The Dark Knight Rises

Just see a terrible, awful film? Warn us! Want to promote something quality in the mainstream? Here is the place to discuss music, movies, TV, comics, books - the good, the bad, the abominable. Review away!

The Dark Knight Rises

Postby RedFox on Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:08 pm

POTENTIAL SPOILERS

So I saw The Dark Knight Rises last night, having pre-ordered my ticket a month in advance, as that was pretty much the only way to get a seat in the theatre on the opening weekend of this box-office monstrosity (expect it to break records).

Anyway, Leon, how was the movie?

I don't...it's still sinking in. I have to let this one sink in for a while before I say anything really concrete about it.

Ok...what do you have to say about it then?

It wasn't what I was expecting. It also wasn't what I wanted, either, which is a weird feeling to have. That's not to say I didn't like it, or that it was a bad film, no, far from it. It just went to the extremes of a 'what if' scenario, and I praise Chis Nolan for doing that. Bane, although not as interesting a character as The Joker (or...well, I can think of a LOT of Batman villians more interesting than Bane), was terrifying and brutal. I Nolan chose Bane because of the sybolism behind 'breaking' Batman (which is what he was known for in the comics).

The Dark Knight Rises isn't really about Bruce Wayne or Batman (although their inclusion is vital). I think it's about Gotham and the people's struggle for survival when a super hero doesn't exist. The Dark Knight Rises is the most human of the three films, if that makes sense. It focuses on Gotham's police force (Commissioner Gordan; Officer James Blake), and how, despite losing the one figure that stood for the safety of the city being gone, they fight to their last breath to do their sworn duty.

EDIT: I also thought that the handling of Robin was perfect here. He was not over-played or over-stated, and he doesn't even actually become Robin in the course of the film (although he's being set up for it). I also thought it rather genius that Robin doesn't become Robin...he becomes the new Batman.

Pros:

- The casting. Of particular note is Joseph Gordon-Levitt as James Blake and Gary Oldman as Commissioner James Gordon
- The Soundtrack. Han Zimmer rarely disappoints.
- The cinematography. The shots following Bane activating his bombs is absolutely jaw-dropping. Much of the symbolism and imagery is handled expertly (as expected from Nolan by now).
- The Choreography. Particularly between Batman and Bane. The few fight scenes they share as also jaw-dropping and unbelievably brutal.

Cons:
- Bane's voice: It's impossible to understand most of what Bane is saying most of the time, and that bothered the hell out of me.
- The pacing: Batman Begins and The Dark Knight has pretty much pitch-perfect pacing. This film...less so. It never really drags, but it's not as fine-tuned as the previous two.
- The First Act: Nolan's films have a knack for setting things up very, very, very carefully before he knocks them down to get the full emotional response from his audience. The first act of The Dark Knight Rises, however, felt a bit cramped, or even rushed.

That's all I have for now. Feel free to add your own speculation, or to criticize my own.
RedFox

---------

Return to Culture clash