Skyrim Support Group

Have something thoughtful and relevant to say? No? Then come post crap in here!

Skyrim Support Group

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:17 pm

So, it's just two days away. I want everyone to take a deep breath... find your center...

And remember to get off of the couch/chair/bed, put the controller down and stretch... and maybe say hello to your FRIENDS once in a while.

I know a lot of people didn't prepare properly when Oblivion came out. Maybe they hadn't played an Elder Scrolls game before, they weren't ready to fall in like Alice through the looking glass. Those people lost jobs, destroyed relationships, buried pets... we can't let this happen again!

So! I am preemptively opening the Skyrim Support group... and here's the plan. Every time you boot up the game, when you log off, you come over here and punch in what you did that day. I don't care how you do it... it could be a general overview, it could be a bullet-point checklist of things you accomplished, it could even be a story written by the character!

It doesn't matter.

I just want you to get back to the computer, and check in on the folks who will still be here after the game has lost its glamour. Go check out the RPG's you're supposed to be playing, post something about the comic that came up.

Just let us know you're alive.

It's like AA people, we can't help you unless you willingly participate. Who knows, this could even be fun.
Chemical Cutthroat

Re: Skyrim Support Group

Postby Mileau on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:35 pm

Okay.

I have the game downloaded on Steam, ready to play at the stroke of midnight.

An 8-pack of Butterfingers.

Kettle corn ready to pop.

And a countdown clock ticking away to the return of Alduin.

You are not prepared, dragons...

YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!

Yes, I know that's the wrong franchise. Anyway, I may just have to ost an adventure log of sorts here. My first goal is to become a werewolf!
Mileau

Postby Oseirus on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:04 am

I was thinking about going now and trying to convince the GameStop people to just start selling it at 9pm, since it will be midnight on the East coast at that point.

Or I can start stripping in the middle of the store, they'll hurl copies at me just to make me leave. Maybe I can get my hands on a Collector's Edition in the process.
Oseirus

Postby Mileau on Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:06 am

Tell them I'll pay for that collector's Edition for you, Oseirus.

And so, as the hour has struck here on the east coast, i offer one final message before we plunge headlong into the howling dark:

"Holy ****, what is this? Forged in God's very flames. Do mine eyes tell me lies, A new Elder Scrolls Game? Time is nigh, I must fly, Venture forth on my quest. Goodbye Ma, goodbye Pa And goodbye Girlfriend's breasts. I'll be off Azeroth, catch you later Hyrule. I'll be gone Albion, I'm no longer your fool. Other crap filled the gap While I waited to begin... The adventure of my life in the land of Skyrim!" -The Internet
Mileau

Postby Oseirus on Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:23 am

Mileau wrote:...And goodbye Girlfriend's breasts...

I lol'd.

I'm sitting here at GameStop with about 2.5 hours to go (damn you East coast *******s and your time travelling shenanigans!), and there's only like four people here... which is weird. But hey, I don't mind a short line.
Oseirus

Postby Rydlen on Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:28 am

I went and bought the game at my place of work so I could get the discount AND the Canvas copy of the Map. Then I got home and punched in the serial code in steam... Downloading at 3.2 Mbps and I'm at 25%! Comcast Don't Fail Me now!

Yes, I could have just installed it by the disk but I wanted my play time to be recorded on Steam anyways!
Rydlen

Postby Mileau on Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:31 am

Mission one accomplished! I'm a werewolf. A Khajiit werewolf, no less.

Only the first chapter of many.

...huh? Sleep? I don't understand the question.
Mileau

Postby Oseirus on Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:42 am

It's time for The 4 Hour Review! (TM) (Xbox 360 version)

DISCLAIMER: These are only observations from the first few hours of gameplay. Skyrim is supposed to have well over 600 hours worth of content, and obviously it's impossible to totally judge the game this early on. Take it for what it's worth: crap I saw in my short time playing.

So far it's basically Oblivion with dragons and a new backdrop. Not a bad thing, mind you, Oblivion was awesome, but aside from some technical tweaking it's pretty much the same game.

The Good:
  • Animals and scenery look beautiful.
  • Menus and overall graphical interface are much simpler. Less distracting graphics, more ease of navigation. The interactive 3D previews of every item are a nice touch, too.
  • You can unlock a series of stones that give you access to a special perk that can be changed at any time simply by touching another stone. You may only have one perk active at a time, but it's fantastic for tweaking and adjusting play style as you progress. Examples: (Warrior talents increase 20% faster.), (You no longer suffer a movement penalty in armor and may carry more inventory.)
  • Durability appears to be GONE from armor and weapons.
  • It's now much easier to level your character to your exact preferences with the new talent screen.
  • No more Oblivion gates!

The Bad:
  • Menus are simpler, but still very poorly organized. Everything is just kinda haphazardly lumped into general categories, and it can take a couple minutes to find a specific item you're looking for if you have a lot of stuff.
  • Voice acting is outright cringe-worthy. Oblivion may have been all over the board with acting from Captain Picard to some bum they found on the street, but so far Skyrim has been pretty consistent in its awful voices. Not to mention the supposed-to-be-Nordic-but-are-just-hyper-annoying accents that everyone has.
  • Character models are ugly as sin. While they look fantastic as a still screenshot with lots of clothes on, something gets lost in translation and characters in-game are just as hard to look at as they are to listen to. (See "On character models" Below)
  • Scenery has a lot of graphical-pop in and redrawing as you move around, but this is likely due to the constraints of the Xbox 360's DVD disc format.
  • So far, the story line just doesn't seem to have the same sense of urgency that Oblivion's main story had. Everyone just kind of goes "oh look, dragons" and goes back to picking their noses and mumbling something about a war. Doesn't help that every single NPC talks like they're bored.

The Ugly:
  • Nothing! (Except character models. Holy crap. I REALLY hope they release a patch to fix those.)

Other thoughts:
  • I really wish you got the ability to fast-travel to major landmarks BEFORE you discovered them. There's a carriage that goes between all the big cities for a fee, but other than that you're walking EVERYWHERE. And there is a lot of ground to cover. I'd estimate that there are probably close to 500+ locations to discover.
  • Also, I may just be missing it, but there doesn't seem to be a local map anymore, only the overhead world map. It's a total pain in the *** to navigate cities and find shops and whatnot.
  • Load times are terrible, but they seem to shorten significantly when the game is installed to your 360's hard drive.

Thankfully, there haven't been any game-breaking issues yet. Despite the glaring flaws in the sound and graphics departments (ESPECIALLY the graphics), Skyrim is still fun as hell and fixes a lot of the little pricks that Oblivion had. I'll definitely be sinking a lot more time into this one.

On character models: I don't know how Bethesda did it, but Skyrim's characters are almost worse-looking than Oblivion's plastic citizenry. Heads are extremely detailed, but anything below the neck is poorly rendered, lo-res graphics. Anyone that isn't wearing a full robe or long-sleeved everything just looks atrocious.

The detailed heads can be a bother in their own right. Whatever method Bethesda used to generate the NPC's head models left every single human model looking like they have an inch of dirt caked on their faces. Light doesn't seem to render properly either and it ends up exposing all of the stitching for the various sections of heads and arms.

The two worst cases I've seen so far were a woman who's various skin patterns didn't quite stitch together properly, leaving her with glaring white lines running all over her arms and face, and an Argonian who's head didn't even come close to looking like it belonged on his body. Where his head had scales and spikes and looked rather pretty, his body just looked like a fat man covered in mold.
Oseirus

Postby Zagura on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:44 am

Doing ALL THE HOMEWORKS so that when it finally arrives today I'll be able to enjoy it lol.

Oseirus wrote:I don't know how Bethesda did it, but Skyrim's characters are almost worse-looking than Oblivion's plastic citizenry.

I'm counting down the days before the swarms of mods start getting released. Don't worry, model detail will "improve"...
>_> Noticeably. (Oh wait no mods for xbox sorry. XD)

Surprised at your review of the voice acting though, they supposedly spent a great deal of time and effort to create unique voices. At least there is some variety as opposed to every single X sounding the same throughout the entire game.

Most of the body mesh problems will probably be fixed in the coming live bug patches theyre going to release, judging by Bethsada's actions following the hilarious . Good thing there are no terribly damaging bugs towards gameplay that I've heard of.
Zagura

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:47 pm

I'm thinking that the voice acting is only annoying because of the 'Fjordic' sound to everything.

'Allo my naaame is Sveeeen.'

I must wait... pretty much the entire day for this game. I'm going to pick up my pre-order during my lunch break and stare at it longingly until I get off work.

Only to sit an hour in traffic.

To get home and then be told by the girl that we have a party to go to.

To which I will promptly reply, "Woman! Do not speak like that to the Dovakhin! I have dragons to slay!"

And then she will make some euphimism about my dragon never getting any anymore. So I will probably end up going to the party anyway, because I have yet to find a video game good enough to pass up certain endeavors for.

Or I'll get comfy on the couch and say eff that... I have dragons to slay!

Why is life so complicated?

I'll have my own little review up over the weekend... but mainly I'm going to post up little quest logs as I go. That should be fun.
Chemical Cutthroat

---------

Next

Return to Spamduruna