Red Bull Stratos - freefall from the edge of space

Wanna chat about something that *gasp* isn't in one of the all-encompassing categories? Come on in!

Red Bull Stratos - freefall from the edge of space

Postby DanWithTheHat on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Is anyone else following the progress of the jump? Its a pretty amazing feat they are attempting. Their target is to jump from 120,000 ft and they are less than 5,000 ft from their target atm. Here is the live feed for anyone interested:
EDIT: Now that the jump was completed, here is the recap video:
Last edited by DanWithTheHat on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanWithTheHat

Re: Red Bull Stratos - freefall from the edge of space

Postby Wreckeronezero on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:38 pm

I'm watching it live with my family, its really cool, i remember reading about the narrators jump back in the day. It'll be interesting to see what happens if/when he breaks the sound barrier in his suit.
Wreckeronezero

Location: Washington D.C. Defending the WhiteHouse from Scrin forces alongside GDI forces.

Postby DanWithTheHat on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:02 pm

I'm watching it with my family as well. Hopefully, the suit and his body holds up when he breaks the sound barrier. Its getting close to jump time!

Edit: He did it! That is one amazing accomplishment by that whole team.
DanWithTheHat

Postby Thegunner18 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:31 pm

I was quite nervous when he started spinning out of control, but he did amazingly to steady it again! To see him conscious, talking to people and standing on his feet is such a relief.

Awesome job from Felix Baumgartner!
Thegunner18

Postby DanWithTheHat on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:36 pm

Thegunner18 wrote:I was quite nervous when he started spinning out of control, but he did amazingly to steady it again! To see him conscious, talking to people and standing on his feet is such a relief.
That was pretty scary. The people in the control room looked really worried about it as well. It must of been really disorienting for him. You can tell that it took a lot of effort to steady himself from how he sounded on the radio once he was in a stable position.
DanWithTheHat

Postby Oseirus on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:33 pm

I would have been able to watch his first attempt, but thanks to winds or whatever they aborted, and then I was working all day yesterday so I didn't get to see the actual jump. I'll have to see if I can find a rerun of the broadcast somewhere later on.

Dude has balls of steel though. I can barely climb a ladder without panicking and the guy just jumped out of a bitty little capsule within spitting distance of orbit.
Oseirus

Postby Avolendi on Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:37 pm

Quite awesome :)

Do wondering if the stabilization issues at the start has anything to do with the part of not having much air at the start to stabalize against ^^;
Avolendi

Postby Oseirus on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:05 pm

Augh, I'm just trying to imagine the feeling in your gut when you finally crack the sound barrier. The tower drop rides at Six Flags are enough for me.
Oseirus

Postby Mr Aerospace on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:30 pm

Good question Av!
I'd say it probably has a little more to do with the wonderfully awful aerodynamics of the human body alone, but even for vehicles, there is unsurprisingly very little practical testing to back up high altitude low speed research, so issues may and do arise that are new and need to be dealt with on the fly.

For example, if you recall SpaceShipOne had stability issues while on it's way up a couple of years ago that hadn't previously been encountered or predicted either. Thankfully the team found a solution before it was too late!

Kaf may have a much better grasp on these sorts of issues though, considering he's actually working on a suborbital spacecraft, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he also announces that human body aerodynamics are not his area of expertise.
Mr Aerospace

Postby Avolendi on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:22 am

Considering the guy that jumped knows how to stabilize himself was the reason for me to think it's mainly the lack of air to stabilize against. Of course there might still be other factors, like perhaps turbulence or differences in air pressure (beyond the obvious vertical).

Unfortunately I don't recall SpaceShipOne. I looked it up (interesting), but didn't find much details on the encountered stability issues.
Avolendi

---------

Next

Return to 'Other' - miscellaneous discussion