Mass Effect 3 - Multiplayer Demo!

Just see a terrible, awful film? Warn us! Want to promote something quality in the mainstream? Here is the place to discuss music, movies, TV, comics, books - the good, the bad, the abominable. Review away!

Mass Effect 3 - Multiplayer Demo!

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:50 am

Well, for fans of the series, it’s getting down to the wire here. Mass Effect 3 is on the horizon, and the internet has been a crazy-place of whining fans who don’t want multiplayer in their single player game.

I’m here to tell you they can stuff it.

ME3’s Multiplayer is a blast, and it’s done nothing but get me stoked for the release of the main game in a little less than two weeks.

I played the Multiplayer Demo on my XBOX360, the Demo is free to download… so if you have an internet connection you’d be crazy not to get it. ALSO, you can apparently play the multiplayer with a SILVER Account, so if you’re Gold account has lapsed or something, you can STILL play it. You have no excuses.

So how’s it play? Tight and brutal. The combat is more deliberate than lightning fast, and your movement really has some weight to it, but it definitely feels smooth and refined. It plays with the same quality as the best third-person shooters on the market, and looks spectacular to boot.

Here’s the rundown.

When you boot it up, the game directs you to the Store. Don’t freak out, it’s not going to microtransaction you to death. This is the Store where you get the equipment your characters will be using to crush opposition and act like the galactic badasses you really are. You start with enough credits to purchase the Recruit Box, which will give you some random items. More on this later.

Then you get to select your character. You’re initially locked to the Humans of each of the six classes… Adept, Soldier, Engineer, Sentinel, Infiltrator, and Vanguard. You have three active abilities to put points into in each class, and each Race has some different options for those skills. You also have two passive abilities that you can put points into as well. Once you select your character, you’ll be asked to name him or her, and then pick a Primary Color and a Highlight. Not… the greatest customization ever… but there’s a lot to choose from, and so far I haven’t seen anyone who looks like me. So there’s a plus. There are a bunch of modification-parts greyed out though, and I’m not sure if they need to be unlocked or will be unlocked in the main game. Either way, fingers crossed.

I was initially a little put off by what seemed like a cut-down on skills. The ME2 dumbdown was in full force! I was WRONG. When you click a skill to put points into it, it delves into the skill, and you see that each skill has a two branching paths. It’s not the most in-depth system ever, but it allows you to specialize a little more, and its certainly better than ME2.

So let’s check out your loadout. Any class can equip any two weapons. This is balanced by the new ‘weight’ mechanic. The bigger the weapons you’re lugging around, the slower your powers recharge. So if you’re an engineer who likes Incinerating everything… like me… you don’t want to be trying to lug around an assault rifle and a sniper rifle. It’s a little odd at first, but it works.

And how about those weapons! A lot of familiar weaponry is available to you from the get-go, and you’ll feel right at home with the assault rifles, pistols, and shotguns. The guns are fun to shoot, and have a good feel. The shotguns in particular are brutal, violent, ugly affairs that make you felt all warm and fuzzy every time you pull the trigger. It’s rewarding for sure.

Better still, now you can modify your weapons! Unlocks of different bits and baubles to add to your guns are a little slim in the demo, but hopefully they’ll add more in the main game. These are additions to your weapons that affect performance, and are physically represented on your gun to boot! These are the nice little things that I enjoy, as they make me feel at least a little invested.

So you have your guns, put down some ability points, and it’s time to kick some Cerberus tail. Let’s look at the game…

You have two maps to choose from, Firebase Red and Firebase White… I’m sorry, I mean Firebase Ghost and Firebase White. Trust me on this one, one is very red, the other is very white. I’m not sure where Firebase Ghost is, but Firebase White is on Noveria! There’s a blast from the past.

The gameplay is a ‘horde’ mode style of game. You have ten waves to fight off. Blast through the last wave and you get a fat bonus, along with completing the mission. This is important when you get the main game, but for now, it’s just a nice fat bonus.

You’ll be fighting Cerberus in the Demo, from your basic Assault Troops, to the heavily armored Centurions, shield carrying Guardians, sniping Nemesis, and those damn ninjas who I can’t name at the moment. Kill them fast and at a distance as soon as you see them. Some waves will throw in Combat Engineers and Atlas Mechs… so you’ll stay on your toes for 8 out of 10 waves for sure.

No matter what you’re fighting, keep to cover and play smart. Stick with your team, cover your buddies, use communication. The maps are surprisingly vertical… I mean really vertical, there’s tons of different routes to get around, and I never found myself getting caught on terrain or doing anything weird. Numerous times we were pinned down by Nemesis snipers, and I managed to break away, take a winding loop around, and flank them… saving out team and finishing the round. It’s a good feeling.

Until they start doing the same to you.

Typically, there are some real nice places on the maps to hole up and bunker down. Especially places around the little ammo-dumps that let you snag more ammo. You will chew through ammo pretty quick, so figure out where these places are. But the game forces you out of your little comfort zone by giving you specific objectives that you need to complete… while fighting off the waves. The two I’ve seen are either hacking a terminal, or killing specific high-priority targets within a certain time limit. It gets you moving and keeps things fun, regardless of how many times a grenade lands on your objective and wipes half the group.

So you have a game under your belt, you’ve vacuumed up some experience points and credits, so now what?

Well the EXP should be obvious, let’s talk about the Credits.

You use the Credits not on specific upgrades or unlocks, but instead to buy booster packs. You have the option of either the Recruit Pack (5000credits), and the Veteran Pack (10,000 credits). Each pack has five random items in it, but purchasing the Veteran Pack assures that you get a single Uncommon Item. These packs have things in them like single-use items… such as medpacks (for yourself), a single shot rocket launcher, or a portable ammo-refill for when you can’t get back to the ammo crates. To stock up on those refills, you’ll need to buy more boxes.

The boxes also have single-use items that you can Equip, such as Special Ammunition, Armor Boosts, and Shield Mods. These are things you actively decide to use, and disappear after one game, but they can give you a much needed boost when you start tackling the high difficulty Gold missions.

The Boxes also unlock Weapons, Weapon Mods, and… Characters! Yep, you get new characters by buying these booster packs. Thankfully it’s all in-game money, and if you’re a quick shot or a reliable team-member, you rake in around five to six thousand Credits a match. I should note, if you open a box and end up with a gun you already have? AWESOME. Getting the same weapon just makes it better, and if this happens Five times, you’ll have a pretty daunting weapon at your disposal.

I’m not too sure how I feel about the ‘booster pack’ feel of the upgrades and weapons, but I do know I’ve been having an absolute blast with the game, and I’m looking forward to getting home to do some more damage.

(I just hope the servers are back up when I get home.)

Just some notes on things I didn’t cover but are worth mentioning!

1) Equip your Weapons and Powers BEFORE your first game. Otherwise you’ll be in the lobby scratching your head while everyone else is ready to go.

2) There is NO POWER WHEEL. You have three powers and that’s it. They are mapped to the two shoulder buttons, and the Y button (Triangle for you PS3 types).

3) There is no weapon wheel either, to swap weapons, hold the X buttion, (Square for PS3)

4) Aim for the Head!

5) Communicate! The game will display the name of your location in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. This says something like ‘Landing Pad’ or ‘Terminal B’. It makes life easy.

6) Call me! … no really, my handle on X-Box Live is The Steamdriven Hit me up and let’s play a few rounds! I should be on most of the night as long as the servers are up.

See you online! Remember why we fight!
Chemical Cutthroat

Re: Mass Effect 3 - Multiplayer Demo!

Postby Twilight on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:43 pm

I have no excuse but I didn't feel like reading a massive post on my phone ^^;

Is it co op? And is there a player limit? Cuz we might be able to set up a dreamkeepers Raid party and set up a game of awesome as a group
Twilight

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:10 pm

*sniff* Did you... did you just tl;dr me?

Yes, the ENTIRE Multiplayer bit is Co-Op. It's all the horde-mode type gameplay. And its HOT.

I don't have a Mic at the moment, since I've been in the process of moving, but I can still work at setting things up. Or someone with vocal capabilities can get involved.

Player Limit is 4 per game. Typical co-op stuff.
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby Twilight on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:29 pm

I'm on my phone XD I can't read things comfortably.

But yes, we can totally get Fore in on this and anyone else who wants to join in 8F
Twilight

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Yepyep! Sounds like fun. Even if I will be voiceless... I'll see if I can do something about that before I run home actually...

Can never have enough crappy mics!

The Steamdriven is my gamertag. Just hit me up at somepoint tonight. Once I get settled in it's my goal not to move for the night.
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby Avolendi on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:16 pm

My nickname on xbox live is Liandrii

Downloading the game now :D

Or should I download it for the pc?
Avolendi

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:20 pm

Do it on Xbox.
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby Twilight on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:59 pm

I've tried the thing..... the controls are awful D8 ME2's controls were better.
Twilight

Postby Lord of the Forest on Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:24 pm

Twilight wrote:I've tried the thing..... the controls are awful D8 ME2's controls were better.

Really Twi? I'm enjoying these controls a lot more than ME2 now that I've got some practice at it, in fact I felt like ME2 was a little looser than this. My only real gripe with the time I've spent playing the multiplayer demo is that I'm have issues reviving teammates since the positioning is a little awkward and the reward system.

After crunching at this game and leveling up a Vanguard (FAVORITE CLASS) to 18 and a Sentinel to 13, I had amassed quite a number of credits. I promptly spend these to acquire a new character. I GOT NOTHING. At least, nothing that I truly wanted. All I want out of these recruit packs are new characters. I either get a gun that I already have, sometimes a new upgrade, but always when I get a new character it's always the same gender for the same human class that I already have. This game is PAINFULLY cruel in terms of encountering the species you want with the class you want.

The really weird thing about it though is that it keeps me playing, which is fun, which is even more cruel because I'm having fun...but I'm still incredibly frustrated...but I'm still playing.

Also, gamertag is LordoftheForest.
Lord of the Forest

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Yeah. Go figure Avolendi unlocks the Quarian Engineer in the FIRST PACK.

Some people get all the luck. Turns out if you unlock the same weapon multiple times, it just gets better. Up to a max of level 5.
Chemical Cutthroat

---------

Next

Return to Culture clash