Prologue: Pandora's Bones

A sparkling fantasy world is here. Rev up your imagination, and get ready to be a part of the story!

Re: Prologue: Pandora's Bones

Postby Sorrel on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Suddenly a figure skidded around the corner and came running down the hall -- then slid to a stop and barely managed to catch a folder stuffed with papers as it flew from his arms.

Adanza blinked at all the people in the hallway. Then he stood up properly, straightened his tie and smiled politely. "Oh. Hello there. Something tells me you're not a group of students here for midterm conferences." Then he seemed to realize who all he was looking at.

His eyes widened, face breaking into a huge grin. "Wait, is that... Lüt! Flunder! Gracious, I scarcely recognized you, all fancied up like that. I was just about to go looking for you. And -- actually is there a reason why all of you seem to be orbiting around my door?" He patted the overstuffed folder and eyed the door, as well as the young man and gigantic ox unwittingly blocking his path. "Need to, er, drop something off with Ms. Huang real quick-like. Something I can do for you?"
Sorrel

Postby Devious_Psychopath on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:09 pm

Before anyone could reply to Adanza's question, a medium-sized bird landed out his window and started tapping loudly on the glass. There was a message canister around it's leg.
Devious_Psychopath

Postby Sorrel on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:01 pm

Adanza froze.

Then he smacked his forehead and gave a sharp rap on the glass. "Shoo! Wrong window." He waved jazz-hands at the befuddled creature, which spooked and took off in a flurry of wings. "Stupid pigeons. One moment."

He skirted the little hallway social-gathering and tugged on the office doorknob. It swung open to reveal a brightly lit visual cacophony of color and texture; practically every surface beyond was decorated with replica figurines, carvings, and fragmentary artworks and documents, as well as what looked an awful lot like a prodigious Harvest Festival bead collection. A few glittering masks hung on the walls.

A green tigress sat at a small, sparsely furnished desk in one corner, hunched over a spread of photocopies and scribbling into a notepad. A single ear-perk marked her acknowledgment of Adanza's entrance.

"Ms. Huang, that silly bird is at it again." He slapped the folder onto his desk and began carefully rifling through its contents. "Could you check the mail room before the poor thing hurts itself?"

She angled her head slightly and raised an eyebrow, adjusting her reading glasses. "Again?"

"Indeed. I'm starting to think it's a bit brain damaged. That one collision with the wall couldn't have been good for it."

She rose, straightened a misaligned pencil, and made for the door. "I'll take care of it." And she strode out into the hallway without so much as a passing glance at the newcomers -- save a respectful nod towards Lüt and a slight narrowing of the eyes at Sufjan.

Adanza pulled a small satchel off the back of his chair and started packing. Documents, pictures, a map from a cork board bear the desk, and a small datapad. And one of the figurines.

"Now, where were we. Lüt, I know why you're here. Who are these fine gentlemen?"
Sorrel

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:21 am

Lüt did his best to ignored the fluttering creature, and leaned in the doorway, propping against the doorframe and leaving his companions out in the hall, “My apologies, I tend to gather attention as I go. Mik is here on my request. I've had... a little bit of hassle since your announcement.” He touched his cheek gingerly, “I thought a little extra help might be in order. I don't know if you remember Dirt, but he's been out of the city a couple of times, and I can think of a better bit of muscle than him.”

Lüt waved a hand towards Søren, and pushed the young lad through the door towards the Doctor, “And this chap has a fairly ridiculous degree in geology. I met him out front, and he wanted to drop off his application in person. And I for one can't neglect that sort of perseverance.” Lüt gave a subtle wink to Søren as he nodded towards the Doctor, “Having... err... bird problems?”
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby Sorrel on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:16 am

"You could say that, yes." Adanza sifted through a stack of documents on his desk, frowned, then brightened and snapped his fingers and kicked a stool over to one of the bookshelves. He hopped up and started tracing the line of texts and journals. "One of the psychology undergrads got the brilliant idea of training dune-pigeons as mailmen. I'd give him a round of applause, if only the little feather-heads would stop leaving surprises on my windowsill."

He grinned and plucked a battered hand-bound atlas from the shelf. "Ah, here we go." Shove. Into the satchel it went. The scholar hefted it over one shoulder and leaned against the desk, finally taking the time to give everyone else a once-over. His brow furrowed. His ears pricked, and he raised his eyebrows. "Good to see you again, Mr... Mr. Grunt, I believe it was? Shame Mr. Lüthervane had to enlist your services under such unpleasant circumstances. Though you're well up to the task, if memory serves."

And now for the young academic in shorts and a shirt. Adanza's eyes fell on the portfolio in Søren's hands. "Ah, and what's this about a ridiculous geology degree? Let's see what you've got there..."

Dai-Jin was only a few broad strides into her journey to the mail room when something THUNK'd against the hall window. She froze mid-step, blinked, and turned.

The silly pigeon had flown straight into the glass this time. Though to its credit, the little creature got up, shook itself, and went straight into its insistent pecking routine. Sure enough, there was a mail canister on it's leg, a tiny device no bigger than a thumb. The bird cooed and bobbed its head.

"One day you're going to snap your own neck, Buckie." Dai moved to open the window, but the bird hopped away, eyes fixed on her hands. She scowled. "Come here." Click-click shunk, she shoved the window open and held out her hand. Little Buckie cocked its head and scuttled sideways along the ledge. "Come here, dense one. Come on."

The bird tried to flee -- but one hand snapped out and caught it, pinning its wings under shackles of inch-long claws. The tiny creature was surprisingly boney beneath all the feathers. So fragile. She slowly pried its little feet off the ledge and coaxed it into extending its leg, handling it as though it were a little glass doll. The canister slipped off without much effort.

She released her grip on the pigeon, which took off and proceeded to fly around in wild circles above her head. For a moment, she watched its antics. Then she heaved a sigh and massaged her eyes. She popped the canister open and shook the thin, rolled-up paper inside onto her palm.

It took about thirty seconds to read it. And her expression morphed into something rather unpleasant.
Sorrel

Postby RedFox on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:10 am

Sufjan watched as Lüt took command of the conversation with Adanza. His assisstant was dealing with a pigeon. Adanza mentioned Lüt, Dirt, Søren...and Lüt conversed politely about those people. Flunder half-raised, half-waved his hand.

"I'm also here. In case anyone was wondering." He joked lightly.
RedFox

Postby Thegunner18 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:11 pm

For a good few seconds, Søren didn't react to Adanza's request to see his portfolio; he was too busy looking around at all of the decorations, figurines...even the amount of paperwork that was there. It certainly seemed like he was a busy man. It was no wonder he needed an assistant to help him out. From the brief meeting with the tigress, Adanza's assistant, Søren already knew that she was one hell of an efficient worker.

Eventually, though, Søren noticed Dr. Adanza looking at him. "Oh, right, yeah." he replied quickly in a slightly embarassed tone of voice, swiftly handing his portfolio over the expedition leader. He flicked his head to one side so his hair wasn't casually covering his eye as it usually did and awaited the response he'd get.

"I'm also here. In case anyone was wondering."

Søren smirked at this a little as he glanced to the side to see Sufjan almost waving at Adanza to try and get some attention. He stuck his hands into the pockets of the shorts he was wearing and turned his attention back to Dr. Cayo Adanza, still smirking slightly.
Thegunner18

Postby Acclimated Madness on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:37 pm

Dirt only grunted at Sufjan's remark. The incident with his horn was just one of many injuries. No permanent harm done. The doctor finally made his appearance, but Dirt let others perform the pleasantries.

"I'm also here. In case anyone was wondering."

Dirt put a heavy hand on Sufjan's head, squeezing it a bit.

"We weren't," he said with a grin.
Acclimated Madness

Postby Sorrel on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:38 pm

Adanza took his time flipping through the pages of recommendations, achievements, and academic records. A slideshow of emotions played across his face, each more positive than the last. At length he folded everything back into its original package and carefully tucked it into a filing cabinet.

"Well, you certainly seem more than qualified." He gave Søren's appearance a once-over, as though actually looking at him for the first time, weighing some unseen quality. His eyebrows rose approvingly. "I'd love to talk with you more about it some time soon. Something informal, maybe in that coffee shop down the road." He grinned. "I'd offer an interview tonight, but unfortunately I have a prior engagement with Mr. Lüthervane. Business details. Background things. Perhaps tomorrow?"

He cast about the room, frowning, and plucked a pen from his desk. "Now where did my calendar go."

The office door opened with a click. The tigress peeked her head inside.

"Doctor, there's a message waiting for you."

He brightened. "Ms. Huang, wonderful! What's my schedule for the next week, offhand? Any slots open?"

"You're free tomorrow from two to four PM. Saturday and Sunday are booked full with follow-up interviews from the conference, and Monday you've got a personal visitor for the whole day. Tuesday is free, except for classes. Wednesday is open between eleven and one PM." She could have been reciting the alphabet.

Adanza grinned and looked back at Søren. "How's tomorrow sound?"
Sorrel

Postby Thegunner18 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:31 pm

Søren managed to keep up his casual demeanour, despite the fact that the first impressions Adanza was going to get from looking at his portfolio could easily be the deciding factor in whether or not he got the job. To be honest, though, people like him were difficult to come by. He wasn't being arrogant or anything but that was the truth. Or at  least,  that was what his previous employers told him. 

Søren didn't actually know how good he was in comparison to others with similar qualifications to him, but seeing Adanza's reaction to his portfolio and all the other crap in that application gave him some sort of hope, that was for sure. Still, he had to go through the interview though...he hated interviews.

He then nodded once at Adanza and smiled a little. Fortunately, he'd have a little bit more time to prepare for the interview now. Before Søren could say anything, he was interrupted by a very recognisable voice.

"Doctor, there's a message waiting for you."

Flinching slightly at the sound of the tigress' voice, he turned his head slightly, just able to see her in the corner of his eye. He knew, clearly, not to interrupt her so he stayed completely silent. Part of the reason he did stay silent, though, was because he was simply amazed at how she could possibly recite all of that information so effortlessly. That...kinda made him speechless.

"How's tomorrow sound?"

Søren was quickly snapped out of his trance-like state.

"I-um..." he hesitated, only now remembering he was just staring into space. "Er...no problem, Doctor Adanza. Tomorrow it is." Søren replied in an embarrassed tone, glancing at Lüt and then back to Adanza. 

Well, now he knew why Lüt was dressed in very formal clothes. It didn't really suit him all too well but, then again,  who was he to judge? He knew nothing about fashion, as was evident with what he was wearing.

Shorts in winter? Yeah, exactly.
Thegunner18

---------

PreviousNext

Return to IC - DreamWorld Adventures...