Stranded...

A sparkling fantasy world is here. Rev up your imagination, and get ready to be a part of the story!

Re: Stranded...

Postby Devious_Psychopath on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:18 am

In the blink of an eye, the fish swarm the bits of fruit and devour them, but it happened so fast that you quickly lose track of which fish ate which bits of fruit.

After a few minutes, a few fish start swimming oddly, crashing into other fish or the sides of the pond. Before long, they simply stop and go belly up, floating to the surface. The other fish
are quick to swim up and smack the dead out of the water with their tails.

More time passes, and a few more fish start swimming erratically. This time, they merely vomit up their recent meal, before continuing on their way, as if nothing happened.

You catch sight of, among the gore, a bit of clothing the nurse had been wearing, before it floats down out of sight into the deep.

After that, nothing else occurs. The rest of the fish must have eaten some fruit that was safe or nothing at all.
Devious_Psychopath

Postby Reed R Gale on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:08 am

"So we know that the fish eat the fruit. Now all we have to do is throw in one fruit at a time. If they learned one fruit was poison, they won't consume it again, if they did not, it should have the same effect. In any case we learned one fruit kills, and the fish are omnivorous." Aim said all this with confidence, because he was speaking to himself.

Then he remembered Os. "S-so, let's cont-tinue th-the experiment." And so he threw in a bit of red fruit alone.

He hoped these fish would continue to eat the fruit. Worst case, all they would learn is that the fish were omnivorous and smart. Damn, he wished that Os hadn't thrown in all the fruit at once... then again, he couldn't blame him; he thought the distance between the fruits would be large enough to make sense of it but...

It didn't. All he could do now was wait. "R-remember Os, we've got to be inside before d-dark s-so we don't get s-skewered by the mutant b-bugs again. I'll w-watch the e-experiment. C-could you c-collect s-sizable p-portions of the fr-fruits. I'm s-sure e-everyone w-would appreciate it. I know I-I would."

Aim wanted to look at Os, but that woudl require looking in the direction of the undigested portions of the late nurse that were now drying near the edge of the pool. In fact, Aim turned his head toward the pool, still making sure to keep a good distance so as to be safe from the fish. Without turning back to the mechanic, Aim concluded, "I-it's nice meeting you, Os. Th-thanks for listening to m-me."
Reed R Gale

Postby Devious_Psychopath on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:32 am

A few fish investigate the red fruit, but ignore it for the most part.

A single fish however swims towards it. It looks like this particular fish had too much to eat and is now having trouble moving fast. It quickly gulps down a bite of the red fruit.

After a bit, it pukes up it's large meal and swims off.
Devious_Psychopath

Postby Reed R Gale on Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:12 am

"So red is edible, but will force one to vomit, either by bad taste or otherwise... might be useful later if we need to regurgitate..." Aim said to himself.

"Now for the green one." He threw the last needed fruit for the experiment into the water and prayed.
Reed R Gale

Postby Oseirus on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:35 am

Os shot a glance at the horizon and the dwindling sun. They still had some time, but Os wanted to be inside long before those bugs showed up.

"True, but puking up our meals doesn't do us any good. So those are useless right now. Besides, I think we've all thrown up enough times in the last couple days..." Os stopped and coughed once for added effect. His ribs hurt and he wished he had a tooth brush. "Since one of the other fruits will kill us, we only have the one alternative. I have a hunch it's the green fruits that are good, since they were the ones hanging over the fish pond.

"Aim, keep an eye on the pond for a few more minutes to see what they do with the fruit. I'm gonna grab some of the green and blue ones and come back to meet you. Once I get back, we're heading for the shack. I don't want to take any chances with those wasps. Be careful around the water."

With that, Os set off to begin collecting the food. He poked his head into the shack to offer a quick warning: "Aim and I will be bringing back some fruits shortly. We're not sure which is safe to eat yet so for the time being DO NOT TOUCH THEM. We'll let you know when dinner is served."

A few seconds later he was gone again. Os grabbed as many of the green and blue fruits as he could carry, making a couple trips back and forth to Aim to drop his load and make sure he was still alright. He also grabbed a couple of the red fruits for good measure, maybe in the worst case they could use them to vomit up the bad fruits.

Finally once he figured had grabbed enough for everyone, he went and sat back down next to Aim and the impressive collection of fruits.

"Well? How'd it go? Did they eat it?"
Oseirus

Postby Devious_Psychopath on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:22 am

The moment the green fruit hits the water, its stripped down to its core by the ravaneous fish.

Then it is suddenly calm, and the fish go about their business. None get sick. None die.
Devious_Psychopath

Postby Reed R Gale on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:36 pm

Aim was still talking to himself rather than to Os, even though he had clearly asked him. Nonetheless his ramblings to himself answered his question. "The green fruit is edible to the fish, but that doesn't mean it's edible for us, still it's something to go off of. The blue fruit... hmm..." Lazily Aim threw the hard, blue fruit into the water.

"O-oh, hello O-Os." Aim greeted, still watching the pond. "The f-fish eat the green fruit, so I'm B-BETTING, r-remember betting, that it's edible, however, I w-want to s-see what they d-do with th-the blue fruit. It's p-possible that they fr-fruit effects their body different from a 'keeper's. St-still, this i-information is really u-useful, don't you th-think?"

Aim smiled, but kept watching the fruit in the water and it's fate. If the fish died, or went frantic like last time he'd know SOMETHING was wrong with the berry he had just thrown into the water.
Reed R Gale

Postby Devious_Psychopath on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:19 pm

The moment the blue fruit touches the water, the fish stare at it. They give it a wide berth, staying far away from the fruit.

Then, they swim downwards, deep into the water where the light of the day cannot reach them, far out of sight.

They do not return.
Devious_Psychopath

Postby Reed R Gale on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:23 pm

"The red is tentative, and probably near-inedible medicine, the green is probably edible if not delicious, and the blue is death... to the fish. Still my bets go on the green." He was talking to himself again.

He turned to Os. "I-I'm going to bet on the green fruit. W-well we should t-tell the others."
Reed R Gale

Postby Oseirus on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:41 pm

"I'm with you. Green seems like a good enough bet for now. However we should still exercise caution until we know for sure. Small, slow bites until we're sure we won't liquify our entrails or something. Help me carry the green ones back. I'm gonna bring a couple of the red and blues, too. Who knows, maybe we can use the blue ones as a poison on something. Craft some weapons, coat the tips, that sort of thing. For now though, I'm happy just having food. Let's get inside."

With that, Os scooped up as many of the fruits as he could carry and motioned for Aim to do the same and follow him.

Once he was inside the shack, he gingerly dropped their dinner into a corner, taking care to separate the less savory fruits before allowing the others to dig in.

"Alright... Dinner's ready. Not much but it's better than nothing. From our experiments the green ones seem to be safe, but eat with care. Small bites until we're sure we aren't going to die. If you start to feel sick, take a bite of the red fruits, they'll make you vomit and hopefully get whatever's making you dead out of your system."

He paused once more, staring at the massive fruit. He decided they would be called waffles.

"Bon appetit." Using his fingers, he tore off a small chunk of the "waffle" and popped it into his mouth.
Oseirus

---------

PreviousNext

Return to IC - DreamWorld Adventures...