Nightmare Spawn Pool

Every human has their own unique persona in the DreamWorld - and, frequently, online! Come mingle with the colorful cast, and introduce your own character to the mix.

Nightmare Spawn Pool

Postby SuperVaderMan on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:07 am

NOTE: The information in this page is outdated, as I have been mistaken on a few things about Nightmares. See this page for some updated info on Nightmares. I will update this page with the relevant information sometime in the future.

So I got the idea to create this thread after browsing through Dave's Deviantart thing and seeing his for the fist time. And after seeing the variety of monsters on this one page, I started thinking up a Nightmare of my own. And well, there's a couple of threads to post Dreamkeeper ideas, why not one for posting ideas for things those Dreamkeepers can fight? :twisted:

Sinister, creepy, gruesome, monstrous, gargantuan, abominable, there's not much of a limit on what you can create here. Within reason, of course, I doubt the Nightmares would have remained in hiding for so long if they had monsters stowed away that might use the Sabbaton tower to pick their teeth, or monsters that could decimate entire populations by breaking wind.

Before you start, however, it might help to have some information regarding how Nightmares are actually physically created in the Dreamworld...

Nightmares - The "Power Limit"

As you may or may not know, there is in place a "Power Limit" on Nightmares as a whole. There can only be so many Nightmares existing at one time. What this means is that, when you take every existing Nightmare and add together their "power levels" (keep your DBZ references to yourselves, please), their total ***ulative "power level" can only go up to a certain point, i.e. the "Power Limit." Once this limit is reached, no new Nightmares can be created. At that point, in order for a new Nightmare to be created, an already existing one must die.

So what do I mean by "power level"? What I mean is that some Nightmares take up more of the "Power Limit" than other Nightmares do. Not all Nightmares are created equal; the power level of some Nightmares is greater than that of others. Theoretically, if every Nightmare were to drop dead then a single, ungodly powerful Nightmare could be born. Or, millions, perhaps billions of cannon-fodder-level Nightmares could swarm into existance. To provide an example, Nabonidus is MUCH more powerful than Scuttles. Therefore, Nabonidus takes up much more of the Power Limit than Scuttles does.

Now, keep in mind that Nightmares don't get to choose what their power level is when they are created. The Nightmare creation process is a chaotic one, one in which the Nightmare in question randomly acquires an unspecified amount of the remaining Power Limit. So say a particularly powerful Nightmare were to die. Another Nightmare of that power COULD be created... or perhaps 2 or 3, comparably less powerful Nightmares could be created.

Why is it important to keep this in mind? It's to set the bar.

As far as we know, Nabonidus and Void are the most powerful Nightmares in existence. Even then, Void is a special case that somehow bypassed the Power Limit in order to be created.

David: "The summoning of Void should have been impossible, under normal circumstances. However, story-related stuff allowed for a special situation to occur."

So keep in mind that you can't create the most powerful Nightmare ever.

How Nightmare power levels take form

So once a Nightmare has received its share of the Power Limit, what happens then?

Then a Nightmare gets to choose how it wants it's power distributed. That's right, the Nightmare gets to actually choose what it wants to look like, how large it will be, how physically strong it will be, whether it will have any supernatural abilities, and so on. If you've ever played Spore, I'd imagine it's something like that, except the limit on how much you can do is different for every Nightmare.

Let's take Smiley from Volume 2, for example. He decided he would go for mostly strength, even going so far as to trade in his ability for higher thought processes. The result is a relatively stupid, though very powerful brute of a Nightmare. Now let's take Nabonidus again. We look at him and we see a relatively small and not very physically intimidating Nightmare. He seems to have spent most of the power given to him on intelligence and numerous supernatural abilities, abilities like teleportation and caustic force-fields (and that's just scratching the surface, dude is REALLY powerful).

It's important to keep this in mind, too. Basically, you can't have your Nightmare be the best at everything. If he has the ability to cast fire, channel lightning, and breath ice, he's probably not going to be very bright or strong or anything like that. Everything needs to balance out, given your Nightmare's amount of power.

Alright, let's begin, shall we? I'll start with my own Nightmare

I'll be using a general outline of my own creation, given what we know about Nightmares, so go ahead and feel free to use it. If a part of the outline doesn't apply to your Nightmare, just write "N/A" or "None" after it.

I'll also be using a scale for the assigned power-levels, one that'll range from Very Low to Very High. "Very Low" Nightmares are basically your cannon fodder, little more than stupid, grotesque animals that can be easily dispatched by the average Dreamkeeper. "Very High" Nightmares would be your Nabonidus and Void level guys. Protip: don't make one of these, it's inconceivable. This isn't exactly a strict scale or anything, it's just to maybe help you gauge how powerful your Nightmare is.

As an added note, the nature of these Nightmares abilities may go against the rule about posting extremely violent material. As such, if you feel something about your Nightmare's description goes against this rule, please post a warning telling people ahead of time.

Without further ado, my Nightmare

Name: Wheezey

Power Level: Very Low to Low

Physical Description: To put it simply, Wheezey looks as though someone left a life-sized wax figure of a person out in the sun for a few hours.

He (or rather, "it") has a vaguely humanoid shape, though all of his features give off the appearance of being half-melted: long, sagging arms, somewhat short, trunk-like legs with pools of skin-like flesh for feet, and a simple blob for a head. His mostly smooth, naked form holds but one feature. A face, whose expression almost always has a look of anguish upon it with its long, empty eye sockets (he has no eyes to speak of), and a large, always gaping mouth.

Wheezey would tower over all but the largest of Dreamkeepers, measuring in at 11 feet tall.

His flesh is skin-like in texture, color, consistency. His skin is rather pale (think of a pale Caucasian) a color that's constant throughout its body, inside and out. Indeed this flesh accounts for 100% of his body mass, for he has no bones, internal organs, or even any bodily fluids. The only fluids to be found in Wheezey are those of its victims...

Methods of Attack: Wheezey is deceptively strong, though he only knows enough to use his strength for pulling victims' faces towards his mouth for which to feed. Wheezey latches onto his victim's face with the folds of skin around his "mouth," and... well...

WARNING, EXTREMELY VIOLENT IMAGERY BELOW

Wheezey then sucks on his victim's face with incredible force. So great is this vacuum that the victim's internal organs are pulled up out of his or her mouth, dropping into Wheezey's belly (by belly, I mean an empty holding pocket in his torso). The process is relatively quick; Wheezey can evacuate a body of all of its innards in a matter of minutes.

The term "feed" isn't entirely accurate in describing this act, as Wheezey gains no sustenance from the entrails he draws in. He does not digest these entrails, the gore merely sits in his chest cavity until it eventually rots away completely. The only time this flesh is used is if he lost a limb or otherwise lost a portion of his body mass. If he has "fed" in recent weeks/months, then he is often seen having flies buzzing in and out of his open mouth, unharmed.

As if by some morbid prank, Wheezey leaves his victims with a look of anguish similar to his own: empty eye sockets and a twisted, gaping mouth.

END OF VIOLENT IMAGERY

Once this Wheezey latches on, the victim has almost no hope for survival. The intense vacuum between the his mouth and the afflicted's face prevents any attempt to pry the Nightmare off. Thus far, not a single person who was unfortunate enough to meet this fate has lived to tell of it.

Other Abilities: He heals fairly quickly. Typically, lacerations will heal within a few minutes. Heavier damage like burns might take a few hours to a few days to completely heal. On a few occasions, other Nightmares have cut off a hand or an arm and reattached it elsewhere, only to have the limb slowly melt into his body over a period of days or weeks and re-form itself on the former stump.

He has a power similar to the Mokoi in that, once he perceives a Dreamkeeper, he will know where that Dreamkeeper is at all times. Unfortunately, he is incapable of relaying this information to other Nightmares, and will simply plod forth, ever so slowly towards his target until he kills it.

Bio: Wheezey is was one of the unfortunate ones, only granted a small amount of power to work with while creating himself. He made the most of it, however, and decided to forgo making himself a self-governing individual to maximize his effectiveness as a tool for others to use.

Since he couldn't give himself one, his name was given to him by the other Nightmares. His name is due to the fact that he is often heard making deep, cavernous breathing noises, despite having no need to actually breath. Ol' Wheezey, as they affectionately call him.

Wheezey is a slow, lumbering creature. He wanders aimlessly around Bralgu, never thinking, seeing, feeling, hearing, or perceiving the world in any conceivable manner whatsoever. Even more so than most Nightmares, his entire existence is in opposition to the Dreamkeepers, as he will only break from this stupor when he perceives one.

Usually other Nightmares just leave him be. Though, on some rare occasions that the Nightmares capture a lone Dreamkeeper wandering through their territory, they will sometimes bring Wheezey and this Dreamkeeper together into the local arena. There, the Dreamkeeper has its limbs chained in some fashion, either to each other or to weights, and he has to keep away from Wheezey for as long as possible. It's a source of entertainment for the Nightmares to watch as the helpless Dreamkeeper tries to run for his/her life around a ring as Ol' Wheezey slowly tries to catch up...

He lacks any intelligence whatsoever; he will blindly walk through traps and hazards in pursuit of his prey. In fact, he is so unintelligent that he is actually incapable of distinguishing between regular Dreamkeepers and his Dark Dreamkeeper allies.

What he lacks in intelligence, though, he makes up for in persistence. Once he's locked onto a Dreamkeeper, he never stops hunting it. He never stops, never rests, and will literally pursue his quarry to the ends of the earth. Even should that person lock themselves into a contained area miles away from the monster, where no ordinary creature could possibly hope to find him or her, Wheezey will find that area and do whatever's in his power to get in. If he can't get in, he will simply wait... and wait... and wait... until either his prey comes out, expires, or until another, more easily accessible Dreamkeeper catches his attention.

Alright, finally got around to editing this page. Hopefully this will help you guys out a bit as you create your own Nightmares 8-)
Last edited by SuperVaderMan on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.
SuperVaderMan

Re: Nightmare Spawn Pool

Postby SuperVaderMan on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:46 am

It seems I was wrong in a few of my assumptions regarding Nightmares.

Turns out that they're more intelligent than I gave them credit for, as . Also, it looks like Nightmares have .

And regarding the Sandmen, who aren't unique individuals, well they're not exactly Nightmares. As it turns out, Scuttles's power is , which explains the origins of the Sandman.
Last edited by SuperVaderMan on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperVaderMan

Postby Calico Yorki on Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:51 pm

How convenient.

I have prepared a mostly for comical purposes Nightmare for just this occasion.

Name: Wekiga
~
~
Appearance:

A humanoid with dark crimson skin, a silver right eye with no left eye, a short, blunted muzzle, shoulder-length white hair, and narrow limbs with white talons on his hands and feet. His torso and lowers arms are draped in gray robings that are little more than rags and loose brown pants tied down at the shins with gray, dusty bandages that also wrap around feet. He has a long black tongue ended with a simple arrowhead.

Around his neck is a dark red cord; adorning it is a golden hoop a little less than a foot in diameter, with three dark orange spheres forming a triangle on the inside. Also, he has a golden ring around his left wrist with a dark red, eye-like gem with two 'horns' on either side, and he has a much larger golden ring mounted on his right hip containing an ankh and with a spiked pendulum on a half-foot-long chain hanging from the bottom. Finally, carries around a forearm-length rod with a red-orange sphere adorned with a golden, elliptical eye design on the front.
~
Personality:

In general, Wekiga is sarcastic, blunt, and jaded, with a strong tendency towards violence. However, this is largely when he's completely lucid - Millenia of extending his life with the Rings of Pride, Envy, and Wrath, as well as the Rod of Command have caused his mind to be slightly warped. He's extremely childish and, more often than not, is not nearly as fearsome as he once was. He retains his love of extreme violence in any state, however. Wekiga and Nabonidus are old acquaintances, and frequently take time to trade barbs with each other. However, Wekiga has become decidedly clingy to Nabonidus, which frequently grates on the higher-ranking Nightmare's nerves. A lot. Wekiga does that. A lot.
~
Abilities:

Wekiga possesses the ability to impart portions of his 'essence' with objects - Through this, he can survey anyone who carries said objects, and if the object has enough of Wekiga's essence and is carried close enough to the person for long enough, he can possess them temporarily. Also, by collecting three of seven powerful rings which were created via the simultaneous murder of countless Nightmares and dreamkeepers alike, Wekiga has increased his power further and given himself a semblance of immortality - Unfortunately, his mind has suffered for it. The same can be said of the Rod of Command, which he stole from Void. Void never came to get it back, because only he himself could control it completely, and truly had no greater need for it.

Ring of Pride - The ring around Wekiga's neck. Generates illusions and amplifies the power of Wekiga's presence, or alternatively, masks his presence completely. Also allows him to create slow-moving, vampiric monstrosities that are thankfully short-lived.

Ring of Envy - The ring on Wekiga's hip. Allows him to generate small fields that cause weakness and exhaustion in all those inside. The pendulum also points to teenage dreamkeepers who are emotionally compromised. ...Secretly, Wekiga is very lonely.

Ring of Wrath - Finally, the ring on Wekiga's wrist. Turns the slightest disagreement into a massive quarrel, and eventually into a lethal brawl. Also, can twist and distort another's reason and eventually rob them of logical thought. However, this takes an extremely long period of use.

Rod of Command - Firstly, has an aura that draws a dreamkeeper's view to the sphere's eye - Nightmares are unaffected. This leaves their mind under Wekiga's command, which only the extremely strong-willed or those who have an uncommonly strong bond with their loved ones can break. In addition, Wekiga must know and state the target's name - If he only knows them by a pseudonym, the Rod has no effect. Also, it doesn't work on those who cannot see, so Wekiga avoids Igrath Winters at all costs, because if he happens to meet that benevolent blind behemoth he's pretty much totally f###ed.

Unfortunately, the Rod was not left unguarded...It contains a psychopathic, bloodthirsty soul who even Wekiga shrinks from challenging for dominance. His name is Mekiv. Don't give him any hugs. Seriously, don't.

Wekiga: "But Nabonidus, we never just talk anymore! I feel we've grown so distant!"

Nabonidus: "That is because I hate every facet of your existence."

Wekiga: "...You used to compliment my hair..."

Nabonidus: "I remember a time when your intelligence rivaled mine...Now look at you. You're a disgrace to all Nightmares of such power."

Wekiga: *Starts crying and shaking*

Nabonidus: "How you survive among other Nightmares is truly a mystery to me."

Wekiga: *Starts bawling*

EDIT: More Nightmares for youse!!

Name: Triskelion
~
~
Appearance:

Has a heavy pewter carapace, with two huge pincers for arms, as well as a larger pincer of fixed position on the 'chest', holding a basketball-sized, bloodred, crystalline sphere. Walks on three spiny legs ended in barbs that secrete acid.
~
Personality:

Really, almost none to speak of. Bloodthirsty, sadistic, and incredibly short-tempered, with no concern for politics among Nightmares so long as he gets to kill dreamkeepers. Triskelion's other loves are gold and gems, which he will kill even other Nightmares for and hoard simply on the grounds that he can. Also tends to add "...Yes?" or "...You see?" to the ends of his sentences.
~
Abilities:

Is able to turn the ground to liquid and manipulate it, before turning it back to normal in any new shapes it has taken. This allows Triskelion to form deep pitfalls, defensive trenches, gluttonous pools, and explosive geysers.
Calico Yorki

Location: With the Purple, the People, the Plastic-Eating People

Postby BennyTheBear on Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:30 am

How very convenient.

I was lurking for quite a while here, planning out various details for my Nightmare character, and an official character thread for Nightmares has made going into this a little easier.

Is there a concrete profile template one should follow or do I just add stuff if it's relevant to the character?
BennyTheBear

Postby SuperVaderMan on Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:37 am

There's not a set template, really, I still haven't gotten around to making one based off the new info on Nightmares. So for now I'd say go with something similar to what the Dreamkeeper threads have, maybe add something different here and there if you feel it necessary

EDIT: Well now there IS a template, but feel free to add your own section or two if the sections I provided aren't adequate enough neatly encompass every aspect of your Nightmare
Last edited by SuperVaderMan on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperVaderMan

Postby Twilight on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:52 am

I was thinking about extending my "character creation guide" to encompass nightmare characters as well. I was under the assumption that no one made them. A few minutes ago, Sorrel revealed to me the existence of this thread.

Vader, you win further points for this XD It's too bad it's so quiet. Hopefully people looking at the guide for information will hear of this through my extensions 8D
Twilight

Postby SuperVaderMan on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:47 am

And now the original post has been edited!

Have at guys. And you too, Twi, for your Nightmare section ;)
SuperVaderMan

Postby BennyTheBear on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:47 am

Great, more info. I guess power levels can be somewhat helpful in determining strength, though there are always variables... For example, Tendril was clearly very strong, since with even with 3 Dreamkeepers against him, he was able to hold his own and only lost due to circumstance (cave-in), but can it be safely assumed that the average Nightmare is stronger than the average Dreamkeeper?

And if we have a scale ranging from "very low" to "very high", up to which point would a Dreamkeeper be able to hold his own against a Nightmare in a straight fight, before having to party up? (although a 1-on-1 fight against a spook isn't wise, no matter who you are).

Anyway, I finished writing the profile for my character, but want to draw a pic first, so it'll have to wait. There doesn't seem to be much activity at the moment anyway, so I can bide my time.
BennyTheBear

Postby SuperVaderMan on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:56 pm

I'd say that the "Medium" area would be around the point that a Nightmare would be comparable to a Dreamkeeper. That is to say, a Nightmare with a "Medium" level of power would be able to distribute his power so that he has the mental faculties, physical strength, and a single supernatural power, so that they'd be on par with the average Dreamkeeper.

Keep in mind though that the scale is to determine "Power level" and not "How many Dreamkeepers can it take on at once." Take Smiley, for example. He could probably take on 2 or maybe 3 DKs at once depending on the situation, though I'd classify him in the "Medium-Low to Medium" area, since Smiley decided to go for pure strength, little intelligence, and no supernatural abilities. Personally, I'd classify Tendril in the "Medium-High to High" category.

But yeah, I'd say "Medium" is a good benchmark for a DK-level Nightmare, just keep in mind Nightmares are fairly flexible in terms of how they can distribute their allotted power. AND keep in mind that my scaling system isn't exactly perfect or strict :lol:
SuperVaderMan

Postby Hazzardous on Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:20 am

I'm not about to let Vader have all the fun! Have at you sir! Oh, and I tried to work Wheezy into this one alittle bit:

Name: The Mawler

Power Level: Low

Physical Description: If one were to sum the Mawler up, it would look like the Smiley nightmare, only half its size and with the shell removed.

The Mawler is a four-legged Nightmare that puts more emphasis on surprise than power. Although only half the size of the Smiley, it is still a strong nightmare to contend with. With its digitgrade legs and specialized claws, it not only has the ability to pounce, but to also burrow into the ground to make surprise attacks on unaware travels and prey. The Mawlers skin is very translucent, allowing one to see the veins underneath it, as well as the pumping of its essence through the veins. However, it is very easy to bruise and easy to cleave.

It also has six branch-like protrusions on its back that can be raised or lower, depending on the situation. But the most notable feature of the Mawler is its head and neck. At first glance, it resembles the Smiley’s, but where Smiley only has eyes, Mawler only has a mouth. The mouth itself is lined with sharp teeth, with breath that is quite rancid. Saliva also drools from the sides of its mouth and cover the teeth as well. The sounds a Mawler makes are most ...

Methods of Attack: The Mawler deploys a clever method of attack against either Dream Keeper or Dreamworld prey. Once it has found a suitable area to hunt, the Mawler will dig a shallow burrow in the ground, just enough to hide itself in. Once within the earth, the branch-like protrusions jut out of the ground and lay themselves out along the ground, resembling harmless roots. These ‘branches’ act as sensors to allow the Mawler to detect prey that comes in contact with them. The sensors are pressure sensitive, and will only trigger when the correct amount of pressure is sensed. Once a suitable prey is within the correct limits, the Mawler explodes out from under the earth, often catching the prey by surprise. Should the person or prey not act fast enough, they will soon find themselves in agony before being eaten…

You see, the Mawler, upon catching its prey, doesn’t consume it on the spot. Once the prey is caught in its mouth, it will then raise its head and neck, and slam the prey onto the ground or against a tree or rock to tenderize the flesh. This process can be repeated numerous times until the Mawler is ready to consume. Most of the time, the prey will be dead before they are eaten, but should the prey still be alive after such a beating, they will only look forward to the slow consumption within the gapping maw of the Mawler…

But one could take solice in the notion that the sensors are only pressure sensitive and cannot determine friend or foe. Should an ignorant nightmare of the correct size step on the sensors, the Mawler will subject them to the same fate as any other prey…

Other Abilities: Because it lacks eyes, ears, and a nose, a Mawler can not only sense the world through its branched sensors, but also its mouth. Mawlers can taste the air with their tongues to detect disturbances in the air and alert to potential prey.

Bio: Choosing agility and surprise over their more brute force cousins, the Smiley’s, the Mawlers make the perfect guard dogs. Since it lacked cognitive thinking, the other nightmares decided to name them Mawlers, which are a combination of the two words; Maw and Mauler. Maw for its gaping mouth and Mauler for its ability to slam prey into objects.

Because of their ambush trap abilities, Mawlers are often found hiding on the outskirts of Auduruna’s borders, such as the Diony Desert, Dune Sea, the Cliffs of Ekklesia, or the Eridu Delta, where amble prey and Keeper can be found. But rarely are Auduruna’s consumed; it is often the bandits that are eaten. Dark Dreamkeepers have also been known to use Mawlers to guard underground locations or secret rooms, ready to snatch up the curious or the thieves.

Mawlers are also used in Bralgu to guard hidden areas as well. But sometimes, they are also used in arenas. For the unlucky Keeper who is captured by the Nightmares, Mawlers are placed in the arena beforehand without the Keeper knowing. The nightmares will then bring in another nightmare, known as Wheezy, to chase the Keeper around the arena and hopefully into one of the Mawlers. Because Wheezy is a large nightmare, it is too big for Mawlers to consume and thus, will not make the Mawlers attack should it step on the branched sensors. But due to its slow speed, the Mawlers are often the ones that get the prize before it does…

While lacking self-thinking and a low power level, Mawlers are formidable nightmares to content with. But due to its easily bruised and cleavable skin, prey and Keepers that reacts fast enough can sometimes stand a chance against the Mawlers and take them down. And while it is an annoyance that Mawlers can also kill other Nightmares, for the Nightmares with thought-processes, it is an acceptable sacrifice in order to utilize the ambush prowess of the Mawlers and ensure the secrets of Bralgu are never discovered by outsiders…
Hazzardous

---------

Next

Return to Character cafe'