human and animal characteristics

For miscellaneous speculation about the Dreamworld and dreamkeepers, you've come to the right place!

human and animal characteristics

Postby AnimeFan18 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:55 am

I know this is not somehow related to dreamkeepers, but I asked dave a question since dreamkeepers have human characteristics(walking,talking,etc.) BUT can they use animal abilities.

what do you guys think?
AnimeFan18

Re: human and animal characteristics

Postby Hakuzo NightFox on Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:16 am

I'm pretty sure they can use their animal parts. Teeth and claws still work after all ;).
Hakuzo NightFox

Postby BlackMantha on Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:09 am

If you willing to read through "The Unofficial Compendium of Random Dreamkeepers Info"-thread, you'll find more. For example:
<ilvos01> Winged dreamkeepers- how many of them can actually fly, is flying regulated, is there some tyoe of registration, like a driver's test, and etc.?

<&DreamKeepers> Actually, yes and yes. Not all winged Dreamkeepers can fly - some of them the wings are just physically not big enough to get them off the ground.
<&DreamKeepers> But for the ones that can fly, in Anduruna flight is heavily regulated.
<&DreamKeepers> Just because it's something they can regulate.
<&DreamKeepers> You have to take aptitude classes, get licensed, pay an annual registration and licensing fee, be submitted to inspections... And there are penalties for flying unlicensed.
BlackMantha

Postby AnimeFan18 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:46 pm

thanks for letting me know,
AnimeFan18

Postby AnimeFan18 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:58 pm

Hakuzo NightFox wrote:I'm pretty sure they can use their animal parts. Teeth and claws still work after all ;).

take lilith for example she's a cat , so what i'm guessing is that she can see in the dark or leap to high places and can also get hyper off of catnip
AnimeFan18

Postby Hazzardous on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:40 pm

I wouldn't think so: Just because one is an anthro feline for example does not suggest they got cat-like reflexes. Or just because a one is an anthro shark does not suggest they can both breath under water or smell blood within water.

To suggest that, would be rather stereotypical imo
Hazzardous

Postby fel4321 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:45 am

I believe that it would depend upon the particular degree of anthropomorphism. For example, Whip seems like he is a little more animalized than most other dreamkeepers. And, he seems to have excellent hearing. He pops out of nowhere in the first book, when mace was attacked. i would think that he can hear very well.

Perhaps a shark could sense blood, but not breathe. It seems to me like there wouldnt be a need for both lungs and gills. It would make sense that a canid would have a sharper sense of smell than a cat, seeing as the anthros still have a larger nasal cavity. Lillith having good night vision would make sense, though not nececcarily the ability to leap to high places. cats get that through muscle conditioning. lillith seems kind of soft to me at this point.
fel4321

Postby AnimeFan18 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:52 am

true, but just imagine how funny it would be if she went hyper on cat-nip. :lol:
AnimeFan18

Postby Hazzardous on Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:53 pm

The reason I don't think animal traits should pass onto anthro's is because they end up with the best of both worlds; not only do they get a human form, but they also retain their animal abilities? No fair :cry:
Hazzardous

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:39 pm

Totally fair, because we're alive and they aren't.

Aside from that, other than the look, some of the benefits make sense. It's not broken for the fish-person to breathe underwater, because, hey, why they hell not?

It might be a little more strange for a cat or bird themed creature to breathe underwater, but really, life isn't fair, some people have better physical characteristics than others, and they have no control over it.

I'm completely worthless without a pair of glasses. The guy sitting next to me has 20/20 vision. Not fair, but that's how it is.
Chemical Cutthroat

---------

Next

Return to General