The Dreamkeepers Wiki Site Thread

For miscellaneous speculation about the Dreamworld and dreamkeepers, you've come to the right place!

Re: The Dreamkeepers Wiki Site Thread

Postby UberUrsa on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:24 am

After taking a look at MEW I came to a few conclusions:

There is no description of what the heck mass effect is on the front page of the wiki. This may not be as big of a deal for them, but for us this is a big deal. The wiki may be many people's first impressions of the series and as such we need at least a brief description of the world on the front page so that they at least know what the heck they are looking at.

This probably jumped out at me because I only have a vague knowledge of what mass effect is about. I know its scifi and has decisions in it, and there my knowledge stops, and after looking at the front page I still have no desire to learn more. We need a hook that gets people saying "Hmm, I wonder what that is, let's click on the link" and then we can lead them on a fun little Wiki binge that at least gets them interested.

I do like how they have the pages linked with pictures of what the article, and we do have that rockin on our own wiki so that's good.
UberUrsa

Postby Zagura on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:51 pm

UberUrsa wrote:There is no description of what the heck mass effect is on the front page of the wiki. This may not be as big of a deal for them, but for us this is a big deal. The wiki may be many people's first impressions of the series and as such we need at least a brief description of the world on the front page so that they at least know what the heck they are looking at.

That is a point, most people would know what ME is before going there. We could probably either include a small description, or once the wikia starts going, we'll use the featured article box.

Noted, the categories are pretty much down... we can start talking about whats going to go onto the character pages. Since its best to start with a single page and work from there, I nominate Mace (seeing as he IS technically the main protagonist, i think...) to be our "test subject". XD
Zagura

Postby Lord of the Forest on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:20 pm

My only issue currently is that we change the Plots heading to something along the lines of Comic/Volume Summaries.

For the character template, I'd remove the Death heading. It's just something that I don't see a need for that can't be summed up in the Bio. Pre-comic Life can be summed up as Prelude. Other than that I can't see much that needs to be added to it at this time.
Lord of the Forest

Postby Zagura on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:18 am

Mace's page is being used for a guinea pig of sorts.
Anything and everything is up for discussion.
This is only a preliminary layout so we have something to work with.

After talking about its layout, there have been various changes made to the original layout.
-Character Quote: moved to Italicized Area
-Character Table: removed superfluous information
-Spoilers Tag code added
-Character Bio: Suggested info added, original character sheet info moved to here.
-Character Power: Suggested info added.
-Trivia: Suggested info added.
-References: Code added, click view source and scroll down.

Code: Select all
BODY OF TEXT<ref> Reference Text: can be link or text or etc.</ref>

===References===
<references/>
Zagura

Postby Zagura on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:46 am

Time for some good old thread necro.

Well I've gone and renovated the main page into separate modules which with a little more coding will be much easier to access and modify. The nav bar is now also updated to current wikia standards and is working again.

Most templates can be accessed by */wiki/Template:MainPage_* depending on the particular object desired.

Now it just needs tons of content. >_>; Which at the moment is rather lacking.

PS> If there are any suggestion to the color scheme please feel free to PM me, or mess with it in CSS. I cant seem to get the colors to clash in a good way.
Zagura

Postby Mr Aerospace on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:24 pm

Oooh wow...this is an old post!
Ok, I like the idea with the datascroll. I wonder whether that could be used for the entire wiki. (The data scroll shape for a header, then adding a few tweaks to a simple light blue theme such as a little opacity and a good DK background)
Mr Aerospace

Postby Zagura on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:07 pm

Mr Aerospace wrote:Oooh wow...this is an old post!
Ok, I like the idea with the datascroll. I wonder whether that could be used for the entire wiki. (The data scroll shape for a header, then adding a few tweaks to a simple light blue theme such as a little opacity and a good DK background)

In general most wikis have very flashy and image intensive main pages, sort of like a peacock strutting their stuff. Readable content is usually visually less intensive with images only to describe whatever is being talked about, such as a plot device or a weapon. I guess we could make a horizontal data scroll graphic like a banner for headings, but to put every body of text and heading into a data scroll like shape would be a little cluttered.

Being rather novice at arts and design, I'm very interested in help with the color scheme. For some reason I cant make the colors clash right.

ie: [:| <- End of data scroll | Direction of scroll paper -> ------
[:| -----HEADING OF SECTION----- |:}
Zagura

Postby Mr Aerospace on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:09 pm

I agree about the cluttering, but I did mean having the datascroll as page headers & footers rather than one for each text box and image, etc. (ouch, that'd just be labour intensive and ugly!).
I doubt an opacity effect would be too difficult though, it'd be kinda like adding an extra line into the table information (just like selecting a colour, just an extra line of info)

if you like, I can play a little with the .css file and show you what I have in mind...I'm just wondering whether you have a neater version of the .css file as taking it from the "view page source"version is not easy to work with!
Mr Aerospace

Postby Zagura on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:37 pm

Mr Aerospace wrote:if you like, I can play a little with the .css file and show you what I have in mind...I'm just wondering whether you have a neater version of the .css file as taking it from the "view page source"version is not easy to work with!

Oh yeah, umm they're available via *\MediaWiki:Wikia.css and *\MediaWiki:common.css, you can see them there. I don't think you can edit them directly unless you're an admin though.
Zagura

Postby Mr Aerospace on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:54 am

Ok, I've gone and tried out a few ideas on a test wikia page I made...and as I said, I'm no expert on it. I got opacities and could fix the background well enough for it to look like the beginnings of a data scroll, but I'm not succeeding in getting much else done.
The .css files are a little more difficult to access and manipulate than I thought for such a site, and even when I do locate them, I can't for the life of me even find half of the visible color palettes. I admit defeat for the current time.
Mr Aerospace

---------

Previous

Return to General