Monomyth of Dreamkeepers

Have a take on the latest Prelude strip? Share it in here! Just notice an enticing story hint in one of the graphic novels? Speculate away! Share feedback, large and small about your DreamKeepers experience. But beware, this forum may contain story spoilers.

Monomyth of Dreamkeepers

Postby Clast on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:07 am

I was wondering. To anyone who understands the Monomyth (Also commonly called the Campbell Terms), how do these apply to the current two volumes of DK? Here are some of my guesses:

Call to Adventure: Paige's (sniff) Death.
Road of Trials: Pretty obvious, just everything that makes up the climb of Freytag's Pyramid.
Temptation: Lilith, assuming Mace is the main character of the five.
Ideal: Could be any of Paige, Namah, or Lilith, or some character yet to be introduced.
Helpers: Igrath, Scinter, to a lesser extent Grunn.
Mentors: Igrath? Vi, in prelude? This one's more difficult.

Any suggestions?
Clast

Re: Monomyth of Dreamkeepers

Postby Twilight on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:14 am

I think the Hero's Journey applies to a more classical type of story. In the case of Dreamkeepers, sure, there'll be overlapping similarities, but I don't think you could make the whole story fit inside a monomyth.... then again, this is based on me knowing what I know. I can see other people having a different view on it... actually, by all means, discuss! this sounds like it could be intriguing 8D
Twilight

Postby Clast on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:15 am

Yeah, I know. From what I remember it was created to describe stories more similar to Greek Mythology. I have been living and breathing Monomyth for the last six months in Literature classes, so my curiosity was sparked. The one aspect that I'm confused/mulling over is Temptation. For Mace, that could be either Lilith or Namah, depending upon your perspective of him and the others. The same goes for the Ideal. I would guess that while one of two is Temptation, the other is the Ideal. For this, however, we'll have to wait a long time to find out, as even at the point of Tendril's Demise, Mace still has a soft spot for Lilith.
Clast

Postby Koreth on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:12 pm

I don't doubt we'll see similarities to the Monomyth as the story unfolds, but we're only two volumes into the story right now, with the third on the way. If I recall correctly from a chat session with David there's gonna be some 30-40 volumes before the story has run its course (take that as scuttle****, I don't have my chat logs in front of me right now to verify). So, we're probably a bit early to be calling things.
Koreth

Postby Clast on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Wow, 30-40 Volumes? I would have been surprised with roughly twenty! These people are taking this to their grave! Such Dedication! :P

Anyway, I do agree with you. I just find the idea of the Monomyth interesting is all. Reading a multitude of Greek Literature and Myths inspired my brain to great (mediocre) leaps, jumps, and stumbles to describe every book I read. I tried it on the Dresden Files, and failed there, so I thought I'd give another favorite a go. In reality, a thread of this kind would become more important as time goes on, to describe how the numerous characters and items/powers fit into the story, and discussion thereof.
Clast

Postby CalvinCopyright on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:29 pm

30 to 40 volumes??!? I must be dreaming! That I could look at 3000 to 4000 pages of this awesome art? O_O (assuming 100 pages per volume, approx...)

THIS IS A TRUE THING THAT MUST HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CalvinCopyright

Postby DanWithTheHat on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:05 pm

As of yesterday, the most recent estimate is now 15-30 volumes. That's still a large amount of volumes though. 8D
Source: http://dreamkeepers.forums-free.com/the-unofficial-compendium-of-random-dreamkeepers-info-t743s130.html (It's in the latest chat log about 24 sections down.)

Edit: Oops I made a typo O.o
Last edited by DanWithTheHat on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanWithTheHat

Postby Avolendi on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:22 pm

Qoute: "Rough estimates go from maybe 15 to maybe 30."
Avolendi

Postby Clast on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:15 pm

I'm not sure whether this constitutes getting off topic, or thread necromancy.

But anyway, yeah, even fifteen volumes would be quite a feet. Remember the old Bone comic books, anyone? I believe they only had a total of nine (ten?) books that were released over a period of about twelve years. They were all roughly the same size, if not larger, than the individual Dreamkeepers Volumes. There is still quite a while to go until this story gets anywhere, not that anyone here would mind a long-running story.
Clast

Postby Twilight on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:48 pm

I don't know but I saw something I could respond to.

Part of the reason fitting the monomyth on Dreamkeepers didn't work is because David didn't actually write anything cohesive by the time he put together the first two volumes. It was just a smorgasbord of random stuff he threw in because he thought it was cool. He had two things going for him, awesome art and a lot of luck in hitting just the right marks XD

Notice that right now we're at the beginning of volume 3 and the characters don't know anything, they don't have any goals, they don't know what's going on. Nothing's really been happening other than "stuff." That's not a story, that's just senseless fluff.

Nowadays though, Dave has learned a lot about storycraft and subsequent volumes will be a lot better in getting things going in a proper direction and the monomyth may be a bit more present.

Remember that the monomyth is NOT a way to write a story, it is a tool used to analyze elements in a story. It's a very common misconception. Only some of the monomyth elements may be present and not always in the "right" order.
Twilight

---------

Return to Comic story chat room