Teleport

For miscellaneous speculation about the Dreamworld and dreamkeepers, you've come to the right place!

Teleport

Postby Althis on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:06 am

Since teleport is a power that is just activated when you are switching places and no other time, when would the halo appear?
Althis

Re: Teleport

Postby Zagura on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Well... I guess you could be creative with that... Maybe it takes time to shift over or needs to charge up. XD Powers seem to be more like active/unactive states rather than single actions.

Its more like how deoxyhemoglobin, the protein that bonds oxygen to your blood, starts off in an inactive state. When it becomes activated into oxyhemoglobin, it is able to bond more and more oxygen. Likewise, a Dreamkeeper's power is unable to just happen without the Dreamkeeper entering the "active state" so to speak, when it does however, then both the ability to use their power along with the additional physical changes also occur.
Zagura

Postby Althis on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:22 pm

Still, teleportation characterizes itself by being an instant power. So far we've never seen anything like this. Teleportation doesn't really take any time to work in theory, since it is by itself an instantaneous movement.
I also don't know if teleportation as a power is really possible, since a normal creature in the world already has it. The Jumpers or Brain Squids. It is possible that a dreamkeeper can't have as a power something that is thought as common.
Althis

Postby Twilight on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Nah, it's perfectly possible. Powers are virtually limitless in what they can be (which is not permission to be abused in roleplaying XD)

Zagura is partially right. While halos manifest themselves when the powers are active, the power itself doesn't have to be in action in order for it to happen. This is because halo only represents power being switched on. While a Dreamkeeper's halo is on, they've not only turned the ignition for their power, so to speak, but every other function in this metaphorical car is active. These being increased physical strength and resistance (which is how the characters will be able to withstand the more brutal battles later on in the series).

In summary, halo = not only power, but tougher body so you're still not as frail as you normally would be.
Twilight

Postby Althis on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:52 pm

That seems pretty logical. Still, as I said, it would assume that there IS a time between teleporting and activating. For example, a log is going to fall over a character, he can quickly teleport out of the way, since that is the nature of teleport, still the halo would be shown only for a matter of seconds. If after the character is teleported he choose to remain in hero mode, then the halo will be persist, otherwise it should fade soon after.

This is more of a practical issue, as in the halo is shown for too quick an amount of time. Also, this begs the question of invisibility. Does the halo show when a character is invisible? And if not there will be any indication of the use of their powers?

But thanks a lot for the trivia Twilight! The Hero Mode thing is really interesting!
It explains how Tinsel can be thrown through a wall.
Althis

Postby Twilight on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:11 pm

That it does. And invisibility/camouflage based powers will also come with camouflaged halos, so long as the Dreamkeeper is actually using it. If they just want the endurance, then the halo will be visble.
Twilight

Postby ilvos01 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:42 am

Interesting, as I have thought of these at length already. I figured that for a. Teleportation, halo would be not there at starting point and be there at ending point, fading out after a few seconds. 20, maybe? And for b. Invisibility, the halo would flicker to full force, dissapear with the dreamkeeper, appear and flicker out once said dreamkeeper has restored his/herself to full view.

I thought of this a while ago. People stop reading my mind.

(EDIT also this is just my thought! Nowhere near canon. Or real.)
ilvos01

Postby Twilight on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:55 pm

Well, you can't start power use before you activate it, so the Halo would have to show up, even if it's a split second before the teleportation actually takes place.
Twilight

Postby Mr Aerospace on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:37 pm

(Edit: Rephrasing response)
Hmm, interesting question.
Just for the sake of it: Theoretically, true teleportation breaks all the laws of motion (speed=distance/time, acceleration=speed/time) because time equals zero. Because of this, the act of teleporting cannot possibly impart motion to the jumper, but any motion the jumper was experiencing before the displacement will continue to act upon him/her. (so if someone is running at full pace and teleports facing too close to a wall, :oops:)

As for the halo, if the Dreamkeeper can train their power to be instantaneous, then I don't see how the halo could appear. But as the others have mentioned, it is likely that the "ACC" switch will hang around to prevent the Dreamkeeper from damaging themselves too much before and after said event.

As for why this is relevant, if you want a Dreamkeeper to remain undetected around Anduruna, I'd suggest walking, because no matter what, suddenly appearing or disappearing around other people is gonna be slightly more suspicious than a small floating ring above your head.
Mr Aerospace

Postby Mr Aerospace on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:04 am

As for me, I'd personally go find a tranquiliser gun, go hunting for a small/baby brain squid (or even a squid egg), raise and train that little sucker up to willingly sit in a backpack and teleport on command, then find a way to relay his optic jumping "solution" to my own eyesight (maybe a video unit or mirrors/lenses and shutter devices, etc) and voila, a small, handsfree, lightweight personal teleportation device, that doesn't require powers.
Mr Aerospace

---------

Next

Return to General