Scinter!

Have a favorite character in the series? Any that remind you of a real person you know? Talk about the ones you like, the ones you hate, and see what others think.

Re: Scinter!

Postby Drezlun on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:28 pm

I can see that.

Although I do feel that it doesn't quite explain some of Scinter's behavior. Like in Volume 2 when he talks about shooting the commanders of the shock troops. Granted he did start joking about it after Igrath told him no, but he still brought up the idea in the first place. I think for that reason, Igrath is more of the one sold on the idea of just letting the government collapse on itself. Scinter is following along with this plan, but he doesn't mind making a few waves along the way.
Drezlun

Postby Mr Aerospace on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:12 am

Ok, now I've got the introductory post over and done with, I can get on with crackpot theories and crazy talk...yay!

Firstly I'd like you all to look to the right, then back at me, then back to the right.
Notice my avatar, then look back to me.
You've noticed my avatar isn't Scinter, but notice again and he could well be.
Look again, then add a neckbrace and goggles.
What happened just now? He looks just like Scinter!

That there is the Australian Goanna. (+6 Kalei points for the Australian Accent idea). Well, more specifically it's a Lace Monitor, a lizard related to the Komodo Dragon and Iguana. I can't say for sure, but to me the phsical resemblance and behaviour are so remarkable that this must be Dave's model for Scinter:
Resemblance:
-Long double hinged jaw
-Square snout
-Forked tongue
-Massive tail, (more than 3x the body length)
-Camouflage patterns and striations (admittedly it's closer to the Spencer's goanna, but still...)
Behaviour:
-Stands and runs on hind legs (not really applicable since the DK's are anthropomorphic)
-Incredible hunter/tracker
-Climbs really well (due to incredibly sharp talons)
-Propensity to dig many tunnels and underground nests (again the talons)
-Able to use the tail as a seriously dangerous whip
-Massive badass that hardly notices serious cut/gore wounds
-Absolutely loves alcohol! - (no, I'm serious, this really is true, the amount of lizards with heads caught in beer cans is sad and alarming, but it is still ridiculously funny to see.)
-Has razor sharp teeth and sports a venomous bite! (ok, haven't seen Scinter go there yet...)

So what do you guys think...
Next Episode: Scinter's Personality
Mr Aerospace

Postby Calico Yorki on Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:29 pm

...that is so cooooool

I now seriously hope Scinter has some kind of venomous bite.

Prolly not, but who knows?

Then again, coincidences do happen.

But this seems a bit too close to be a coincidence...

... /accusing stare ...

Hmmmmm. And I will meet you, sir.

SCINTER IS SO BADASS THAT MEETING HIM IN REAL LIFE WOULD MAKE YOUR BRAIN EXPLODE IN FRONT OF YOUR HEEEAAAD!!

/top of head opens and brain flies around on a jet

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Brain: Good Bye. /explodes

sthi si itequ ah rribohel stake'im aye veha dame

Don't worry, it was aaall an elaborate ploy!

But seriously, the resemblences between Scinter and that Australian Goanna/Lace Monitor are so cool.

8D 8D 8D
Calico Yorki

Location: With the Purple, the People, the Plastic-Eating People

Postby Twilight on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:58 am

That's a neat find. I shall complement it with a fun fact!

Scinter is actually the result of Bengal Monitors being awesome! 8D

It's cool that you found something else that shares, possibly even more characteristic similarities with him though. Right now I'm actually doubtful that he actually has any venom, but I guess that's never something to quickly dismiss. Interestingly enough, Dreamkeepers don't necesarily share the traits and qualities of whatever animal they may be based on, but I think this merited some awesome points XD
Twilight

Postby Mr Aerospace on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:23 am

Thanks Twi, Well at least I don't look stupid getting the wrong genus...right? (Whew, dodged a bullet there!) Although, that being said, the Lace Monitor is still a better match in my opinion!

Sorry, I must make a quick parenthesis here, because I need to rant about a stupid scientific 'fact' I have been made aware of. (Something Scinter would insist upon me doing too)...what the hell were we thinking when we decided that no, venom can't possibly be the reason for the weird symptoms people have to a monitor bite??? I mean to only just 'discover' venom in monitors in 2005 is simply mind boggling! I don't wish to take anything away from the actual discovery, but for the entire scientific world to ignore all the evidence for that long and just attributing it all to bacteria is just stupid and downright lazy, Grrrr!

back on topic though, I just envisioned our favourite badass using venom to his advantage while ambushing a 4 man patrol during the Toll Wars.I can imagine him breaking out of a dune biting the first guy, dual wielding his pistols into the next two and a tail whip to take out the 4th.
Last edited by Mr Aerospace on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Aerospace

Postby Twilight on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:23 pm

Actually, given the nature of the animals I'd say you got pretty close. Woo for win!!
Twilight

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:23 pm

I thought the thought process behind the bigger lizards and poisonous bites went along the lines of the Komodo Dragon... where they aren't poisonous, but a bite from them will get infected insanely fast, and usually leads to blood poisoning and amputation/death. Of course, there are some poisonous lizards, but still.
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby Mr Aerospace on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:14 am

Cutthoat, I suggest you re-check your facts, because Komodo's are part of the monitor lizard family, and are also poisonous.
Mr Aerospace

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:15 pm

Duly noted. I was working on old theories and information. I was bigger into reptiles when I was... younger. So the bulk of my knowledge on the subject consists of information absorbed from every encyclopedia I could find throughout elementary and middle schools.

Outdated info.

So, yes, poisonous... but also the whole thing with the gums covering most of their teeth and the insanely high bacteria count is pretty interesting too.
Chemical Cutthroat

---------

Previous

Return to DK Characters