Scavangers past Anduruna

Tired of being in character? Relax, ditch the mask, and take a break in the headless room.

Scavangers past Anduruna

Postby Clast on Mon May 21, 2012 10:46 pm

Ever wondered what lies past the Dune Sea? Up along the Northern Coast? What exactly is out there? Evidently, someone must have gone into that area, for there to be bandits and wars going on there. You here, are going there. Why? Think up a reason. Maybe you're a hired bodyguard protecting a lone caravan. Maybe you're a lost explorer who traveled from the Northern tip of the Starfell Mountains. Perhaps, you're some poor sod of a scavenger that decided the city wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Well, whatever the reason, you've left Anduruna, and decided to travel north, into the Dune Sea.

In your travels, you'll run into bandits, monstrous creatures, cannibals, rival scavengers, and all other manner of dangers. But you're tough, tricky, and witty; the perfect action hero! Think a combination of Mad Max, Fall Out, Indiana Jones, and the Book of Eli combine in the Dream World for the ultimate Sandbox adventure! Still reading? Good, you must be interested.

So, down to the brass tacks. This is a sand-box/mission based RP, where whatever character you want to be can be played. I will try my hardest to keep the world open and exciting, but remember, this is my first Dream Keepers RP (I play D&D and other RP's outside this forum, so I have experience, don't worry). However, most of what happens will not be canon to the world we as readers know. Don't expect everything to work out normally.

Secondly, here, powers are not automatically known or usable. Characters can have weapons and equipment, but only under special conditions will powers become usable (Think how Namah and Lilith discovered their powers, under very stressful and life-threatening situations). This does not mean you shouldn't write out the characters power in their description, because, well, you never know.

Third, this will only begin as a Sandbox game. Don't expect it to remain that forever. Because of this, it will be nice if it is possible for characters to not be thousands of miles away from each other. Perhaps they are all leaving Anduruna on the same caravan, or something.

Fourth, this will not start too soon. Perhaps around the begging of June I can get it going, but right now I have to study and eventually finish Final Exams. For those of you actually interested, ask any questions you like. I can catch a look at the Forum at least once a day, if not more, so I'll be happy to answer them. More information is forthcoming.

Woo, long description finished. Anyone interested, just post a response!
Clast

Re: Scavangers past Anduruna

Postby Clast on Tue May 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Alright, its Friday evening, and I'm finally home with some time on my hands. Finals are half over. They'll be finished next week by Thursday, and now its time for all the information I've been meaning to put up here:

To start, character information. There are several aspects to this. Each character should list their name, age, a physical description, and all the standard things. Next, they can list their power if they wish. That is right, you didn't misread. Each character does not have to have immediate access to their power. In fact, the story might work better if the majority of players don't have a power, or at the very least not an incredibly destructive one. I won't dis-allow anyone from joining because of their power, just keep what I have said in mind.

Next, is the character background. Remember, each player is leaving Anduruna into the Dune Sea for some reason. It could be anything, mind you. A few examples I thought up: leaving on an expedition searching for flo-wood seeds; serving as a lightly-armed private bodyguard for said expedition or a caravan; perhaps the character has discovered his power and is fleeing the city; the character may be a spy serving under one of the many bandit warlords hiding out in the Dune Sea; or anything else you can think of. The background does not need to be too over the top, but I will reward creative effort and originality (mostly with praise, but be on the lookout for "prizes" scattered around). However, here's the trick. Whatever you decide on, write it up and PM it to me. I will read over it, review it, and then either confirm it or suggest a few revisions. Once a final copy has been created between myself and the player, I will post it here to the headless room. The reason, is to omit any information that will make players uneasy about their fellow players. Say, for example, one character is a spy for a Bandit Warlord. Only myself and the player will no this, and at only that players discretion will any of the others find out. This will have to be carefully managed with many PM's between myself and the players. Over time, some will be getting hints as to who their fellows are, but be unsure as to what their motives are. Remember, this story is a survival adventure: do not expect your character to be completely safe. It is every man for himself (to an extent: I will disallow people acting like douches and killing their allies for no reason other than that they can, or any other asinine reason).

The next, an potentially, most important aspect of each character is equipment. "Equipment" is the colloquial term used in this RP to describe any and all supplies and tools taken with the character as they leave Anduruna. All of the characters are considered to have ample time to prepare, at the very least several days, and are therefore carrying all they think they will need to survive in the harsh Dune Sea. Each player is allowed up to five "slots" where they place equipment, to begin. As the story progresses, it is possible to find more equipment, or carrying containers which will grant additional slots. Each character is assumed to have enough bags and pack to carry their starting equipment with them. Given at the bottom of this post is a short list of viable equipment options, however, it is not complete. If any player wants to take an equipment piece not listed below, feel free to ask me about it and I'll respond with confirmation, and how many slots it will take up (not every piece of equipment equals a single slot; some more, some less...). I will only give a short description of each piece, there uses are largely up to the owner's own ingenuity. If you can think up a reasonable use for anything you take, you can do it. Also, bear in mind that your equipment must coincide with your character. A scholar is not going to be wandering around toting a set of knives, and likewise it is unlikely that a map-maker won't carry navigational tools. But otherwise, feel free to mix and match, just keep in mind what kind of person is holding onto it.

And finally, before I begin listing equipment, I have a few things to say. First, remember when I said this would be a sandbox adventure? I lied. Having given it much thought, that won't exactly work for what I'm planning here. There will definitely be plenty of character control as to what to do/where to go, but you can't just wander anywhere on whim. At least, not completely, as there might be some of that if it really gets going. Next, every character is leaving Anduruna at the same tie, on the same caravan. I find it highly unlikely that as treacherous a place as the Dune Sea is just open to travelers, free of any restraint. Instead, all characters must fandangle their way onto this caravan. This could involve having signed papers/pass-port granting you access on the trip, or maybe you sneak onto the cargo containers...who knows? That's your job (with some of my help). Before anyone starts getting any ideas, I will post a description of what exactly the caravan is. What does it look like, what kinds of guards/crew is there, are there separate wagons, or is it a single vehicle, that kind of stuff. All that, coming soon. Now, it's time for equipment:

Blackjack: Simple, solid, and good for beating someone over the head with. Also, they're normally illegal without proper licensing. (1 slot)
Data Scroll: A fairly common item for those with enough money, the Anduruna Data Scroll provides plenty of general information and common knowledge surrounding the Dune Seas. In addition, it can store notes and documents. For a more in-depth source of information, look at the Research Documents below. Also, be careful that it doesn't break or become damaged. (1 slot)
Dune Seas Gazetteer: This is the informational brochure you found near the way-points surrounding Anduruna's North Gates. Its mostly useless, but does give some history into the Toll Wars and a few bios of know threats lurking out there somewhere. (0 slots)
Fire Starter: A simple device that essentially combines a lighter with a shield. Kept in a small box, which includes a quantity of tinder, this is the most surefire method to start a fire during the freezing nights in the Dune Sea. Get some wood and your good to go. (1 slot)
H2O Collection System: This large, cylindrical container holds within it a convoluted series of pipes and chemical coolants, that retain their temperature even during the blistering daylight hours. Designed especially for use in the Dune Sea, the HCS (as it is called) collects water by forcing a phase-change in Water Vapor that travels through the tubing and into contact with the chemical coolants. The HCS can "create" about a fourth Liter of water per hour, and store up to 5 Liters. (3 slots)
Jack of all Trades: The slang term for a set of repair tools carried often by workers. Includes simple tools, namely pliers, shears, and always a Jackknife. Never leave home without one...or several. (1 slot)
Medical Kit: A very common and useful item, combining first aid tools such as bandages, suture, needles, and scissors, with more uncommon items such strong pain-killers and water-purifying tablets. All packed inside a metal case with clasps. Very useful and durable. (1 slots)
Navigational Tools: This large pack is packed full of as many actually viable maps there are of the Dune Seas, as well as an assortment of compasses, distance measuring tools, and mirrors, perfect for finding your way in the Dune Seas (as much as is possible). (3 slots)
Non-Lethal Grenade set: Invaluable to anyone who isn't willing to break the law and carry an illegal Springer could always invest in a Non-Lethal grenades. Designed for civilian protection (think cans of mace), this small pack contains a set of four of either: Spark-Grenades, Smoke Bombs, Stun Bombs, or Knockouts. Once more, special licensing is required to use these lawfully. (2 slots)
Optics: Sold from City Guard surplus stores, and even then only to private businesses specializing in guard duties, these well crafted lenses provide protection from and clear vision through smoke, darkness, and other obscurities. Watch out for spark-grenades, though. (1 slot)
Rations and Water: Seems like a no-brianer right? Bring food and water on long trips in a desert. Well, not exactly. Caravans can provide plenty of the food and drink necessary to survive under the blistering sun. That being said, some people like to be prepared for anything. (each slot provides enough food and water for one person for one day)
Research Documents: Anyone who wants to talk the talk about their chosen field should carry these papers. A combination of notes, treatises, and scientific journals that provide an unbelievable amount of information on a single subject. (1 slot)
Sand-Blockers: The standard term for any amount of environmental protection. This involves goggles, gloves, head-wraps, and the like. You won't have to worry about biting sands or flawing wind again with this on! (2 slots)
Shelter: A simple tent that is stored easily and built quickly. (1 slot)

Well...shoot, that's not very many options. Eh, I post more later. As of right, not, this post is long enough. Don't forget to ask about your own equipment ideas, or if you have any questions, just post them here.
Last edited by Clast on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Clast

Postby Halo's shadow on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:11 am

What exactly do you want in a character sheet?

Ex,

Name:
Etc....

This'll help expedite the process of signing up.

I am interested in this, and once you reply, I should have a character idea formulated.
Halo's shadow

Postby Mr Aerospace on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:21 am

Well this is getting interesting, I like it! I may have a character that would suit this story...just gotta work on him a little more.
Two things I'd like to know though:
1) What year is this adventure happening in, as my character's age is dependent on it (for reference it's 1227 in the novels)
2) Do you plan to have set chapters/events and an end to this story? I don't particularly want to be in an RP for 2-3years, so a good time-frame would be a great way to convince me to join. ;)
Mr Aerospace

Postby Clast on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:40 am

Right, this should be happening after the stories are set, because I plan for there to be more advanced technologies (motorized vehicles, and black-powder firearms, for a start :D )...so I'll say roughly 1300, somewhere in that area. In game, the RP shouldn't last longer than a month or two, and there is an end to the RP. If everything works out as I plan, and players stay interested and post often, the adventure should carry over a series of several months to a year (if things drag out).

Don't forget to post with your own ideas for equipment, or any character ideas!
Clast

Postby boomboy on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Well you got me interested. MY character, Church, would be almost too perfectly suited to this Rp/mission thingy. But I also agree with Clast. If we could be allowed to use cordite weapony (Eg. Pistols and assault rifles) Then I'd be even more than happy to join in. If not, I'm sure I can make a plan. Either way, I'm certainly interested.
boomboy

Postby Mr Aerospace on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:42 am

Ok, well that puts my character out of action, and I'm not too sure I'd be interested in a year long RP anyway. Good luck all the same!
Mr Aerospace

Postby Clast on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:28 am

So...how long do RPs normally last? I would think about a year seems right, if all you do is check it every night or few nights...
Clast

Postby boomboy on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:42 pm

It usually it depends on how many twists are thrown in the mixture. That and how interested each player is in the thread. Also, it depends on Real life and its constant challenges. One Rp that was supposed to last two years only lasted a month because the other guy left the site. So it all depends really.
boomboy

Postby Clast on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:29 pm

Yeah, the last one I was in lasted for about a month, than players lost interest and left. I hope I'll be able to prevent that by making this as interesting as possible. And even if it doesn't go over, I can just tweak the design and story, and fix anything that needs it, and then try again some other time.

EDIT: Here are some more pieces of equipment I thought up over the last few days:
Floodlight: It gets dark at night in the Dune Sea, just like everywhere else. Be able to see with this large flashlight incorporates and LED light with a 100 meter beam into a compact steel container that is both light-weight and durable. This is the god of flashlights. (1 slot)
Combat Knife: Big, study, and sharp, it doesn't get much better than a combat knife for utilitarian needs, or stabbing something to death. It is also completely legal...with licensing for a concealed weapon. (1 slot)
Hunting Rifle: Laws concerning the hunting of wildlife are ambiguous and difficult to understand in Anduruna, and along with the only now developing science of black-powder, the current Viscount Reinald is having a tough time deciding on the use of civilian firearms. As of right now, this simple, single-shot, bolt-action rifle (complete with scope), roughly .24 caliber, is legal with permit, and distributed from heavily regulated areas. It is rifled, and has a maximum effective range of nearly 300-500 meters. Ammunition is only sold in small quantities, so it is unlikely that any individual would carry upwards of twenty rounds. (2 slots)
Springer Pistol: Simple, small handgun that carries a seven round magazine. Effective range up to 100 meters. Again, ammunition is heavily regulated, and it is unlikely for an individual to carry more than several magazines. The restrictions on these smaller-sized springer are much lighter than the newer black-powder weapons, and as such it is much easier to get one on hand than any other manufactured projectile weapon. (1 slot)
Water Test Kit: Combined steel container holds pH test strips, a small pot and canned heat for boiling water, and a stockpile of Water-Purification Tablets. Also includes strips of draining cloth, and a 1-litre canteen. (1 slot)
Clast

---------

Return to Headless room.