Movie Theaters

Help Dreamkeepers grow! Share your promotional ideas, or collaborate with other readers.

Movie Theaters

Postby Drezlun on Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:07 pm

So I noticed that many smaller movie theaters will run advertising or short films before the actual show will begin. This might be a great application for the recently created animated commercial. I don't know how much it would cost, but I know I am going to approach the couple of theaters that do this in my hometown as soon as I can or at least when I get home for Christmas break.

What are all of your thoughts?
Drezlun

Re: Movie Theaters

Postby Suraru on Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:10 pm

i normally wouldnt say this because i am not like that, but for some reason i am going to say
no
Suraru

Postby Zagura on Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:17 pm

No idea, I'd think the cost to run something like that would be too expensive versus the amount of people who'd see it. But then what do i know? Go for it. XD
Zagura

Postby Reaver on Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:22 pm

I'm with Zagura. Though I, too have no idea how much that would cost. Do it, maybe something really good comes out of it.
Reaver

Postby Oseirus on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:14 pm

I like the idea, sadly it might be a little unrealistic. I know some theater companies offer advertising spots, but if the prices are anywhere close to what I think they would be, it would be expensive even for that short little clip. I'll look into prices once I get home tonight, but I'm not optimistic.
Oseirus

Postby Suraru on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:31 pm

well how much would 15 seconds costs,

i mean more then this one

but less then this one

Suraru

Postby deltron zero on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:54 am

Dude, you're being a little too ambitious. While spreading around the commercial is a good idea (when's it coming on T.V. by the way? Didn't he say it would be on Adult Swim?), taking it to the theater, even if local, will probably end in you getting laughed out of the managers office pretty quickly. Instead, go for more subtle ways of getting people to see it. LInk the video on posts in other forums you visit, post it on your wall on facebook, hell you can even just show it to your friends. But I don't think Dreamkeepers will be getting bigscreentime for a while.
deltron zero

Postby Oseirus on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:52 am

@Deltron: I wouldn't call it "too ambitious", more like "too early". I've seen short spots for graphic novels, new albums, and all sorts of stuff in the advertisements before movies. In fact, the guys who do are always trying to sell advertising spots. I tried looking up prices out of curiosity, but it seems like you have to contact an agent to get any kind of quote.

Maybe once I have a little more spare time I'll make a call. Though like I said before, I'm not too optimistic about the prices. However, as the Dreamkeepers fanbase grows, and the Lillies gain access to more and more resources, a trailer in theaters is a brilliant idea. With how many people go to high-profile movies (like, for example, the Avengers coming out in May 2012), that 15 second spot would be huge.

Just thought of something else. A lot of theaters have a static slide show with local advertisements before even the FirstLook stuff. Something in there would be much cheaper, and with how often those slideshows loop and subliminal memory printing and all that jazz, it would be a good stepping stone into the actual trailer. Only drawback is those slideshows are usually restricted to a local audience, so unless someone went into each individual theater and plugged the ad spot to the manager, it would be tricky to get any significant national exposure.
Oseirus

Postby Lord of the Forest on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:54 am

deltron zero wrote:Dude, you're being a little too ambitious. While spreading around the commercial is a good idea (when's it coming on T.V. by the way? Didn't he say it would be on Adult Swim?), taking it to the theater, even if local, will probably end in you getting laughed out of the managers office pretty quickly.

To be honest, the advertisement I have seen are horrendously bad in some cases at the theaters. They're nothing more than a slideshow of pictures for local stores sometimes. There are legit commercials with an actual budget, sure, but those come from big, big companies. The fact that there's an advertising spot is certainly something to consider.

And David meant the Adults Swim website, not the actual television. He's still working the deal though.
Lord of the Forest

Postby Twilight on Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Wow, I don't know why most people are being such downers about this.

Drezlun, I think that's a fantastic idea 8D I shall refrain from doing that while I'm in LA just because I'm afraid the junky asses from the big companies will start bugging David about making movies and stuff, and upon David's refusal they will rip the hell off everything he's working on and that's highly undesirable D8
Twilight

---------

Next

Return to DK Volunteer Army