Red Bull Stratos - freefall from the edge of space

Wanna chat about something that *gasp* isn't in one of the all-encompassing categories? Come on in!

Re: Red Bull Stratos - freefall from the edge of space

Postby Thegunner18 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:05 pm

Oseirus wrote:Augh, I'm just trying to imagine the feeling in your gut when you finally crack the sound barrier. The tower drop rides at Six Flags are enough for me.

He actually said in the post-freefall interview that he didn't feel the effects of going through the sound barrier which is pretty interesting.

"I didn't feel the sonic boom, I think it happens behind you"

And the balloon he fell from went 8000 feet higher than expected. The capsule was designed to be re-usable, too...

Anyone want to have a go? ;)
Thegunner18

Re: Red Bull Stratos - freefall from the edge of space

Postby DanWithTheHat on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Avolendi wrote:Considering the guy that jumped knows how to stabilize himself was the reason for me to think it's mainly the lack of air to stabilize against. Of course there might still be other factors, like perhaps turbulence or differences in air pressure (beyond the obvious vertical).
During the ascent of the balloon, the commentator said something about how he will have limited control of his fall for a certain amount of time and they were worried about him spinning too much during that time period. I didn't hear them explain why though.

My guess would be that it was the combination of the acceleration he was experiencing at that point and low air pressure creating less air resistance. Without much air pushing back creating enough drag to counteract the force of gravity acting on his body, he can't push off to control the spin like skydivers do at lower altitudes. He is just at the mercy of gravity and the air currents up at that height.
Thegunner18 wrote:And the balloon he fell from went 8000 feet higher than expected. The capsule was designed to be re-usable, too...

Anyone want to have a go? ;)
Why not? You only live once... :lol:
DanWithTheHat

---------

Previous

Return to 'Other' - miscellaneous discussion