Smallpox Vaccine

Have something thoughtful and relevant to say? No? Then come post crap in here!

Smallpox Vaccine

Postby Oseirus on Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:13 pm

So, for curiosity sake, has anyone here ever had a Smallpox Vaccine?

If so, how long did it take for you to stop feeling like you got run over by a bus? And what's "too long" before the aching and pain goes away?

I hate my life so much right now. D:
Oseirus

Re: Smallpox Vaccine

Postby Dream-Weaver on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:12 pm

They still administer smallpox vaccinces? Wasn't that disease all but wiped out?
Dream-Weaver

Postby Klona on Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Isn't smallpox just the not so dangerous version of chickenpox? It doesn't make sense to me either.
Klona

Postby Oseirus on Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:33 pm

It's been wiped out in a general sense that you're unlikely to get it during your day-to-day life, yes, but the disease still exists, and can possibly be used for bioterrorism. Kinda sorta like when Smallpox infested blankets were given to the Native Americans way back when. It's become a requirement to receive the vaccine if you're traveling overseas for any real length of time (at least in the US, I'm not sure about other countries).

Now, I don't claim to be a doctor or medic or even moderately knowledgeable on the subject, but from what I gather Small pox is worse than Chicken pox, though to what extent I don't know. I'd have to do a little more research, but Small pox has about a 40% lethality rate among normal, healthy individuals that haven't received the vaccine yet, whereas with Chicken pox the danger starts out relatively low as a child, but the older a person is the more at risk they are.
Oseirus

Postby Dream-Weaver on Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Ah! That makes sense, but I suppose I don't know the answer to your actual question, sorry.
Dream-Weaver

Postby Twilight on Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:32 pm

Well, keep in mind that a vaccine is a nerfed version of the virus that your body can fight off so it knows how to fend off the real disease without much trouble. So, yeah, you're screwed for a bit ^^; look up how long smallpox takes when it affects a victim, and you can maybe round down a bit.
Twilight

Postby Dream-Weaver on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Twilight wrote:Well, keep in mind that a vaccine is a nerfed version of the virus that your body can fight off so it knows how to fend off the real disease without much trouble. So, yeah, you're screwed for a bit ^^; look up how long smallpox takes when it affects a victim, and you can maybe round down a bit.

Actually, that's not always true, I know that with smallpox the vaccine is actually a nerfed version of cowpox which, while simillar, is classified as a completely different virus.

Smallpox is too dangerous to use directly in a vaccine, even if it's weaker, but cowpox is simillar enough to work

So he really needs to look up cowpox if he wants an acurate estimation
Dream-Weaver

Postby wildcard on Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:11 pm

Had it done and felt fine. Except for the puss and permanent scar.
wildcard

Postby Oseirus on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:23 am

I'm pleasantly surprised, just under one month later and the thing is pretty much healed. I really want to just rip the scab off, but I don't know what it looks like underneath, and I'd rather not have an open sore again which would take forever to heal again. I really hope I can just have this thing off and healed by the time I leave, so I don't have to worry about it in the desert.
Oseirus

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:00 am

And by desert, you mean 'the undisclosed sandy location that is devoid of water and intelligent life'.
Chemical Cutthroat

---------

Next

Return to Spamduruna