My New Project

Wanna chat about something that *gasp* isn't in one of the all-encompassing categories? Come on in!

My New Project

Postby Oseirus on Sat May 26, 2012 2:45 am

So, broke down and bought myself a motorcycle. A 2003 Honda CBR 600F4i, $3000, 9700 miles. Not a bad deal.

Only problem? It's a little worse for the wear right now. The body's been torn to hell after the previous owner decided to high-side the thing across 30 feet of gravel. Thankfully, the frame is unscathed, but the left side fairings and (to a much lesser extent) the headlight fairing are pretty much destroyed.

BUT! This gives me a REALLY good excuse to give it some lovin'. In addition to replacing the damaged fairings and other miscellaneous parts, I'm going to give the whole thing a new makeover inspired by my current career field.

Simply, I'm going to theme it after this thing:

For those that don't know, I'm a mechanic (Crew Chief) on the above KC-10 Extender for the US Air Force. Not the most glorious job, but I love what I do. Even if everyone I work with is cynical enough to make an emo kid look chipper.

Gonna take a little time and money, but the end result should look pretty sweet. I'll post up progress pictures here so you can follow along at home.

The Big To-Do (TM) List:
  • Replace Damaged Fairings (ON ORDER)
  • Install New Painted Fairings
  • Paint Gas Tank
  • Purchase and add decals, other "visual touches" (Arrived, Awaiting New Fairings)
  • Add Tank Protector (Arrived, Awaiting Gas Tank Paint)
  • Add a real license plate bracket (DONE!)
  • Replace Alternator cover (also damaged in the crash)
  • Show off to women at parties

(For you purists, I unfortunately don't have the time or the equipment to paint the new fairings myself, but everything else, from part replacement to decals, I'll be doing myself)

EDIT (1 June 2012): Whelp, the majority of the parts are currently on order. Total cost came to a little over $800, but thankfully the only other purchase I need to make is having the gas tank and a couple other minor parts painted. But that's later. For now I'm going to focus on what I have, it's going to be time consuming enough.

For those curious, I've with how the new fairings are going to get painted. Should be about two weeks until they arrive, in the mean time I'm kinda half stuck for progress. Gonna suck, cause everything else is supposed to arrive before the end of next week, so I'll have all this stuff sitting around and nothing to do with it. Oh well. Patience...

EDIT (10 June 2012): Stuff! It's happened! Some new pictures for you today. Nearly everything has arrived in the mail, the last piece I'm waiting on before I can start replacing all the body panels is... well, the new body panels. I have pretty much everything else I need though.

The first official "fix" that's done is replacing the terrible, ugly wire license plate mount with a proper one. Went as low-profile as California road laws would allow. Had to drill new holes to make it work, but I'm happy with the result.

Not bad for using only a pocket knife and no measuring tools.

I also got bored and decided to do a quick mock-up for the decal locations. Just made me all the more excited to finish this up.

You can also see the damages on the left side that prompted me to start with the customization sooner than later. I mean, seriously, who wants to ride around a motorcycle that looks like it used to belong to Freddy Kreuger?

There have also been a ton of little fixes here and there, such as missing screws or combating faulty wiring, but I'll spare you all the droll details. Needless to say though, I think it's coming along quite nicely. All I need is those body panels...
Last edited by Oseirus on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oseirus

Re: My New Project

Postby Rubaha Paren on Sat May 26, 2012 3:50 am

Looks like hot baby. Good luck with repairings!
Rubaha Paren

Postby Avolendi on Sat May 26, 2012 5:42 pm

Good luck! Curious to see how it'll go.

Just wondering though, you bought it and thén the previous owner damaged it? Or was that something that happened before you bought it and why it was a good deal?
Avolendi

Postby Oseirus on Wed May 30, 2012 6:46 pm

Naw, it was damaged shortly before I handed over the check. Which kinda sucks, cause when I originally told the guy I was interested, it was in great shape, no damage what so ever. But before I could get home from deployment to actually go through with the sale, it got damaged. Worked out in the end though, cause he knocked off $500 from what I was originally going to pay for the thing. Which has been a godsend, cause that money has all been put towards the repairs and customization.
Oseirus

Postby Oseirus on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:19 pm

Updated the original post. Not much to mention, but got most everything on order now. Details above.
Oseirus

Postby deltron zero on Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:39 am

Hey, nice project bro! My brother was a crew chief in the Marines, only he worked on Helicopters. I wish you good luck on your project, and thank you for your service to our country! :mrgreen:
deltron zero

Postby Oseirus on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:20 pm

New pictures for you all. Be jealous. :)
Oseirus

Postby DanWithTheHat on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Those decals are gonna look slick with the grey/black paint scheme. I really like the WWII style bomber art on the body. Its a nice touch. :D

I hope it all goes well!
(BTW I am very jealous :) )
DanWithTheHat

Postby Oseirus on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:49 am

Thanks! At this point I'm literally only waiting on the fairings to ship. Kinda mad, cause they were only supposed to take a week, but now it's getting close to two and I have yet to receive pictures or a shipping confirmation or anything... Not like the paint was particularly difficult. Just grey and black.

If I don't hear from 'em by Thursday (the two-week mark) I'll send an email to try and get some answers. I want to be done with all this, but I can't move forward until I have the new body panels.

On the bright side I found a shop that can do the paint for my gas tank and the undertail fairing. Claims it would be an overnight job, and can do both pieces for about $200, although I might still shop around a little more.
Oseirus

Postby Hazzardous on Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:36 am

Your ride is looking b*tchin -_^
Hazzardous

---------

Next

Return to 'Other' - miscellaneous discussion