Mass Effect 3 - General Discussion

Just see a terrible, awful film? Warn us! Want to promote something quality in the mainstream? Here is the place to discuss music, movies, TV, comics, books - the good, the bad, the abominable. Review away!

Re: Mass Effect 3 - General Discussion

Postby Twilight on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:25 pm

That's certainly a possibility, Chem. I think the rest of us got so jaded by the atrocities that we decided to not hold back any punches. The general mediocre writing in the game could've easily been forgiven if the game had ended on a satisfying note as opposed to the way it did.

I was personally fine with ME2 for a long time, and even preferred it over ME1 until people started pointing out all the game's writing flaws, and there ARE many, but that didn't make me dislike the game. At least not until the 3rd game came around and took a dump on everyone's head and then all the previous, forgivable mistakes just seemed like predecessors to the final 10 minutes, in a slow degradation process.

With me, it got to a point where, after seeing everything EA Bioware accomplished, and seeing just how bad they got, I seem to have developed a sadistic desire to see them crash and burn, and serve as an example to everyone to NOT sell out to EA, and to not be an idiot when writing and developing your games. This only gets intensified when I find out things like how they were trying to make a ME FPS... EA Bioware, a company whose mission statement is to create story driven games, was trying to make ME's equivalent of Star Wars Battlefront. Thankfully, the idea evolved into just the multiplayer we got in ME3, but seriously, the fact that they tried that is appalling because it shows just how low they've gone. If their demise resulted in other people learning from their mistakes and then generally producing better work because of it, I'd be content. But as of right now, I'm never buying a EA Bioware game again.
Twilight

Postby Lord of the Forest on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Twilight wrote:But as of right now, I'm never buying a EA Bioware game again.

Lord of the Forest

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:19 pm

I’ve spent a good portion of my adult life telling other people about Bioware and their games. I’ve dragged people into KoToR, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect, and its something everyone loved… hell, Bioware was the only company that put out a good SONIC THE HEDGEHOG game in the longest time. It was amazing.

I’m still a Mass Effect fan. It upsets me a little that everyone else can want to lynch the lot of them.

All I can do is hold out hope that something will happen and things will get better. I don’t have a problem with all the DLC stuff… take my money. I know that makes me part of the problem, but Mass Effect has been my favorite escape in the past five years. FIVE YEARS.

Little things like Bastion and Limbo came up and made me happy to take part in their well crafted worlds… but when it all comes down to it, I’ve always been itching to grab my Vindicator and get back into the fight for the galaxy.

I’m going to spend the next few weeks trying to pry into things and look for information, and try to avoid that Internet Hate Machine that’s going to be screaming for blood and bone. I’m still pissed, but damnit I’m going to try and be productive about it.

And I’m also going to play a lot of multiplayer, because it’s good, and it’s fun. I’m glad they put it in.

…also the Ditto post was hilarious.
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby SuperVaderMan on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:44 pm

I'm still a Mass Effect fan too, and that's why I, and a lot of other people, are getting fired up over the sharp drop in quality-of-product. It was mostly the ending, but the drop in writing and overall game quality is present throughout. We know Bioware can do better, yet we got Mass Effect 3.

This isn't the first time Bioware has disappointed either, Dragon Age 2 turned out to be mediocre and people hated it. That, and Star Wars: The Old Republic isn't without its share of flaws, though I'll admit I'm not exactly unbiased concerning that particular game.

I am a Mass Effect fan. I am a KotOR fan. I am a Dragon Age: Origins fan.

I am NOT a fan of the current Bioware.

I love the old Bioware to death, but until I see a change for the better, I am also not going to be getting any of their games. I will not support this change in direction that BW's taken, for it is a downward spiral.

Also if you're interested in hearing more on the subject, go to the official Bioware forums, they've got A LOT of opinions available. Here's two threads concerning the ending, from the perspectives of professionals.

And people have already taken a productive approach to resolving this issue Chem, with the creation of project Retake Mass Effect, a group of people that decided they hated the ending so much that they were gonna try and get Bioware's attention and get them to change it into something acceptable.

They've even started a charity drive for Child's Play, for which they've already recieved over $70,000 in donations for. So far, Bioware's acknowledged the problem, but we'll see if they do anything about it.
SuperVaderMan

Postby Twilight on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Oh dude, I used to love Bioware. They were one of the few companies I respected. Now that they've gone corrupt, I'd prefer to use them as an example of "this is what you don't do if you're awesome" XD

I mean, sure, you could say second chances all you want, but they've been screwing around for a while. DA2 being the key example.

I'd rather see more people learn from Bioware's mistakes and have more groups of people making awesome things, than just see Bioware recuperate and then they're still the only ones making anything good. Mostly because, while I've loved their games in the past, I've always felt like things could still be done better, and it'd be great to see other devs picking up on that.
Twilight

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:21 pm

Okay, DA2 had some quality issues, and so did ME3. that's two games... two very important games, but I guess being their latest offerings shows a lot about their change as a company... or not. We'll see.

"I guess you could say...

*puts on sunglasses*

...they've been Indoctrinated."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby Zagura on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:03 pm

Mind blown. XD Some guy thought up a reason as to why ME3 ends the way it does. Makes sense to me.

O_O If its true, then Bioware would probably win the award for biggest troll ever.

*Edit: Lol i just realized you guys have discussed this. >_> You get behind on social things when your best friend has been a textbook for the last two weeks.
Zagura

Postby wildcard on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:00 am

I don't buy the indoctrination theory personally. If it was all happening in his mind then how does the Star Gazer explain it in perfect detail?

Or was it all just a bull**** story?

Both possibilities make it worse. :shock:
wildcard

Postby Lord of the Forest on Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:08 pm

wildcard wrote:Both possibilities make it worse. :shock:

If the Indoctrination Theory is true then Bioware gave us a very loose ending.Essentially it comes down to two things: Shepard either gets indoctrinated or he/she doesn't. The outcome is therefore never directly seen, leaving up to assume for ourselves what happened. I find that much, much worse than the shlock that happens if this ending is truly real. For one it allows EA and Bioware to CHARGE us to buy a more conclusive ending (if that is truly what future DLC involves in the future). If this is true, then I find it to be a despicable attempt at monetary gain at the expense of the fans.
Lord of the Forest

---------

Previous

Return to Culture clash