POWER PLAY

Every human has their own unique persona in the DreamWorld - and, frequently, online! Come mingle with the colorful cast, and introduce your own character to the mix.

Re: POWER PLAY

Postby Calico Yorki on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Alright, more ideas, let's do this.

EDIT: Oh, and Pyronite, I do like your DK's Power.

Niiice and straighforward. 83

~ ~ ~

Take Over
Converts the user's own existence into a projectile that is launched at high speed and in a straight line towards a Nightmare. Upon impacting them, the Nightmare's essence is forced out, while the physical body is analyzed, deconstructed, then reconstructed to suit a dreamkeeper's soul. After two minutes or if the Nightmare's body is killed, the body dissolves and the Dreamkeeper is restored whole. The biggest risk is that, should the Nightmare move to avoid the initial projectile attack, the dreamkeeper might take weeks to reconstitute themselves.

---

Poison Body
Converts every last portion of the user's body into toxins and venoms that will harm dreamkeepers, but is far more lethal towards Nightmares. Among its uses, the user can produce tear gas; can form entire constructs and creatures out of poison; converts their blood into a toxin that will rapidly decay any Nightmare's body on contact; and allows them to, in exchange for knocking out their Power's use for a week, distill all the poison in their body into a supervenom that can eat through rock and gives off vapors that send Nightmares into fatal convulsions.

---

Weight Manipulation
Allows user to defy the laws of gravity however they wish, from turning themselves so weightless that they can float on an umbrella to so heavy that just falling onto a Nightmare could do serious internal damage. However, it must be done in steady increments - Rapidly changing one's own weight, especially from light to heavy, can cause one's bones and muscles to start suffering lethally under the tension.
Calico Yorki

Location: With the Purple, the People, the Plastic-Eating People

Postby pyronite654 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:58 pm

POWER: Inertia Intensifying
HALO: Silvery Gray
This power gives the user the ability to...intensify the effects of inertia. An object at rest stays at rest, where an object in motion stays in motion. To elaborate, if he uses it on something moving, it will keep moving in the same direction until it runs into something that can stop it. On the contrary, if he uses it on something that isn't moving, there isn't any force in world that can move it. The object can still be damaged, it just can't be moved. It'll probably just fall apart once the effects are turned off. The user can only use this power on contact. The downsides are that, while the user can deactivate the 'stay at rest' part whenever they want, they won't be able to stop the moving object until it runs into something. Also, if someone with, say, super strength, they will be able to move even if the 'object at rest' thing is used on them, if they're strong enough.
pyronite654

Postby Reed R Gale on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:28 pm

Power: Container Warping

Description: This ability links containers that were artificially created creating a portal between them. This means one could link two cups, a cup and a wardrobe, a wardrobe and a cupboard. The user must, however, see the inside of the object in question.
Reed R Gale

Postby Mr Aerospace on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Ok, here's a pair of powers that I've made for some characters (that are not yet done). Descriptions are non-existent and hopefully unnecessary, but it took a surprising amount of effort to get them that way.

Power: Crypsis
Halo: Adaptive and lustreless

Power: Augur
Halo: Red with a small arc missing in front
Mr Aerospace

Postby Dream-Weaver on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:45 pm

I just came up with another power, I really like this one

Power: Entropic field

Description: The user of this power emits a field of energy around themselves (radius of about 10 feet) that greatly increases the entropy of their surroundings.

As the entropy increases, so too does uncertainty, this can have several effects...

1. All creatures (Dreamkeeper, Nightmare, or animal) and weapons become significantly less acurate when attacking (ie. more likely to miss), after 30 seconds the probablility becomes so low that the only way to hit anything is through sheer luck.

2. All automatic measurment devices (eg. clocks, compasses, thermometers, etc.) behave strangly (clocks will slow down/speed up (somtimes alternating both), compasses and thermometers will constantly change to random readings, etc.)
All devices return to normal once they leave the field (clocks might still be inaccurate)
Devices that are manual (ie. rulers, measuring cups, etc) are unaffected

3. After a few minutes light and sound will start to bend, gravity will randomly vary between 50% to 200% normal levels, temperature will change wildly, and time itself can somtimes slow by as much as half (ie. 2 minutes in the field is 1 minutes outside of it).

4. If the power is held constant for 10 minutes (outside the field) entropy will reach a maximum level, at which point the field will collapse and all living creatures within will pass out (including the user)

The user of this power is affected by the field just as others are, cannot move while using this power and is completely vunurable (assuming someone is lucky enough to land a hit).

This power is designed to create chaos and confusion. All within the field will quickly become disoriented (those of weak constitution may even pass out) and if the field is up for long enough, the disorientation will remain for a few minutes after it's removed, allowing the user to escape

Halo: When the field is active, the users halo randomly alternates between several colors and various brightness. The rate that this happens increases the longer the field is active, mere moments before the field collapses, the user's halo is changing color so quickly that it appears pure white

This one might seem a little bit over powered, but remember that the user is affected as well, so really it's a double-edged sword

EDIT: I forgot to mention this, mostly because I thought it was obvious and am just now seeing that it might not be to everyone, but this power will disable the power of another Dreamkeeper that's in the field (with VERY few exceptions), but only if the power is active while in the field

When a power is disabled, the user's halo is still visible, but the power itself cannot be accessed.

The disabled power cannot be deactivated (ie. the halo cannot be desummoned) until the power is re-enabled, which can take anywhere between instantly to 5 minutes after leaving the field depending on time exposed, as well as the nature of the power
Last edited by Dream-Weaver on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dream-Weaver

Postby Calico Yorki on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:01 pm

I came up with this for an upcoming dreamkeeper. BEHOLD

Bottle Service
This Power seems fairly contrived, and that's because it is very contrived for what seems like such a simpleminded, carefree 'keeper. Iburki can take a single hit from an energy-based attack, be it from a Nightmare''s ability or another dreamkeeper's Power, and store a fragment of that hit's raw power in a gourd-flask of booze always kept on her person. This raw energy can be stored up, to be distilled with that from more and more hits, for an indefinite period of time until it's actually put to use. Using the flask in and of itself is merely a formality; should she need to, just cupped hands full of water can store a minimal amount of energy. Any contained liquid that can be guzzled in a single go will do just fine.

Once the stored energy is downed, Iburki releases all of it from her body. The more energy stored up, the more drunk off'n her %#@ she becomes; however, she fights best when she's blitzed, anyways. The aura can last anywhere from eleven seconds to half-an-hour, and in addition to lasting longer as more energy is distilled, it becomes evermore potent. At higher levels, Iburki can create blasts, barriers, simple constructs, etc. from this aura; provided she can think to do anything but wail on her foes.

That's perfectly cool, though: in this state, she's strong enough to hurl small buildings. However, there is always the ultimate enemy of the drunkard: the hangover. Once the effect fades, Iburki is put through the rigmarole with proportional severity and duration to how much energy she knocked back. Sometimes, she can't even last five minutes after entering the state before, to paraphrase a learned man: she must go to brush something off of her face, and realize, it is the ground.
Calico Yorki

Postby Reed R Gale on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:30 pm

Oh man, I haven't done this in FOREVER!

Halo Snatcher:

The 'keeper with this ability can literally grab halos from other dreamkeepers. Once in possession of the halo, they can give it to another person or forcibly seal the power as long as their power is active. Simple, but useful power.
Reed R Gale

Postby Dream-Weaver on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Power: Precognition

Description: The user of this power gains the ability to see up to 30 seconds into the future.

Using this power, the user can predict the actions of any Dreamkeeper, Nightmare, or animal with 100% accuracy.

The user of this power can only predict the actions of 1 creature at a time, so if 2 or more creatures attack at once, the user will be in trouble. However, the precognition is on top of the user's normal senses, so one could theoretically focus all their attention on 1 person, while using their power to keep tabs on another, this isn't perfect however, as the constant sensory input can easily confuse the user...

This power isn't limited to just living creatures, and if the user activates the power but doesn't focus it on a particular entity, the power alerts the user of anything that can potentially cause them immediate harm (eg. a springer round, falling objects, a suckerpunch, etc.), they are alerted of this mere moments before it happens, just barely giving them the time to avoid it. If the danger is such that it cannot be avoided within 30 seconds, the user will still be alerted, and would instatnly know what to do to minimize the damage they take.

If the user does focus on a particuar entity, the power will still alert them of anything that would kill them, but not necessarily give them enough time to avoid it.

Halo: Soft-green surrounded by a faint purplish glow

Just a power I thought of, simple yet really effective.
Dream-Weaver

Postby Calico Yorki on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:36 pm

...Oh God.

Lightning Generation and Control

What can I say about the Power of Lightning? I can say that it is what made Zeus able to rule the Universe, and it can cause the air surrounding an arc to skyrocket to temperatures four or five times hotter than the surface of the sun.

This specific Power enables the user to summon an imitation of lightning, a fraction of its true Power. It is still terrifyingly precise and destructive. With more powerful control, tiny pulses of electricity can be used to power devices, or even kickstart a stopped heart. However, it requires true focus and control. Should it be allowed to run wild with anger or fear, it will destroy the surroundings, destroy any allies along with enemies, and inevitably disintegrate the user themselves. It can fell truly terrible Nightmares, accurately and over immense distances, but if it isn't kept reined in, it will destroy everything around the user.

EDIT: Now, the following is a very nasty power.

I actually came up with it while pondering the lyrics from Jeff Buckley's stellar rendition of "Hallelujah", in which he sings, essentially, "all I ever learned from love was how to shoot someone who outdrew ya." I know that's a metaphor...

...But how, in physical terms, would you shoot someone who outdrew you?

That, my friends, is if you drawing your gun is just a formality.

I give you my nasty, nasty quasi-original idea:

Causality Inversion

We know, basically, how causality works. In simplistic terms, cause and effect. The cause is "I shoved my brother," the effect is "he fell and busted his elbow." This power, however, turns that entire concept on its head. So long as it is in effect, the user can muddle the due process of causality. In effect, the cause is, "my bullet pierced his heart," and the effect is, "I fired my gun." This Power is unorthodox and of a very dangerous class, because it intervenes with fate. It marks someone as destined to be hit, and it is something that cannot be defeated with brute strength, agility, or tactical brilliance.

However, it comes at a serious cost: if kept activated for longer than approximately what it would take to draw and fire a springer, it begins to place a "debt" on the user. This takes the effect of gravity steadily increasing on their body, for every second they keep their Power in effect. This is because their Power rewrites the nature of - well, nature. If the Power did not affect some kind of recompense for this act, then the dreamkeeper's Power could begin to unravel the fabric of space and time. Because a Power should never inherently threaten all that it protects, this Power limits its own capacity and that of its user as a safety measure.

~ ~ ~

A lot of presumptions but w/e
Calico Yorki

Postby Reed R Gale on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:18 am

Interesting. Kind of reminds me of one of my character's power, though his was made to be broken. Cause and effect reversal would make it very hard for others to comprehend the situation. I guess the only weaknesses this effect has include the limitations, and physical impossibility. Also, even if you can reverse fate, can you do the physically impossible? I threw a rock because you died? If, say, I were fighting a creature that couldn't be killed by the rock in any way shape or form, would nothing happen? And would opponents be able to access the law change? And how would movement work, "I walked because I got from point A to point B?" What happens if something gets in the way of that? A lot of questions are raised by this power, and answering them to your fullest capacity would be nice.

Just because you reminded me, I'm going to post Carapace's ability:

Total Reversal:

The user can never turn off their power. Ever. In tradeoff, the user has access to an unorthodox, useful power, the ability to point at something and make it opposite. The first thing that the user did after figuring this out was turn off his power by pointing at his halo and changing the concept from on to off. To change a conceptual thing, like sight, he would only need to point at the object and think in his mind of what it represents.

Example: The halo can be seen. The halo cannot be seen.

By making those two statements in his head, the opposite is made clear and the roles are reversed. Other uses include reversal of age, heath problems, and the like. In combat, he can change a springer from "shoot" to "can't shoot." If an opponent is running "towards me," he changes it to, "away from me" and the force of the action is reversed. He can fly by pointing at himself and thinking, "can't fly" to "can fly." The uses are endless.

The power is not foolproof however. If both hands are gloved, the power cannot be activated. If the user points at two different things, nothing will happen even if the thought statement works both ways and even if the objects are the same. Basically, if the hands are dealt with, there is no issue.

Also, save for halos, natural growth, and health, for some reason, actions that include the body cannot be affected.
Reed R Gale

---------

PreviousNext

Return to Character cafe'