My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Just see a terrible, awful film? Warn us! Want to promote something quality in the mainstream? Here is the place to discuss music, movies, TV, comics, books - the good, the bad, the abominable. Review away!

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Postby Twilight on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:39 pm

I don't know why I'm responding... all the signs say "no, Twi! Don't do it!" and yet... this Derpy business...

I know that it's a different franchise, and a different creative team, and just a different entity altogether, but the inherent disappointment in, not only giving her a voice, but characterizing her as well is exactly the kind of fan-servicing that mauled the Sonic the Hedgehog and other franchises, and I bring this up because it looks to me like a pattern that's been present in this second season of the show. In several instances have I heard of the disappointment people have experienced with it, starting with the very first arc of the season, with the villain being the crappiest doofus with the most retarded defeat ever, to something about Luna being a silly *** character to... this.

There seems to be an admittedly different approach at crafting this season than they used the first time around, and it seems to be upsetting people. At this point, probably not enough for it to be considered, but if it follows the same pattern as other franchises that have taken that approach have, historically, they kinda need to start thinking about what they're trying to do with that show.

I may not think the show is the greatest thing ever, but I can acknowledge that at least it worked well for what it was. Right now, I'm not sure. What could've been a consistent influx of a decent show, lately seems to be a resounding lack of ideas that almost sound like the people writing don't understand what it was that made the first season so popular.

From my perspective, the MLP fad that should have faded out over a much longer period of time, could actually go out a lot faster than anticipated because of things like this.

It's like if Mass Effect revealed what Tali actually looks like, or looking at the Beast when he finally becomes human at the end of the movie. It's not really something that sits well with your audience on principle.

P.S. Yes, the beast could've been designed better as a human, but the point is the same XD
Twilight

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:09 pm

No Twi! Don't do it!
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby WhiteinBlack on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Dream-Weaver wrote:Though a lot of fanon interpretations of Derpy still work, especially Autistic Derpy, that ones my favorite.

And what's wrong with being autustic? While some cases are bad enoug to limit proper social interaction, I don't ever see it being that bad. I have yet to see fanon interpretations of Autistic Derpy, but so far, it doesn't match. It must be different handicap their because that's just offensive to believe autistics are like that. I'm autistic, high level. The other guy I know is low level (lower control of himself) and he does not act like.

I know it sounds like I'm angry, but I'm not. I just feel offended and disappointed.
WhiteinBlack

Postby Dream-Weaver on Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:09 pm

WhiteinBlack wrote:
Dream-Weaver wrote:Though a lot of fanon interpretations of Derpy still work, especially Autistic Derpy, that ones my favorite.

And what's wrong with being autustic? While some cases are bad enoug to limit proper social interaction, I don't ever see it being that bad. I have yet to see fanon interpretations of Autistic Derpy, but so far, it doesn't match. It must be different handicap their because that's just offensive to believe autistics are like that. I'm autistic, high level. The other guy I know is low level (lower control of himself) and he does not act like.

I know it sounds like I'm angry, but I'm not. I just feel offended and disappointed.

I never said there was anything wrong with being autistic. There are several different kinds of autism, and it's different for different people, assuming that all autistic people act like that is offensive, yes, but it still works in a broad sense.

I'm autistic too, that's why it's my favorite interpretation...

Think about it, Derpy has some form of autism, she also has that thing with her eyes, so clearly she has trouble with depth perception, and Imagine flying requires pretty good eyesight and reflexes, she also has a delivery job, which requires a some form of navigation, and she doesn't crash into things (The town hall doesn't count, she was flying backwards).

I see an autistic Derpy as inspiring, because it reminds me that even though I have autism, I can still be just as good as everyoen else...
Dream-Weaver

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:13 pm

I'm loathe to post this... but I saw it on Dakka (a wargaming site) and felt it was my duty as both a gamer and an instigator to post this... so here you go.

The MLP Space Marine Army...

Emperor Forgive Me.
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby WhiteinBlack on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:56 pm

Dream-Weaver wrote:
WhiteinBlack wrote:

I never said there was anything wrong with being autistic. There are several different kinds of autism, and it's different for different people, assuming that all autistic people act like that is offensive, yes, but it still works in a broad sense.

I'm autistic too, that's why it's my favorite interpretation...

Think about it, Derpy has some form of autism, she also has that thing with her eyes, so clearly she has trouble with depth perception, and Imagine flying requires pretty good eyesight and reflexes, she also has a delivery job, which requires a some form of navigation, and she doesn't crash into things (The town hall doesn't count, she was flying backwards).

I guess I just overreacted. Another problem, you're probably aware of, is the difficulty to see another's point of view. I mix up the real posssible point of view of the world, people, individual, etc. with my own assumptions. You do make a point, however. It does work in a broad sense.

I see an autistic Derpy as inspiring, because it reminds me that even though I have autism, I can still be just as good as everyoen else...
This is what I like. Being autistic feels like missing an arm almost. Everything seems a little harder than it should be because our social handicap. Makes learning challenge. In short, I feel like I'm a step behind the crowd. However,what you said is how I try to view and, so far, it remains true. Working harder to get to it makes it all the more swetter.

Oh, by the way, someone tried to hack into fimfiction.net. It's going to be down for a while.
WhiteinBlack

Postby Dream-Weaver on Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:55 am

@WhiteinBlack: Nah it's cool, I understand, your not the first to mistake my meaning of things, and you certainly won't be the last...
Dream-Weaver

Postby Dream-Weaver on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:54 am

I enjoyed todays episode, every bit of it, except for one thing...

The lesson makes no sense!

I have no problem with the whole "Quality and hardwork over quantity and speed" cliche, but I feel that the lesson was completely missed.

The Flim-Flam bros. only used quality ingredients in their cider, so they had both quality AND quantity, the only reason it turned out so terrible was because they ignored quality control at the end, and they only did that because they were desperate, under no other circumstance would they have done that.

And they naturally had a larger output than the Apple's, and the Apple's sis everything manually, so even when they managed to outpace the Flim-Flam bros. output they could only keep it up for so long, if the contest was longer, let's say a day, they would have burned out pretty quickly.

It's like that story about the train raceing the horse, the train was faster, but the horse won because the train took a while to actually start moving, over a long distance the train would have won.

So the whole "Hard work is it's own reward" is completely off here, I'm not saying it's not a valid lesson to teach children, but it was completely missed, a lot like the ever-so-popular "slow and steady wins the race" aesop, I've read that story, and the only reason the tortoise won was because the hare took a nap, the real moral of that story was "Don't get cocky"

So really Flim-Flam bros. had the right idea with mass production, they only failed because they were set up by the writers to fail

I give them an "A" for effort, but they completely missed the point they were going for

P.S

Also:

Dream-Weaver

Postby Dream-Weaver on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:21 pm

Because it had to be done
Dream-Weaver

Postby WhiteinBlack on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:36 am

Dream-Weaver wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq2rbGkHIAM&feature=related

Because it had to be done

Oh dear, goodness... What have you advertised!?! :P