Shocktroopers, Safety Troops, and Law Enforcement

Have a take on the latest Prelude strip? Share it in here! Just notice an enticing story hint in one of the graphic novels? Speculate away! Share feedback, large and small about your DreamKeepers experience. But beware, this forum may contain story spoilers.

Shocktroopers, Safety Troops, and Law Enforcement

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Well, we've all seen the scary, well equipped, asymmetrically stylish heavy hands of the Anduruna government. These guys are the cream of the crop, highly trained and wielding some incredibly cool gadgets and weaponry, and very very loyal. All in all, your elite warriors of a group. Shocktroopers, Stormtroopers, whatever you'd like to call them.

But it says they were the best of the best, plucked from other branches of Law Enforcement.

So that must mean there's plenty of average-joe type cops... detectives... things like that right? You're not going to send in the Shocktroopers to handle a domestic dispute or deal with a theft issue, that's just overkill. You don't send in the SWAT team when someone robs a 7-Eleven.

So do we see any other sort of lawmen in the Dreamkeeper universe yet? Or any sort of insight on this?
Chemical Cutthroat

Re: Shocktroopers, Safety Troops, and Law Enforcement

Postby Sorrel on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:02 pm

So far the only branch of law enforcement officially established is the Shock Troopers, but even David has confirmed that they're the elite, so it stands to reason that "normal" forms of criminal justice exist. I've personally got nothing against calling them Policemen and Detectives and stuff until they're given an official name.
Sorrel

Postby Oseirus on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:12 pm

Naw, they need a sweet name like the Shock Troopers have. This is the Dreamworld- everything is, by default, required to have a badass name.

How about... INVESTO-SQUAD! ... Wait, no, that sounds like a bank.

Maybe... InteroGATORS, like a squad full of Tallys that- ... who am I kidding, that's just dumb.

Oh! What about Crime Averters?!? ... Aaaand that sounds like a crappy kids "action" cartoon.

Feck. Police and Detectives and stuff it is then... *grumble grumble*
Oseirus

Postby Rydlen on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:22 pm

I've been noticing a pattern in some of the RPs around here where Shock Troopers are thrown in almost at random. Shock Troopers are a Major issue/Last Resort type of group. They don't regularly patrol the streets or have dinner at the local pub or things like that. I assume they're stations in barracks unless called for. They eat there. They sleep there. They Live there. I cant imagine Shock Troopers having much time for family since they spend so much time training and whatnot.
Rydlen

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Yeah, I imagine they have a rather severe level of, "Ohcrap" associated with them whenever they show up. I'm sure that the citizenry of Anduruna is familiar with them, maybe even holds them in a glorified sort of manner the same way we do for war movies and things.

Then again, the Government is supposed to be very pro-peace and all that... so would they have propaganda showcasing the badassery(totally a word) of the Shocktroopers? Like a movie about an elite cadre known as Delta Farce that tracks down super-dangerous Powers Infractions.

Hmm... they'd probably call it, "X-Men".

I have some ideas on the whole, 'Johnny Law' thing, so I might take a step out of bounds and make up a thing or two for whatever games I'm running. Just like the Viscount's guards, who are really cool dudes, I'm sure there are some interesting, likeable people who are part of the system.
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby ilvos01 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:57 pm

"The A Team" is very popular in Anduruna.

Get it? A Team?
ilvos01

Postby Oseirus on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:05 pm

Hm. What if the Shock Troopers really are the full extent of Anduruna's law enforcement, but they simply have different tiers and roles? Kinda like any given military structure. They all wear the same uniform, and they all have the same general purpose- to protect and serve (ish). But maybe they all have different jobs within that structure. They're all called Shock Troopers, but there's some that respond to day-to-day issues, and then others that deal with hooligans like Scinter and Igrath. And then maybe more that get to play with the big guns, like that Fire Team mentioned in Volume 2.

Apologies if the above post was slightly disjointed- I've been drinking. It's been a long week.
Oseirus

Postby Rydlen on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:12 am

Excerpt from Anduruna History
849 A.D.: Rising levels of organized crime and corruption were addressed in a campaign platform for a new Viscount. Upon his election, the Anduruna city guard was established, a policing force knowing no district boundaries. They had distinctive uniforms, and were barred from using their powers in law enforcement for safety purposes - instead having newly mandated and approved spring-powered weapons.
Many districts objected to this override of their autonomy, and chose to retain their traditional police divisions. Over time, however, the redundancy and inferior authority of the district police resulted in their decline and absorption into nominal divisions of the city guard.
The policy decision was highly controversial with the public initially, as it disregarded the independence and authority of the districts, subverting them completely to Central City authority. Constitutional questions were raised. Over time, however, these complaints faded. Gradually, Central City authority continued to expand, the old constitution was quietly amended away, and Anduruna became a more homogenized civilization.

I just thought adding this would help remove more questions.
Rydlen

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:06 pm

Well, removes some questions sure. I would say, refines the conversation down to more specific questions. But that's super helpful! I forgot to breeze through the history a third time like I should have, that would have been a good refresher.

So... there is a Central Authority, and each district probably has a 'Home Base' of sorts for the City Guard, which then reports to the big base of operations in Sabbaton.

This clears a lot of it up! Just wish I had some visual references as well. They do have specific uniforms and all, which is good to know. We also know this is where they pull the Shocktroopers from. Maybe for RP purposes, just referring to the local cops as 'City Guard' is good enough.

I am also curious about punishments and the like. It seems like 'Death Penalty' may not exactly jive with the happy image of the city. That being said, the Shocktroopers have no qualms about gunning down our lovable resistance. So perhaps it depends on the infraction. It is noted that they've been going towards a more Rehabilitation sort of role rather than just locking people up forever... which could mean tons of boring classes in pseudo-jail, ooooorrr... and this is my natural conspiracy self here... BRAINWASHING!

Because... well... that makes perfect sense really.
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby Hazzardous on Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:31 pm

The only time military should be used for domestic issues would be if a city is under martial law...I don't get that impression with Anduruna...

Sure it's crime-ridden, but so was Gotham City...and no military was in there...

But on the other hand, the movie Golden Compass has military roaming the streets...so maybe...
Hazzardous

---------

Next

Return to Comic story chat room