The Great Forum Hunt of 2012

Wanna chat about something that *gasp* isn't in one of the all-encompassing categories? Come on in!

What should we do with the forums?

KEEP the old ones!
No votes
Find a new FREE one!
17%
PAY for a new one! (Sadly I can't help)
No votes
PAY for a new one! (I'll even volunteer some money)
67%
Find someone to BUILD one!
17%
I have a better idea! (Comment below)
No votes

Total votes : 6

The Great Forum Hunt of 2012

Postby Oseirus on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:18 pm

Alright, here's the scoop. As many of you have probably noticed the forums have been particularly unstable lately. Numerous crashes, long down times, slow loading... and I'm sure many of you can agree it's time for a new forum.

The problem is, we don't know how we should approach this.

There are four options:

1) Find a new (hopefully better) free forum. The drawback here is that we won't know if the new forums are any better until some time down the road. Worst case scenario we'd be repeating this process all over again in a couple years.

2) Pay for a new forum. The odds of finding a more stable platform here are much higher, but it would require a dedicated few to cover whatever running costs the forum would require. Note here that only a *FEW VOLUNTEERS* would be required to pick up the tab, and general membership would still be completely free for the rest.

3) Create a new forum. We would have our own, independent forum created by us, for us. The obvious issue here is that we would need a dedicated team (or a super dedicated individual) to code and subsequently maintain the forums. There could also possibly be an increase in server costs for the website, which may require some forum-goer assistance.

4) Keep these same ones. It's an option, but not a great one. Unless you're a glutton for punishment and LIKE getting error messages every time you post.

Here's your chance to weigh in! Vote in the poll. Give us your suggestions. If you know of any good places to host the new forum, tell us. If you're a forum coding wizard, let us know. We need the input.

Now, the catch: most, if not all, of the data from the current forum would be LOST. This includes membership and a vast majority of the posts. We would be starting from scratch. Something to consider as you make your decision.

Once we have a good, solid, presentable case we will submit the suggestions up the chain to the big cheese himself. Ultimately what happens with the forums is up to Dave, however if we do our research it will make his choice much easier on him, and the transition to the new forum much smoother.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them. At this point we're still in the early stages of planning, so unfortunately answers to those questions might be somewhat generic and sparse. Once we have a better idea where we're going, you will too.
Oseirus

Re: The Great Forum Hunt of 2012

Postby Reed R Gale on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:05 pm

I'll throw this little tidbit of info in here: My senior project has to do with forums. If I find any useful data for us, I'll bring it up. Right now I only know basic HTML, but I'm gonna have to contruct a new forum or find a template ANYWAY. At the same time, I'm a busy person, so I don't know if I'd be able to maintain the thing or pay for the server costs. I'm gonna be in college soon after all. :/

So I'll keep you all posted.

Hmhmhm. A scratch, huh?
Reed R Gale

Postby DanWithTheHat on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:18 pm

Using a paid-for forum host would definitely increase stability. If we want people to donate consistently though, there would need to be some type of incentive to do so. Maybe have a donor badge on the forums for people who donate?
DanWithTheHat

Postby Twilight on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:37 pm

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but this is actually an issue we've thought about and are in the middle of doing something about. Things have been a little slow for various reasons, but we anticipate good things in the near future ^^
Twilight

Postby Oseirus on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:43 pm

@Reed: Actually that would be super helpful. Even if you can't personally create or maintain the final product, it at least gives us an idea of what it would take and what kind of manpower we would need to make our own forum.

DanWithTheHat wrote:Maybe have a donor badge on the forums for people who donate?

I like this idea. Something superficial to thank the people who help support our new web-home. I'm thinking a two-tier system, one for the few who directly support the forum monthly or whatever, and a second for one-time donors. Although simply the "tiers" would probably just be different colors or something...

For the record, even little ideas like this help when it comes to picking the new forum. So anyone who comes up with something, please share! If we can get a features wish-list going, it might help us narrow down who we ultimately host with.

@Twi:

I... well... oh. Crap. S'pose it would have been a great idea to ask before leaping into the fray... Guess I'll go wipe this egg off my face now.
Oseirus

Postby Reed R Gale on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:45 pm

@ Os You did a good job stepping up to the plate anyway. We can't let the mods do everything. :)

@ Twi, so there you have it. You have at least a few forum goers if you ever need help with anything. Just throwing that out there. ;)
Reed R Gale

Postby Oseirus on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:55 pm

Wasn't just me that "stepped up". A few of us were talking late in chat last night, finally realized how tired we were of the forumsfree shenanigans. I think it was me, Chemical_Cutthroat, MrAerospace, DanWithTheHat, Zagura and... at least two others. I can't think of their names at the moment.

All the same, it's good that it's getting worked out. It was funny, really, when I originally tried to put this thread up I got an error saying the server was unavailable. It's like they knew... :P
Oseirus

Postby DanWithTheHat on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:19 am

Even though they are already in the process of improving the forum, we can still use this thread to share and discuss what we would like in an improved forum. Maybe we can come up some ideas that haven't been thought of yet that will make this forum a better place.
DanWithTheHat

Postby Twilight on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:38 am

I like Dan's idea 8 )

And don't worry Oseirus. It's cool you took the initiative.
Twilight

Postby Thegunner18 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:28 pm

Well...for now at least it seems like the problems have been fixed (for me anyway. I don't know about anyone else). I'm going to hold back on saying anything at the moment. If it all goes to crap again then sure, we should be probably do something else. ^^
Thegunner18

---------

Next

Return to 'Other' - miscellaneous discussion