The Dreamkeepers Wiki Site Thread

For miscellaneous speculation about the Dreamworld and dreamkeepers, you've come to the right place!

The Dreamkeepers Wiki Site Thread

Postby Twilight on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:17 pm

Alrighty, as per Fore's request, I have created this thread so discussion about the Wiki site can happen. We've kind of crowded the hell out of Vaderman's thread and might actually have to go through some cleaning up (ie. deleting all of the posts that are just hoarding the compendium)

Wiki site: dreamkeepers.wikia.com

First thing's first.

Guys, this needs a little bit of planning. As it is now, the wiki site is. . appalling. Disorganized, poorly worded, and with information ripped straight out of the official site (which isn't really fun for obvious reasons).

Before throwing waves of information at the site and then having to fix it all later, we really need to lay down a map of how it's gonna be structured. For the sake of everyone's sanity.
Twilight

Re: The Dreamkeepers Wiki Site Thread

Postby Dez on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:14 am

Perhaps we could organize a little "team" if you will and devide certain sections of the Wiki to forum members who are interested.

First though we would need to come up with a skeleton plan. What gets covered in each section. For example, a Character page would include basic facts (gender, age, residence, occupation, power, ect.) while a district would describe the geography and culture. And of course pages based upon the Graphic Novels and Prelude (perhaps divided into arcs and Silly Preludes)

Members of the Wiki team would create Drafts of these pages that would go to someone higher in our group for editing. Once we're all satisfied, said section of the Wiki can go up.

Then once the base is up to acceptable standards, we would also choose members of the team to be those who update the pages as time goes on. Sound like a good way to start?
Dez

Postby Twilight on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:37 am

Well, it's a wiki, so the idea of a team is next to obsolete. Especially when more people start joining in.

The most important thing at this particular point in the process is formatting.

The information can come in later and be easily filtered as it arises. But just spewing random crap all over the pages is not gonna help anyone. . . also, it'd be greatly appreciated if not just anyone edited the stuff.

This is dreamkeepers, not topsy turvy festival party. If we're to do this, it needs as much care and attention as David puts into his work. That means, if you don't have any semblance of grammar (among other things), let someone else handle it. We have a few excellent writers in the forum, who for the most part, only need all the information we can provide.

Personally, I'm trying not to just hijack the entire thing, because I know I could, and would in fact isolate myself for a week whilst filling out the site to the last detail and all that, but this is a community effort, and as such, everyone should be involved.I'm just going to assume the role of "quality check," for now. Mostly regarding information and stuff. As you all know, I'm pretty merciless when it comes to the accuracy of the information. . . also, what's relevant vs what isn't. Something like "occupation" seems extremely vague and probably best if avoided.

A character's actual occupation could be stated in schlee's profile, but it's not a useful part the basic profile. ((That was just an example, Dez, I wasn't just targeting you ^^; ))
Twilight

Postby SerafinoDragonTamer on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:41 am

So could we hhave someone or some people visit periodically to review the various info dumps or something? I mean, Zag's pretty much got things rolling and I've done a bit of work on the 'Whip' page, but shhould it be more.... What's the word.... Timely? I don't know, excuse my high-school-quality mind
SerafinoDragonTamer

Postby Zagura on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:44 am

Just bringing some stuff over...
Code: Select all
----
<div class="stdbox">
'' <font color=red>'''SPOILERS AHEAD''':</font> Information past this point may or may not reveal information related to plot events. <br><font color=red>
Proceed with Caution.</font>''
</div>
----
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zagura

Postby UberUrsa on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:05 pm

marflflager.
I put together a visual flowchart type thing that could outline the basic structure of the wiki. I'm a bit rusty on the history, so if someone could look those over for me that'd be great.
The structure will become a massively interconnected mess at some point, but we will need to keep track of a base skeleton for mapping purposes once that becomes necessary, and I bet it will.
the questions left for structure: do we want new character sheet for prelude and the main series?

EDIT: there will be one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UberUrsa

Postby Zagura on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:21 pm

:( Any chance you can upload that in non Open Office Format?
Zagura

Postby UberUrsa on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:13 pm

I can get it out as .pdf, but you can't edit that very easily.
You can get the download for the OpenOffice.org software here:
It freeware, so yeah. :D

EDIT: I amde a template page for us to work out the general format for characters before we start in on any indivigual page, we can delete it or just rename it later.
UberUrsa

Postby SerafinoDragonTamer on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:52 pm

YAY THE WIKI LOOKS SILKY SMOOTH!!!
SerafinoDragonTamer

Postby Zagura on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:03 pm

SerafinoDragonTamer wrote:YAY THE WIKI LOOKS SILKY SMOOTH!!!

Loads still to do...
Zagura

---------

Next

Return to General