Philosophy, Quotes, and other Univerisal Nonsense

Wanna chat about something that *gasp* isn't in one of the all-encompassing categories? Come on in!

Re: Philosophy, Quotes, and other Univerisal Nonsense

Postby WhiteinBlack on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:46 pm

"Mad is Normal and Normal is Mad"- made by me!

"If you 'would not could not anywhere' then you would not could not 'would not could not anywhere.' Which also means you could not would not 'would not could not' "would not could not anywhere." Which would lead to would not could not....

Dr. Seuss paradox! Blast you Green eggs and Ham for making sense of nonsense.
WhiteinBlack

Postby Avolendi on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:56 pm

WiB: I prefer that formulated in a more complicated manner ^^
Normal is defined as the average of the whole, meaning it consists of many points of which most will differ from the exact average. As such someone or something that is truely normal will be a larger deviation from the whole, than some arbitrary deviation will be strange in respect to the average.

The shortest distance between two points is not a straight line. It is to connect the two dots.
One interpretation of this I've heard was where this could be considered as 'folding' through a higher dimension.
Not sure if this was refered to somewhere in the forum already, but at least not yet here. The concept of the folding through a higher dimension is quite interestingly explained in the follow clip, .
Avolendi

Postby WhiteinBlack on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:38 am

Dear goodness! What have I done to myself! My brain is hurting from that Av.

AHHHHHH!!

It's on cold fire! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
WhiteinBlack

Postby Hazzardous on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:23 pm

Damn, used up all the good ones...all I got left are these two...

If the plural of goose is geese, why aren't many moose called meese?

Who do some families park their cars outside of the garage, and then store all their useless junk in it?

-----------------------------

You were spared THIS time White!
Hazzardous

Postby Avolendi on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:11 pm

WhiteinBlack wrote:Dear goodness! What have I done to myself! My brain is hurting from that Av.

AHHHHHH!!

It's on cold fire! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Hahaha xD
Your welcome!

I find stuff like that quite interesting though. To continue antagonizing people a bit more, a while ago I thought of something that should fit right in here ^^

A wise man once said ...

What a wise man says may not always be wisdom
No matter how wise a man may be
No matter should a wise man never say a foolish word

For should a wise man ask for someone to pass the salt
this is neither considered as wise nor intended as wisdom
as such, not all that a wise man says is wisdom
nor should each word a wise man says be profound indeed
Avolendi

Postby Dream-Weaver on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:52 pm

I’m not entirely sure where this came from. I was just taking notes in calculus class when this suddenly came to me.

I felt the need to post it, and it fits with the topic of this thread in a broad sense, so I posted it here.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

In the beginning, there was nothing; no heat, no cold, no light, no darkness, not even time existed; all was but an eternal void of nothing.

Then the nothing exploded…

From the explosion was born Order and Substance, and all was good

A few microseconds after the beginning, Substance split into Matter and Energy, and the resulting disruption of Order’s beautiful system gave rise to Chaos.

Order and Chaos didn’t like eachother, Order wished to create and maintain, while Chaos wished to destroy and alter; the 2 never saw eye-to-eye, and constantly tried to one-up eachother.

Of course Order was stronger, after the initial confusion it managed to remake the system, molding Matter and Energy to create the stars, planets and galaxies.

But Chaos was a crafty one, and it managed to corrupt Matter and Energy, thus creating Entropy and Decay.

Order didn’t like this; the beautiful system that it had created was being destroyed right before its eyes.

Chaos was happy, knowing that if it was patient, Order would eventually destroy itself trying to rebuild its precious system, but Order was on to Chaos, and the 2 fought eachother more than ever, the fighting escalating as time went on.

After eons of clashes the fighting broke out into an all out war, with Order, Matter, and Energy facing off against Chaos, Decay, and Entropy.

The titans clashed, trading blow for blow, neither one yielding to the other, Order’s superior strength an equal match for Chaos’ cunning and trickery.

After clashing with eachother, a small spark was seen, and all fighting stopped, Order and Chaos looked upon the origin of that spark; an insignificant planet orbiting an insignificant star in the middle of one of the billions of galaxies.

They looked upon the most peculiar thing, a single entity, a self-maintaining system that can recreate itself, this made Order smile

A single entity, a creature that can adapt and alter itself to any environment, this made Chaos cry with joy.

A single entity, a being that grows upon consuming that around it, this made Matter and Energy rejoice

A single entity, a being that will eventually cease to be, returning to nature, this made Decay and Entropy happy.

All 6 of them looked at eachother, all silently agreeing that they had no need to fight anymore, for together they had created something beautiful…

They had created Life
Dream-Weaver

Postby WhiteinBlack on Mon May 07, 2012 4:15 pm

Truely, it is question: What is sound? Is simply vibrations or an interpretation of vibration? How come these vibration inspire so fully with emotion and action? How is it even possible? What truely makes sound so significant?

The same could be ask of color. Is there even a definte answer?
WhiteinBlack

Postby deltron zero on Sun May 13, 2012 4:13 am

WhiteinBlack wrote:Truely, it is question: What is sound? Is simply vibrations or an interpretation of vibration? How come these vibration inspire so fully with emotion and action? How is it even possible? What truely makes sound so significant?

The same could be ask of color. Is there even a definte answer?

No, because it's all relative. What sounds beautiful to somebody sounds like wretched noise to another, the same goes with color. What causes it to inspire emotion and action is the filter of self. Because no two people experience anything the same, the way a sound or color makes you react is specific to you only. Which, in and of itself is something quite beautiful, is just a matter of "different cookie cutters make different cookies". The deal with sound on this one is that it's simply you brain's interpretation of some vibrations on a few bones in your ear. Those vibrations are turned into electrical impulses through a network of canals, fluids, and bones in your ear that they made me learn in Physiology, and your brain takes those impulses, adds those layers of order and patterns that we humans like so much, and then you conceive sound. Light works in a technical manner which, while not necessarily resembling that of how we interpret sound, is just as technical. I won't bore you with the details, but what really makes sounds and colors so "beautiful", is you. Or rather, the series of experiences and sensory input that has coalesced with your biological and physiological structure to create the entity that the synchronized neurons in your brain have come to recognize as "you". Don't you love science?

On a different note, Why am I?
deltron zero

Postby Avolendi on Sun May 13, 2012 6:21 pm

deltron zero wrote:On a different note, Why am I?

Going off the deep end are we? Guess I'll give you a push then ;)

On an existential level, one could argue 'simply to exist and reproduce'. On the level of a society or humanity itself, 'to progress and evolve as a whole'. Perhaps towards a higher order of living, or perhaps to find something we can't even grasp yet. Though that's where the speculation ends and worse than flip-of-a-coin guessing takes over.

In regards to one's personal life, I would say it is to find happiness in the deepest sense of the word. Meaning not to strive to feel good for a moment, but to find things in life that make you happy in a more fundemental manner. I think it could be linked back to improving yourself and becoming better at what you like.
It could be things of greatness and grandure, creating great art, discovering new techologies or designing new buildings, but it could also be things that only matter to you personally and which the world will never see or hear of. Though it's hard to describe properly, I think this kind of happiness could very well be 'the meaning of life'. And even if I'm wrong, I think it's a good thing to strive for.
Beside this feels like it makes the most sense, I think it also matches up very well with the apparent tendancy to evolve and improve as a species.
Avolendi

Postby deltron zero on Tue May 15, 2012 1:06 am

Hm, that's not exactly what I was asking, although that's a rather cool way to look at life. But rather, why am I? What makes me be me? What is behind my consciousness? Is it specific to me? What exactly is specific to me? Could I be someone else were a few neurons be switched around? What makes me realize that I am an individual entity with no relation to others aside from inhabiting the same physical existence?
deltron zero

---------

PreviousNext

Return to 'Other' - miscellaneous discussion