In Dire Need of Assistance

Have something thoughtful and relevant to say? No? Then come post crap in here!

In Dire Need of Assistance

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:23 am

Help!

I have motivation with no direction! Boredom with no escape! I need to write something! Anything!

Bronies and Pokefans need not apply.

I have a creative urge and I’m stuck at work… and I have zero direction on what I want to write, so I’m looking for some sort of recommendation or direction. Give me some characters, a setting, maybe a goal or something… that’s optional, I’ll probably get sidetracked from it anyway.

Just toss out ideas. Locales, plot, setting, characters… just understand I’m just going to roll with whatever I’m given. Hell, if it’s DK related I might even invite some others to hop in and add stuff.

I anxiously await a response… and hopefully can avoid death by boredom at work.
Chemical Cutthroat

Re: In Dire Need of Assistance

Postby Devious_Psychopath on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:34 am

Characters: Mace, Whip, Lilith, Namah, and Doctor Who and one of his companions of your choice

Locale: I'll leave this detail to someone else
Devious_Psychopath

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:41 am

Ack! Caveat! Caveat!

No Canon stuff... it'll murder me. I hate using other people's Intellectual Property. It makes me feel dirty inside.

More blank slate than that... or 'make' a character to be used...

Using other people's work always makes me nervous, and then I have to fact check everything, and then I have t-BOOM!

Or that happens.
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby Devious_Psychopath on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:04 am

Aw... So much for tricking you into writing a DK/Doctor Who crossover fanfic...

My character, Devin Path.

And he gets drafted into Troika's ranks somehow.
Hilarity ensues.

That good?
Devious_Psychopath

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:11 am

*rubs chin* I think I could manage that, same Devin from the Survival Horror game?
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby Devious_Psychopath on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:15 am

More or Less. Except without the zombies and psychological scarring.
Devious_Psychopath

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:17 am

Pssh... fine, take ALL the fun stuff away.

Kidding. Alright, let me... hmm.. *wracks brain* ...considering I know crap about the Troika, it's time to make stuff up!

Anyone else who wants to throw in ideas, feel free.
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby RedFox on Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:28 pm

A brother and his three sisters living in a small house in rural America, circa 1930's. They all dream of moving to a big city (of your choice), but everyday life and their inability to change damns them to the rural lifestyle they've grown to hate, and are forced to live with.

They have maybe two or three family-friends that visit them on occasion, so that character development and relationships can be defined more.

The idea behind the brother and sisters is that they are very complex, but true-to-life characters. They want one thing, talk about another thing, think about a third thing, and do a fourth thing. Nothing syncs up and progresses because of these fallacies.

A man in charge of one of the largest soda companies in the world, whom is obsessed with the secret recipe for his soda, discovers an a vital addition to formula that would make the soda literally addictive; people would become chemically dependent on it.

Simultaneously, he realizes the possibilities and the horrors that could occur if he changed the formula. He deeply desires to hold up his father's legacy (who stared the company), but his lust for power and control cause him to eventually follow through. Chaos and personal struggles ensue.

Set in a Steampunk/Prohibition-Era Chicago mashup setting, the most notorious bootleg gang in the city face potential danger when another group of rogue do-gooders begin shutting down their operation from the inside. Unsure who are the saboteurs and who are the real thugs anymore, the inner-most ring of the gang is set on edge, trust thinning and nerves on end. A battle royal between the other city gangs and the police breaks, and spirals into civil war.

That's only three ideas, but goddamnit, I tried.
RedFox

Postby WhiteinBlack on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Well I don't know about ideas, but I can help you with making your own. I am not sure that if you already know this, but what I do sometimes (rarely now because I am currently caught up in my own topics) is skim through whatever topic, game, book I see interesting. I skim enough to get a general sense of the plot and if it's interesting enough I do a self- insert.

It's rather stupid to do self-inserts because everyone does them and expect the story to stay the same. What most writers don't realize is when you add one new element to a story; it will change it, most likely rewrite the entire outcome. It's like adding guns to Narnia. The White Witch might when just because of the addition of guns.

Back to the subject, I do a self-insert and wonder the possibilities of how my presence will change the story. Over time, I create many different scenarios and the scenario change the self-inserted Version of me into a whole new character. Here and there, I toss other characteristics to make that character more unique and less like me and at the same time, I become inspired by the new story elements (setting, tools, etc.) I have made. Like the character, I add new elements to make it more unique, pulling items and inspiration from other TV shows, books, or games I've played. A writer is simple a plagiarist (can't spell it). We take other peoples' ideas, twist them, and make them our own. The first writer ever in history is the true writer. Eventually, I make a new world of my own.

For example, I am a brony (proud of it because I am 20% cooler!). I read a Fanfic called the End of all Ponies. Incomplete, but it is very moving. In (current) summary, it’s about the last pony left alive in a dead Equestria caused by an unknown event. The sun and moon are dead and gone. The world is a continuous storm that grows colder after each year. All is left are the scumbags of the world. She wanders for 25 years after said event, but eventually runs into a friend who happens to be alive. A dragon who had discovered the powers of time travel. He's be using it to try and find the source of the event and, if possible, fix it. Or to repair the damage of the present. But he couldn't go far enough into the past. Only this last pony could, because all the remaining magic in the world was absorbed into her body without her knowing. Basically, she helps him try and find the solution. To her displeasure, however. She had been trying to forget the past and remove all pain.

With this story, I did a self-insert. I played as unicorn (though I prefer pegasus). This unicorn is powerful in magic, but he is a writer at heart. He is also a blank flank. In order to hide from the pain of his now dead and tundra environment as well as the atrocities he will have to commit, he constantly wears a black cloth blindfold, using magic to be his sight.

He believes he's the last of his kind and wanders as well. He collects other unicorn horns in order to become more powerful and to survive, but when these horns touch his flesh, they force imprint memories of their previous owner. These memories give the unicorn (I call him Wizard) the idea that he should keep collecting them in order to never forget Equestria in its former glory. It also brings him hope and pain. He’s see’s them all die in the same Cataclysm Event over and over. Later, he also discovers the dragon, but well before the Mare mentioned earlier. Together, they formulate the time spell.

However, Wizard accidently discovers a method to jump dimensions. Seeing an opportunity to escape this world and his pain, he continues to help the Dragon Spike understand and refine the time travel. While in the past, he collects the items he needs in order to make a power source strong enough to jump the gap between dimensions. Nothing works until he collects the Essence of Harmony. This is literally the same rainbow of magic used against Nightmare Moon to free Luna. With his power source, he returns to the future. When Spike questions his actions, Wizard erases his memory of him and jumps into a brand new Equestria. The one we know on the show.

He is delight, ecstatic that he could have the possibility of living a normal life. However, his actions attracted the unwanted attention of The Time Goddess: one of the six goddess that created and rule (not my idea, but the writer of the End of All Ponies. Created goes to him/her). She tells him that he can’t live in this Equestria because the anomaly he represents; how he can alter the time stream in ways that it should not. So she gives the opportunity to either serve her as an Observer of time, to return back to his dimension, or to be erased completely. Obvious, he serves her and self-calls himself a Minor Time Lord.

From there, I make a bunch of stories and scenarios of him travel across time fix stuff here and there. I received this idea when watching Doctor Who. In fact, several of my stories involve Wizard and the Doctor. Mostly Wizard pestering the Doctor for knowledge of the rest of the universe.

Currently, Wizard is a very powerful magic user even without the Essence of Harmony or the horns he's collected because of his studies with Spike. Not enough to defeat an Alicorn, but enough to be a true annoyance. He has crazy attitude for anything new and very easily distracted if bored. He still wears his blindfold because it helps refine his magic, but he did soak it in cockatrice blind giving it a special property. Unless permitted by him, anyone who removes the blindfold will turn to stone. He has a royal purple eye and a forest green eye. His coat is, was, sky blue. Now it’s grey from the lack of sun. He has mane/tail of Chocolate Brown, but it is torn up from his past life in the other dimension. His body bears many smalls, but the most profound ones are on his eyes and forelegs; evidence of battles from starving wildlife. He now wears a coat that hides most of his scars. It has one huge pocket on its left side and a smaller one on the right. Both are enchanted to be bottomless.

Although a servant of time, he doesn’t know everything of past and future. He prefers to take time to learn for himself as well as let the flow of knowledge come at increments as so not to be overwhelmed. He can travel through space, but only if ordered to. Otherwise, Equestria remains isolated from the rest of the universe which is why the Doctor never knew about the place until the Time Goddess dragged him there and effectively trapping him; Thus the birth of Doctor Whooves.

Basically, from one story, I made a fantastic character. I’ve yet to create my own environment, but I become creative other stories like the inheritance Cycle. However, I do my best to stray away from the original story line, so not make my device complicated and to remain original.

I hope this helps. Though, I feel like I’m missing something.
WhiteinBlack

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:29 am

Ah, how I love you guys.
Chemical Cutthroat

---------

Return to Spamduruna