Human Dreamkeeper Bond

For miscellaneous speculation about the Dreamworld and dreamkeepers, you've come to the right place!

Human Dreamkeeper Bond

Postby Klona on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:55 pm

Here goes nothing...

Alright, this is a pet theory have been looking at for the past few months, using both information in the books and from Dave. Feel free to critique and discuss this, cause I just might be shooting my mouth off with this. Please remember that this is given in two parts, the first being the world mechanics that make the theory work and the second being the meat of the idea. For a better understanding of some concepts, I have attempted to include links at the bottom of the post.

There are two worlds the Waking World (what we live in everyday) and the Dreamworld. They are situated parallel to one another like floor and ceiling. Connecting the two are countless threads, these are each human's subconscious. On one end of the thread is the conscious mind, anchored in the Waking World; the other is located in the Noosphere. The noosphere is the sphere of human thought, a network of subliminal messages and ideas. The term we know is better as is Andruna. Nightmares exist between the Waking World and the Dreamworld, and are able to enter the Noosphere through a hole or tear at 'Malgini.' By entering the Dreamworld Nightmares exert a pressure that limits their total strength and creates the need for a Dreamkeeper.
Dreamkeepers have a specific role in this system. They are the 'emotional shadow' of their human counterparts. Many aspects of their appearance and Power are derived from the personality of their partners. Within the Dreamworld they are the other end of the subconscious, acting as both a balancing force and stopper against Nightmare pressure. As a balancing force, Dreamkeepers are able to push against the influence of outside entities. The combined pressure of each Keeper sets a limit on the ammount of pressure the Nightmares are able to exert within the dreamworld. The other part exerts itself as a protective force between the worlds. In that 'space' Nightmares are able to exist until they are corprealized, but they are always able to sense the bond between keeper and human. Should a Dreamkeeper die an 'un-natural death' the protection granted by their existance is lost and Nightmares are able to use the subconscious as a bridge to the human mind. When a Dreamkeeper has summoned their halo, a part of their human's character is drawn upon. For instance the Indigo's may be drawing on the emotional flexibility of their humans while Bast is able to channel the burning resentment of his counterpart. When the halo is summoned, there is a strengthening of the protection between Keeper and Human. While this manages to give a greater protection to both parties, it gives Nightmares a beacon to find the Power user.

If you need me to explain more, just ask. Also, here is one of the links I talked about. The other should be up in a day or so, when I have time to sketch a diagram on nice paper. Thanks for taking the time to go through that wall of text and considering my ideas.

- just focus on the idea of a 'Sphere of Human Thought'
Klona

Re: Human Dreamkeeper Bond

Postby ilvos01 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:59 am

Fun. You should check "Random DK info" page here.

I like it, but a problem I see is this- Word Of God says that Dreamkeepers existed before the nightmares, and that their presence only instilled the development of powers. Word Of God also says that there is much more info on this matter in the plot vault.
ilvos01

Postby Twilight on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:32 am

Where'd you see that, Ilvos?
Twilight

Postby Mileau on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:44 am

ilvos01 wrote:...Word Of God says that Dreamkeepers existed before the nightmares, and that their presence only instilled the development of powers...

This reminded me of one question posted by Vader in the Compendium-

SuperVaderMan wrote:<Rydlen> Question: <blizzardfrost> Since Dreamkeepers are reflective of the human subconcious, did Dreamkeepers evolve with humans -- If they did, how did their appearances and powers change over time (in general)? And did other members of the genus of Homo have Dreamkeepers, in a sense?

<&DreamKeepers> Ooh... That, actually, is a really good question. In fact, I may want to take some time to consider it, rather than answering right off the bat here.

It's difficult to say, as I can't be sure when exactly in history Nightmares appeared in the Dreamworld, and Dreamkeepers subsequently began to gain their Powers... but it's possible this occured in parallel with one of any number of prehistoric events here in the Waking World which drove human evolution and made us all the Homo Sapiens we are today.

...sometimes I think I put too much thought into this stuff.
Mileau

Postby fel4321 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Quite possibly (the one thing that makes sense to me), is that everyone evolved in parallel. If there are two parallel realities, that co-exist in a very close parallel, possibly a symbiotic relationship could have begun to develop without notice by either side.

It appears to me that nightmares came about after Dreamkeepers had already been established, and co-developing with humans. What brought the nightmares there? An evolution of an intelligent race could send out into a multiverse a detectable frequency of sorts.. one that possibly the nightmares could detect, and be drawn to.

So the nightmares may not have come about until humans had developed enough of an intellect for the nightmares to feed off of and manipulate. If the Dreamkeepers had been developing a symbiotic relationship, then naturally they would fight back to preserve their well being.

In a symbiotic relationship, two parts gain something. If the humans gain protection (to a certain degree) from nightmares, then what do the dreamkeepers get in return? What if they begin to develop their own intellect, using their link with the human's as sort of a causeway or information channel, unconcsiously drawing off the link and developing their own intellect and evolution using the human aspect as a catalyst?
fel4321

Postby Twilight on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:38 pm

That's... over thinking it methinks XD
Twilight

Postby Oseirus on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:34 pm

As much time that's passed between V2 and V3, overspeculation was bound to happen. I'm guilty of it too. Lol.
Oseirus

Postby fel4321 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:43 pm

lol probably :) I like overthinking things occasionally. but, simply put, i think that it a symbiotic relationship that no one really knows is ocurring.
fel4321

Postby WhiteinBlack on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:37 pm

Better to overthink than underthink I say. :)

I do question, however, how close can one human can get to their Dreamkeeper. It's food for thought, but I wonder if that one in a million change happens when a human becomes so close to his/her dreamkeeper that s/he becomes shaken by the sense of realness. Vise versa for the DK.

Also wonder if the Dreamworld is part of dream realm. A universe of collective counterparts for whatever other beings in the universe all protecting against the Nightmares. Thinking like that reminds me of the book, The Door in the Woods and its sequels.
WhiteinBlack

---------

Return to General