The Dreamkeepers Wiki Site Thread

For miscellaneous speculation about the Dreamworld and dreamkeepers, you've come to the right place!

Re: The Dreamkeepers Wiki Site Thread

Postby Twilight on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:12 pm

I was thinking. . . why aren't we using this setup? XD

It boils everything down to the most basic elements of the entire Dreamkeepers universe.

Dreamkeepers, Nightmares, History and Lore.

Lore encompasses everything from wild life and technology to geography and culture. . We got our work cut out for us, it looks like. As it's been stated, we don't need to plan out the entire wiki, just the ground work. The rest will fall into place.

Addendum: I guess there'd be a separate category devoted just to the volumes, unless we all feel like that could go under "History"

As far as the main page goes, It doesn't have to be too complicated; once we've decided on the main categories, the system will work itself out like those coin sorters!! 8D Those are fun to watch!
Twilight

Postby Zagura on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:29 pm

Twilight wrote:Dreamkeepers, Nightmares, History and Lore.

While there are plenty of Dreamkeeper characters, having a full navigation bar dedicated to just Nightmares (currently only 4-5 named so far and +1 if you include a "About Nightmares" page) seems excessive.

That aside, when the user rolls over a nav button they will be greeted by a long list of things. Currently 28 named Dreamkeepers, not including the additional 4 Dark Dreamkeepers which would total to 32 item drop down list, not withstanding future character introductions. Though the nightmares would be fine due to the lack of numbers, but again see the previous point.

My suggested organization in the Category Master List(CML) has Dreamkeeper/Nightmare Characters divided from Dreamkeeper and Nightmare information that relates to their Race as a whole. I believe racial information that pertains to the entirety of the Nightmare and Dreamkeeper population would best fit under lore.

This method gives the user easy access to characters by race and faction (none listed in CML), whether they are a Dreamkeeper, Dark Dreamkeeper, Nightmare, or apart of some shady organization. From there the user would be directed to a page dedicated to characters of the chosen category which would feature their name and perhaps a portrait, and then be able to access the individual character profiles. The faction/race/etc unique pages would also be able to link directly to their lore pages.

I do fully support the implementation of a history navigation bar, I simply left it out because of the vastness of its information. Feels odd having wiki pages with walls of text as we have no actual pictures of any of the historical events and such. These would have to be user generated or requested from David. (Though I doubt he has any images of ancient history Dreamworld).
Zagura

Postby Twilight on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:46 pm

Well, that list doesn't really have to have ALL the characters. It could easily have the more important ones and "More. . . "

Organizing the characters by faction and association is all nice and well for us because we know what's what, but someone who's just curiositing about won't know what's going on.

Basic product design dictates that a user will feel more compelled to use something if they can understand how it works just by looking at it. We could definitely have those categories, but I don't think they should be up in front of anyone who has no idea what any of it means.

Addendum: Just to clarify. I do think the faction thing IS a good idea and SHOULD be included. But I think, for the sake of newcomers, that the main interface should be a bit more straight forward. This will allow both newcomers and veterans to navigate the wiki according to their knowledge of the franchise.
Twilight

Postby SerafinoDragonTamer on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:03 pm

So should it link to a page about said faction? Or no, too complicated?
SerafinoDragonTamer

Postby Zagura on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:04 pm

Twilight wrote:Basic product design dictates that a user will feel more compelled to use something if they can understand how it works just by looking at it. We could definitely have those categories, but I don't think they should be up in front of anyone who has no idea what any of it means.

New users tend to avoid navigation bars, the first thing they see is the main page and read its contents. Though normally this is limited to the banner and any available quick links.

The suggested main page 3x2 table, would feature a picture relating to the page that it would take them to and are comprised of more common topics that are more relevant to a new users interest. This would have the advantage of providing an organized more all encompassing navigation bar to returning users, while keeping the site relatively friendly to less frequent or new users.

Noted: this idea is from referencing the Mass Effect Wiki(MEW) and others with deep lore.
MEW provides navigation bars to everywhere in the site, but their main page provides picture labeled links to more common areas that pertain to every ordinary player, and not people who are deeply concerned with lore and details. IE: walkthroughs, missions and not codex and DLC.

SerafinoDragonTamer wrote:So should it link to a page about said faction? Or no, too complicated?

Since they wish to access "characters" specifically it would best to make a subpage that relates to characters of that faction with a link to their specific lore page.
Zagura

Postby Twilight on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:09 pm

That's. . sort of how I meant it ^^; I too have been looking at how the MEW works, as it's one of the most appealing wikias I've ever seen. It's organized, it's cohesive. It even has a section for HOW to make appropriate posts in it.

But yeah, I like the idea of simplicity up front. The nav bar can be what you said 8D
Twilight

Postby SerafinoDragonTamer on Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:09 pm

I was thinking, would Flo-Wood be like polyurethane foam? if you've ever seen it in action.
SerafinoDragonTamer

Postby Twilight on Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:35 pm

Not exactly. Flowood would behave more like an extremely fast growing plant, going through a mild change in texture from it's seed state to it's grown state. It also grows in the direction of light. So if you have it growing under a window, it'll grow in the direction of the window and nothing more.

Polyutherane just kind of expands in all directions, and where flowood is always a solid mass that grows smoothly, Polyutherane is more comparable to bread baking.

Visually speaking, the growth itself might be similar, but the visual texture would differe greatly, as flowood is still a plant and not a chemical, and thus it behaves as such. Flowood is a lot slower and usually requires several weeks to harden and retain it's shape.
Twilight

Postby SerafinoDragonTamer on Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:37 pm

That's what I meant, like the growth style. My question wasn't very well worded.
SerafinoDragonTamer

Postby Twilight on Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Oh, here's a better way to explain it actually. It WOULD look like Polyutherane if you put it in some kind of container that shifts itself so that it forces the Polyutherane in the direction of light. . . actually that'd be extremely hard. . . Yeah, just stick with a particularly fast growing plant ^^;
Twilight

---------

PreviousNext

Return to General