My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Just see a terrible, awful film? Warn us! Want to promote something quality in the mainstream? Here is the place to discuss music, movies, TV, comics, books - the good, the bad, the abominable. Review away!

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Postby Twilight on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:22 pm

Aw, don't sweat it, Dream. It wouldn't be the first time MLP misses the mark on what it's trying to say, lol. It's happened several times before.
Twilight

Postby WhiteinBlack on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:53 pm

OH DEAR GOODNESS! This makes total and scary sense! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Whoever made told this logic is both genius and a creeper. XD
WhiteinBlack

Postby Dream-Weaver on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:06 am

So apparently people have gotten "offended" by Derpy...

It seems that many people think that Derpy was depicted as "retarded" and have gotten an uproar about it...

Nearly everyone who is "offended" by this doesn't have any form of mental disability...

Dammit! My faith in humanity was JUST about restored completely because of this fandom, and in one fell swoop it was shattered again

People are complaining and trying to get them to censor Derpy (Either by removeing her or "fixing" her eyes and simply making her a regular background pony)...

I'm not even upset at these people, really I'm just disappointed
Dream-Weaver

Postby WhiteinBlack on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:32 pm

WHAT?!?! SCREW THEM! The whole reason Derpy is Derpy/Ditzy is because of that. :x :evil: :evil: :evil:

You're right, Dream. Faith in humanity is a false hope. Ugh.... ONe shouldn't say anything if they don't know ANYTHING! Unless they're taking care of someone like such then that's understandable. Those people complaining better not be bronies otherwise, they are hypocritic (CAN'T SPELL IT).
WhiteinBlack

Postby Dream-Weaver on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:28 pm

When I read the episode description and it said "Rainbow Dash and the joys of reading"

Words cannot describe this episode
Dream-Weaver

Postby Twilight on Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:08 pm

I don't think your faith in humanity should hinge on something like my little pony XD I mean, really guys? XD

People seem to be failing to acknowledge why this whole thing happened in the first place.

When Derpy wasn't a character but a random, silly background pony, it was great 'cuz the fandom characterized her on its own. When Hasbro did that sell out thing where they actually changed her name to that and went through the process of turning her into a character they didn't do their research and instead of trying to make her what the fandom had created (ie. that fan voice you linked to, Dream), they took a different approach that honestly did make her seem kinda retarded. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but that just wasn't the image the fandom had created for her. Thus, people would naturally get offended by it for whatever reason, not even necessarily about the fact that she's retarded.

One of the bigger issues that people have failed to understand is that his incident, regardless of how it turns out will massacre MLP. Why? Because both sides of this brony argument are derpy (do ho ho, puns).

On one side you have people arguing FOR Derpy being retarded, and on the other you have people against. Because everyone is angry and subsequently dumb because of it. Hasbro has been given an ultimatum. Which side of the fandom do they side with?

In the end, they'll have to take one side, and whichever side is favored is going to make the other SO DAMN MAD that a massive chunk of viewers will vanish and the show will take a hit it might not recover from.

What sucks is that at this point, it's not even an argument of it being right or not at this point, it's an argument about who wins and loses. Take that video you linked to for example, It's an ok argument, at first, but then she goes and starts villifying even well-intentioned people in the examples she brings up. Her thing about "retards" being able to stand up for themselves is cool and all, but she'd probably be just as upset if nobody were complaining about Derpy's poorly-written dialogue and stereotyped voice. So from her perspective, if you're angry about Derpy's portrayal, then you're a super-politically-correct *** who needs a kick in the teeth. But the implied alternative is that if you're perfectly fine with Derpy the way she is in the episode, you're still an ***, just an insensitive one instead.

Then again she probably wouldn't be half so angry if people weren't overreacting so much and spurring an equal-and-opposite reaction. The entire issue boils down to the pitfalls of a franchise whoring itself out to appease the fan base. You're pretty much bound to piss someone off for not catering to their vision when you elevate someone else's to canon status.
Twilight

Postby Dream-Weaver on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:55 pm

@Twi: It's like you said, the problem is the over-reaction, and I'll admit that the voice was probably part of it (However, the person voicing her messed up and though Derpy was male, which is why her voice is as it is). But the reason it's so bad is because this is more or less what the fandom wanted, canon Derpy is combatible with most interpretations of Fanon Derpy.

Like I said, her voice is most likely a big factor, but the fact that so many people complained about it is a grave over-reaction, and that over-reaction actually got Hasbro to consider changing the character that we ourselves wanted.

I'm perfectly aware that both sides are over-reacting, and Hasbro is probably using this whole thing for publicity, and Derpy might not of actually been censored if we left it alone, but we didn't want to take that chance, Derpy is popular enough that we're willing to go to arms over it.

It's human nature to take things to the extreme, you yourself sometimes come across as someone who takes moderation too far...

You can't really think about it like that, nearly every disagreement in history boils down to boths sides being stupid, and if everyone thought like that, then nothing would ever be settled.

Do every thing in moderation, including moderation...

Are you getting any of this?
Dream-Weaver

Postby Twilight on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:27 am

I'm not sure Hasbro could... or should use that as publicity. Controversy isn't really helpful when you're dealing with something like a children's show... In fact, instigating something that puts your fandom at odds with itself sounds like shooting yourself in the foot.

And I know I get firey sometimes XD I've been trying to tone it down. I'm just a bit of a sadist that way, but I'm getting better. promise 8D I wasn't even trying to make people mad in that last post, I was posting an observation about the situation at hand. I may not be MLP's biggest fan, but that doesn't mean I want to see it go up in flames, and this particular scenario looks like just that.

Uhm.. question though, what exactly does "taking moderation too far" mean? I'm a little lost on that.
Twilight

Postby Dream-Weaver on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:53 am

It's like when someone always takes the middle road between 2 extremes, without stopping to see if the middle ground is the best choice. It ussually is, but not always
Dream-Weaver

Postby Dream-Weaver on Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:01 pm

It's just... so beautiful
Dream-Weaver

---------

PreviousNext

Return to Culture clash