Interest Thread: "Beyond"

Tired of being in character? Relax, ditch the mask, and take a break in the headless room.

Interest Thread: "Beyond"

Postby Sorrel on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:19 pm

Anduruna, the largest city in the Dreamworld, has amnesia.

For all its marvels and achievements, one subject is repeatedly left untouched: History. The legends of the ancient world are dismissed as children's stories, and the mysteries of the Silent Centuries are left to gather dust. For the major players in Andurunan politics, history is merely that one thing you learned in school and then never used again. But not everyone agrees.

Every so often, an ambitious Ph.D will organize an independent expedition into unmapped lands, hoping to uncover remnants of those who came before. Most of them return -- sometimes with news of groundbreaking discoveries. Occasionally, some don't.

This is the story of one such expedition, funded and lead by renowned archaeologist Dr. Cayo Adanza. Together with a diverse team of experts and interns, Dr. Adanza set out into the unknown to dig up what relics they could find of the ancient world. Little did they know that their adventure was destined to succeed.

They found something terrifying.

Come one, come all! Welcome to... well, the first forum roleplay I've run solo. I'm excited.

Here's the setup: In a tale somewhere between Indiana Jones and Shadow of the Colossus, players take on the role of some of Adanza's team members. There are several job types available, like college interns to run errands, archaeologists to work under Adanza, pack-mule types to do heavy lifting and carrying, a couple of bodyguards to ward off bandits, et cetera. For those who are interested, before you create a character (or sign up a pre-made one) there are some things I ask that you keep in mind:

ONE: This game will move fast. For the sake of actually finishing before everyone gets bored and runs out of steam, I plan on posting at least once a day for the duration of the RP, whether the characters are ready or not. BUT! For this reason, I won't be starting it up until some time this summer, when I have the time to be a reliable GM. I'm open to changing the start date to accommodate for player schedules, as long as I have a few days' notice.

TWO: Powers are not a major part of this story. If you need to decide between a character with a cool power and one with a cool personality or backstory, pick the latter. Trust me, it will be worth it in the long run.

THREE: Please, think of the children. I can't in good conscience accept any character under the age of 20. What purpose could a kid or teenager serve on an archaeological dig? They'd be bored to death and a drain on resources. And for the sake of fairness, this means I also have to bar child geniuses and the like. No worries, older characters can be just as fun!

FOUR: High risk of character death. I feel like I need to say this right up front, because it may be a turn-off for a lot of people, and I don't want anyone to walk away unhappy because they didn't realize what they signed up for. There is a point late in the story where the characters' actions will literally decide whether or not they survive. Though a character can be killed at any time if they do something incredibly dense, that one "point of no return" is so close to the end of the story that I don't expect anyone to be too upset if they get short end of things. But here's the disclaimer just in case. You have been warned. Still interested? Awesome!

FIVE: There are 5 - 7 slots available. This is to keep me sane, which by extention will keep the game experience rewarding, if this idea generates a lot of interest. I'll let everyone know when applications are closing, and I'll post a final roster soon afterwards. That won't happen for a while though. It's perfectly okay to post multiple character submissions -- but since there can only be one character per player, the one you get would be up to me in that case. *Both veterans and newbies are welcome.*

On to character creation! Whether you want to draft a new persona from scratch or sign up an old favorite, here's an idea of what I need:

* Name, age, and bio: The usual basics. Tell us a little about your character, what made him/her into the person he/she is today. As far as backstory goes, you can say as much or as little as you please. Optional: power. Must be accompanied by a brief description of the character's level of experience with it. No power experts, please -- it's outlawed in Anduruna.

* Expedition role: What's your character's duty on Adanza's team? Why did they take the job in the first place? How did they hear about it? Now with actual job listings, for the convenience of character creation and submission!

* Personality: I could spend an eternity asking things about what makes this person tick. It's up to you to decide how in-depth you'd like to go in this introductory post, but I do ask that you include things like their values and fears. What do they consider the most important thing in the world, something they'd die for if they had to? What's the one thing that paralyzes them with terror? Keep in mind that characters with flaws tend to be more fun to play and interact with.

Alright, there's the pitch in a nutshell. Applications are open for anyone who wants to get on board! They will remain open for several months though, so no rush.

NEW! The Prologue Thread is now open for anyone who wants to test out their characters. It's an open-roster, sandbox-style playground where you can tell us who your character is, what their life is like, how they heard about the expedition, and what they did to get involved with it. Anyone who posts a character submission in this thread is eligible to join, and it will run until I open the main thread this summer. Have fun!
Last edited by Sorrel on Mon May 28, 2012 2:24 am, edited 8 times in total.
Sorrel

Re: Interest Thread: "Beyond"

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:42 pm

Looks like fun, though you're certainly drumming up interest early. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

This will be a fun concept, is there any character type that's being aimed for or avoided? Like would the expedition party be looking for a couple ruff n' tumble folks that aren't exactly the most 'edumacated', but might be useful for surviving. Like Robert Muldoon from Jurassic Park (I love that guy).

I'll poke around some ideas and post something later. Likely when Survival Horror Anduruna is done.
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby Sorrel on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:54 pm

That's a good question, actually. I honestly can't think of any particular kind of character I don't want at the moment. There's certainly enough demand for unskilled labor -- the intellectuals are going to need people to haul their findings, blaze trails, keep everything organized, all that kind of stuff that they might be too proud or too busy with research to do themselves. If you think of something, go ahead and post it! (I should also add that multiple character submissions are fine, though there will only be one character per player. Let me update that real quick...)

As for the earliness, there's a reason for that. I'm currently too swamped with work to do any real planning, though I've got the story beats down. This is just a peek at whether or not people would like to play with this kind of scenario. If there's enough interest, then I know I have plenty of time to buckle down and work out all the details well in advance. It's a silly reason, but I'm sticking to it. XD
Sorrel

Postby MandyHabato on Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:06 pm

in the summer? if it starts in the summer, heck yeah i'll join! just tell me when/where we start and put app, and what time zone(GN time, TAG time(for ex), couple years b4/after) to base the char picking on. I MIGHT make a new char, but it depends on when this is. Right now, only one of my chars has even a close chance of joining, and that's Yuri and that's only if it's 2+ years after The Heist(which i THINK happens around GN time...). So, yeah, high chance of new char depending on time. XD Put my name in the 'HECK YES!' category. Now. I want a reservation. -_- not missin' out. probly.
MandyHabato

Postby Sorrel on Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:13 pm

Ooooh, time. Another good thought.

I honestly don't think time period matters, so if you'd like to use Yuri, then it can definitely be set a few years after the events of Heist. It won't affect story events either way, so feel free to do what you want regarding time-based stuff. Good question!
Sorrel

Postby MandyHabato on Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:31 pm

soooo, your basically saying that if two ppl had related chars, one could have (i'll call them steve and bill) steve, who is bill's dad, be 25, and the other have bill be 30 because time line doesn't matter?

I understand that that would never happen. but say i used Yuri and Chem uses Alric(Just an example!) and Chem used him right before The Heist, and I would obviously use Yuri AFTER the heist. Alric wouldn't know Yuri, but Yuri would know Alric. I just suggest you set a time just to keep confusion about chars less and so pll won't have to work the time line for their char's out amongst themselves with a long complicated measuring of time.

^^ i'm nit-picky! sorry! (and I think I WILL make a new char....)
MandyHabato

Postby Devious_Psychopath on Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:35 pm

I'm certainly interested! I've got a couple characters in mind already for this. I'll have to pick one though.
Devious_Psychopath

Postby Sorrel on Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:37 pm

MandyHabato wrote:soooo, your basically saying that if two ppl had related chars, one could have (i'll call them steve and bill) steve, who is bill's dad, be 25, and the other have bill be 30 because time line doesn't matter?

Actually yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Timeline literally doesn't matter -- consider this an alternate universe, if you will. One that's entirely disconnected from all the other forum RPs here. If you want to preserve the relationship between two characters, then by all means, feel free to collaborate with other players to decide where you all fit in with each other. There's plenty of prep time! I just don't think it would be possible for me to give an exact date (aside from the year 1227) because I don't know where the other RP timelines fit in with the canon timeline.

Of course nobody is going to fault you for deciding to avoid that mess by starting with a new character XD XD Whatever you decide.

Devious_Psychopath wrote:I'm certainly interested! I've got a couple characters in mind already for this. I'll have to pick one though.

Awesome! Glad to see so many people willing to give this a shot already.
Sorrel

Postby MandyHabato on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:09 pm

so....do we put up the chars now, or wait? I mean, i'd love time to plan everything out, but now I'm excited!
MandyHabato

Postby Sorrel on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:12 pm

If you've got an idea you're ready to put up, go for it! You can put up a few different characters if you'd like, though only one can actually be in the final roster.
Sorrel

---------

Next

Return to Headless room.