koncords and Paige are on a boat that is not visible in that frame.
A Gorse & Randy
B Deral & Krin
C Narp & X
D Rat & X
Which may indicate that the Skunk was paired with someone else, which would mean even more orphans.

For all they matter though, they could just be fodder characters that will be suddenly and unfortunately killed off in a tragic accident, probably when they get separated in a "You guys go that way and we'll go this way" plan, or will melt away and disappear into the background from whence they came.

Anyhoo, Gorse seems to be friends with Randy as seen eating together, but it doesn't necessarily mean hes gone bad. I can hardly imagine Narp doing anything too crazy either. But then evil tends to exploit those little flaws in a person's character, Id have no doubts the Nightmares wouldn't.
Zagura

Re: The Other Orphans

Postby Twilight on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:15 am

Well, unless David's plans have changed, the orphans should actually play no further role in the graphic novels. Originally they were just there to fill up space in the orphanage, and the only reason they even have names now is because David started writing prelude and decided they needed to be part of it.

Other than that, we can expect them to just fade into the background from here on in.
Twilight

Postby UberUrsa on Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:41 am

What about that whole thing with Randy in the volume three update? He was wearing a nice shirt and all, although he is an exception since he is the only named one in the graphic novels...
UberUrsa

Postby Twilight on Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:01 pm

You have a point. . that, I don't know about. It's possible that he's still just pretending to be one of the orphans. They might still fade away. . . still though, I'm drawing a blank on that one.

Good call
Twilight

Postby Sorrel on Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:45 pm

To be honest, I'd say Randy's the exception to the rule. Dave said in a Prelude caption that the other orphans were literally designed as he drew the panels -- so there wasn't much in the way of planning involved. But since Randy is named in the novels, and there is some concept art that exists for his design, I'd venture to say that he alone might be a relevant character from the orphan group. Wouldn't expect that of the others, though.
Sorrel

Postby Randomonioum on Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:28 pm

Besides, I think by the orphans, its meant the ones who have only been seen in the orphanage, or, at least not outside in any real relevance to the story. Randy is an exception because he is clearly affiliated with the Dark Dreamkeepers, and has been seen with them. On the other hand, we have, say, the Koncords, who have only ever been seen in the orphanage, and likely that will stay the same.
Randomonioum

Postby Zagura on Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:44 pm

Oh well. XD If they're meant to just disappear, thats fine by my book, Id rather hear about Mace's adventures anyhow. =P Besides, theres still prelude.
Zagura

Postby Randomonioum on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:34 pm

The prelude was the very reason they got their names, as its been said before. So lets be glad they won't disappear in the prelude... right guys?
Randomonioum

Postby Devious_Psychopath on Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:38 pm

At least until Prelude comes to a close. But that won't happen for a very long time.
Devious_Psychopath

Postby Hakuzo NightFox on Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:49 am

Devious_Psychopath wrote:At least until Prelude comes to a close. But that won't happen for a very long time.

You mean there's an end to it o.O....

As far as I know, they plan to run preludes until they run out of ideas. :geek:
Hakuzo NightFox

---------

Next

Return to DK Characters