STOP S.O.P.A. and P.I.P.A.

For miscellaneous speculation about the Dreamworld and dreamkeepers, you've come to the right place!

STOP S.O.P.A. and P.I.P.A.

Postby Ice4smaster on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:40 pm

Many big internet websites have go on strike today as some may noticed it, and who not here's a link bellow to catch up. S.O.P.A. and the softer version P.I.P.A. are recently made USA laws to attampt and give right to censor the internet, and in fact can, and do gonna affect you if not protested agents it. :!:

:arrow:

This is not just for gamers from the states, but as well the rest of the world. Who do have concern, do so express it on the above link, or other arternative sites.
Ice4smaster

Re: STOP S.O.P.A. and P.I.P.A.

Postby Twilight on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:57 pm

I read the bill, it doesn't actually look like it would change all that much. Either way, everyone thinks its dumb anyway and it stands no chance of survival. I wouldnt worry.
Twilight

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:59 pm

My stance on this is as follows:

Kill it with fire.

If you (attempt) to log in to the English version of Wikipedia, you will be directed to their protest site. If you punch in your zip code, it will give you the names and phone numbers of all of your local congress/senate/scumsucker people.

Call them.

I get fired up over this type of stuff. I'm loud, I'm angry, I demand answers.

It's fun.

But it also needs to be done. Someone needs to get on the soapbox. Wikipedia is doing a good job about that. Google... well... they're trying, I sort of think they wussed out and really dropped the ball. Even Ctrl + Alt + Del is doing something. As is Wired, Reddit, and thisiswhyImbroke.com ...

And you have NO idea how many people have no clue what SOPA is. Just, completely oblivious to it. I'm against piracy, I buy the things I want... I happily spend money on games and music, because I want to support the people that make the things I enjoy. People like Dave and Liz. To me, these stupid bills mean nothing about Piracy, they're too vague, and will be bent and warped to screw over whoever they want to attack at the time.

Make the calls people.
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby Avolendi on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:11 pm

I agree.

Read about it recently on wikipedia and that's definitely not a direction things should be heading. Gives off that vibe of "don't worry, it's for your own good". Or to make it more DK related, "For your safety" ...
Avolendi

Postby Twilight on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:34 pm

It's been shelved, which only means it's still alive in theory. In practice it's been neutered for at least a year. People are all "NOOO THEY CAN STILL PASS IT!" Yeah, but they won't. They're too lazy to even pass the important stuff, let alone the things even they think are a little leery.

This whole internet strike thing that's happening is. . . well, about as relevant as the dumbtarted riots that happened in England a few months ago.

Personally, I can't help but feel like this whole sopa thing is nothing more than another distraction the government is using to keep people focused on something other than other crap they might be doing. It's basically the new gay marriage topic only this one has a wider audience.

Then again, I base this on the fact that most internet denizens are too wrapped up in their fanart rage to see the whole thing.

The REAL reason to be afraid of the thing is that It would legitimize any other country's attempt to pull a China and censor all content from the US. I'm thinking like Iran and places where they're already trying to muscle out democratic influence.
Twilight

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Personally, I can't help but feel like this whole sopa thing is nothing more than another distraction the government is using to keep people focused on something other than other crap they might be doing

You sound as paranoid as me. :P

Really though, when it comes to internet things, I turn into a complete zealot. The web is one of the best (or worst) things that's happened to us, and I love it. Nobody should be able to chain this beast down.

Yes, SOPA lost a lot of it's teeth... but we should still speak up and let them know that this kinda crap will not be tolerated.
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby Sorrel on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:03 pm

Jeez, even on this forum it can't be escaped. Okay, might as well put out my two cents on the issue.

TLDR: Don't worry so much, the government isn't utterly retarded. Call your reps and throw your support with the protests, but rest assured that they're just as worried about this as you are. This is a much bigger issue than just "SAVE THE FANARTS," one even non-internet dwellers can't afford to ignore. And no, I don't JUST mean violating rights. Though that's also important.

First off, for clarification:

SOPA, the "Stop Online Piracy Act," is essentially a mandate forcing search engines like Google to block websites outside the United States that are primarily used for illegally distributing copyrighted media.

PIPA, the "Protect IP Act," is pretty much a duplicate of SOPA, only its effective domain is limited to websites originating in the US -- covering SOPA's blind spots. Because of this, it's a slightly more limited set of issues presented here, and honestly I'd be more worried about that than SOPA. Thing is, so is Congress.

To those who weren't aware of this, hooray for education. Welcome to confusion.

Now the biggest reason why people shouldn't be quite so froth-mouthed about this issue is that not everyone in Congress is an idiot who can't see these problems coming like the rest of us. And though I doubt a Senator would be too concerned about an 8-year-old's doodle of Pikachu being blocked from the internet, they would definitely be worried about all the other problems this monster presents. Since I only really hear about the freedom of speech argument these days, I'm going to also point out some of these bigger issues that have caught lawmakers' attention.

One: It poses a threat to internet stability and safety. Which means it has the potential to become a national security threat. To make a very, very, very long story short, the measures the bill is trying to mandate are either impossible or would screw up the internet in ways people can't even imagine -- we're talking widespread system failure, not suppression of free speech. Not only that, but normally-encrypted data like personal information, credit cards, emails, etc. would be hilariously easy to obtain; the measures literally force websites to make the most basic hacker-inviting mistake in the book. (Also, it's stupidly easy to work around the filters, so it's not like they'll do any good.)

Two: America isn't everyone's friend, and there are countries that would jump at this chance to censor all American content from internet users within their borders. The Great Firewall of China is an infamous example, not only of what SOPA/PIPA could create, but also what it could spur in other nations. North Korea, anyone? It's an invitation to muscle out democratic influence from countries that want no part of it and have been giving the USA the evil eye for decades. If we block them, it gives them permission to block us.

Ladies and gentlemen, that way lies dragons. The kind our government REALLY doesn't want to poke with a stick. While half of DeviantArt is sitting there whining about their fanart's safety, anyone who thinks about the international consequences of this bill is going white-knuckled with dread.

Three: Anyone who has a vague idea of what the US Constitution is about already knows the problem with censorship on this kind of grand scale. This includes politicians. It's kind of a prerequisite for having a job writing/approving legislation and... well, amendments to the US Constitution.

Four: You can't enforce a law if you don't know what it freaking means. Define what makes a website "primarily" used for distributing illegal media. No really, define it. Otherwise you can't concretely label a website as one this bill has the right to affect. Same thing goes for phrases like "illegally distributed copyrighted media." Right now, those terms are laughably nebulous, and it's making a lot of people on Capitol Hill very, very nervous. Contrary to popular belief, McCarthy was the only politician who approved of manic witch-hunts based on intangible evidence.

Five: It's killing an anthill with the Tzar Bomb. There are so many ways this law could be used and abused, and everyone knows it, including lawmakers. It does not discriminate between harmless fanart and pirated movie downloads. A Tumblr account could be downed for posting a still image of a movie, if someone was asinine enough to take the owner to court over it. This bill has way too many teeth.

My hands hurt from typing now.

Basically these half-assed bits of legislational knee-jerking are a big problem, and you can't say the White House and Congress don't care -- they can't afford not to. Want to make a valid argument against someone who supports the bill? Don't cite free speech, they've heard it a million times. Cite North Korea, or that guy who stole your credit card to buy a yacht, or that jerk who killed your PC with a trojan last month. Or better yet, predict the next Al-Qaeda attack on the Pentagon's servers or something.

This thing got shelved for a reason, and you can bet they're going to be careful about what they let slip into our legal system.

Besides, they can't even pass the laws we need to pass in order to keep functioning. How anyone expects this piece o' work to get through is beyond me.
Sorrel

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:16 pm

...not everyone in Congress is an idiot...

Yeah, that's pretty much the only part of the above statement I didn't agree with. Though I did call my local political meatheads, and that was a lot more informative than I thought it would be.

I shall now politely sit one the sidelines and see what everyone else has to say.
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby Esebian on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:13 am

Sorrel wrote:TLDR: Don't worry so much, the government isn't utterly retarded.

Worse, they're totally corrupted.

Keep in mind that the guys behind those bills have more power than Obama or the rest. You ask who I mean? A loose alliance of CEOs and other moneyed individuals with enough dough to buy anyone to push through anything. This is called plutocracy, the rule of the rich, and is as a form of dictatorship diametrically opposed to democracy, the rule of all the people.

These bills are (And their , too.)

I'm no conspiracy nutter, these things are sadly true.

It's high time to restore America's status as the beacon of democracy. Reclaim the peoples' power by boycotting the products or services of the corporate criminals that publicly support the bills.

Hit them where it really hurts: their wallets.
Esebian

Postby Oseirus on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:59 am

The IDEA behind SOPA and PIPA isn't the issue, really. Legislation to prevent piracy of copyrighted materialsis fine and dandy, but where the problem starts is that the law is horribly written, and would make it far too easy for corporations and government to start censoring and blocking anything that they interpret as even a remote violation of the Act. Which, honestly, is quite a lot of stuff these days.

I try not to get involved in politics, cause ultimately there is little that the common-man's voice will do, and if someone with money or power wants something done, it will happen, regardless of what the people, the ones who actually matter, really want. Interpret that how you will. It's why I don't vote.

Like others have said, every aspect of the government is pretty much overflowing with idiots who are all too willing to focus on the wrong things for the wrong reasons. Common sense states that SOPA and PIPA are silly wastes of time, but if congress was really competent these bills would have never even made it to debate. Not to mention that America wouldn't be in the sorry, broken state that it is today.

The fact that they're still alive at all, shelved or not, speaks volumes about the state of affairs around here. Plus don't forget that SOPA and PIPA still have some rather powerful backers, such as the MPAA and other media regulators who have a history of pushing seemingly stupid acts, some of which that have even been passed.

Ultimately, the best anyone can do is watch the events carefully. If the right voices speak up, then the Acts will be permanently killed. Until then, there's always a very good and very REAL possibility of the Acts being passed. At first they may have a positive result, but it's only a matter of time before it starts being abused.
Oseirus

---------

Next

Return to General