Help understanding and choosing a power.

Every human has their own unique persona in the DreamWorld - and, frequently, online! Come mingle with the colorful cast, and introduce your own character to the mix.

Help understanding and choosing a power.

Postby JonathonWilder on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:57 pm

Hello, I am running a possible character through my head, but am unsure how to go about choosing a power.
I have a couple questions:
1.Is there some kind of gauge to tell whether or not a power might be too powerful and can two dreamkeepers have what could be said to be a different level of strength for their power? Like for example teleportation and lets say creating a temporary 'summon' of a creature/monster/character from a story that a dreamkeeper has read (think Inkheart but less dangerous and powerful)?
2.Can a dreamkeeper weld magics other then their naturally-born power? Like, for example, a dreamkeeper have the power of shapeshifting and also learn to cast enchantments.

If there are any set 'rules' on a dreamkeepers powers? If so I would love to hear them.
JonathonWilder

Re: Help understanding and choosing a power.

Postby Lord of the Forest on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:31 am

I can easily answer the second question! Generally a dreamkeeper has only one, very specific power. Unless said power can be used in a variety of ways (like telekinesis which has boundless expectations), there isn't much to suggest that a dreamkeeper can have two different powers.

As for your first question, there was a character with that had a power that might relate to what you're considering.

Power: (Not yet discovered) Imagination. Anything she imagines can be translated into physical reality, provided she puts enough thought into it. For example, she can't make a tree magically fly; but she can give it a nerve system, twist it into animal form, and give it wings of sufficient size for sustained flight. As long as she doesn't try anything that slaps physics in the face, whatever she dreams up will manifest itself in the tangible world. The only drawback is that, thanks to the detail work involved, this requires her entire concentration and is limited by her knowledge of the laws of nature.

As for gauging whether something is too powerful, it really just depends on taste most of the time. If it is something that can be viewed as god-modding, then I would be wary. For myself, I usually think up powers that aren't strictly combat related but can be twisted towards defending oneself if need be.
Lord of the Forest

Postby JonathonWilder on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:55 am

Thanks for the help look for my dreamkeeper in the Charcter Critics thread.
JonathonWilder

Postby WhiteinBlack on Mon May 02, 2011 10:20 pm

I just read the Canon-Character or the Thread about making a legitmate character and I have been making radical changes. I wanted an opinion on my Personal DK's Power

Power: Light Ray/Dark Blast
Ruines (my Character's last name, not giving first. Copyright!) can create balls of light that can either heal injuries, illuminate areas, or be directed at a foe. The effectness depends on his emotions. Happiness, hopeful, affection, any positive emotion boast his power. But if Ruines frustrated, hateful, angry, or rage-filled, his power changes to a dark energy which is much more powerful than his Light attack. He is unable to access his light powers until his emotions changed and vice versa for light to dark powers.
WhiteinBlack

Postby Suraru on Mon May 02, 2011 10:30 pm

ya, as long as ninja thugs with swords, or a couple tanks from L4D can kill your character, your fine, just be sure that you have weaknesses for your character, and base him/her off of yourself, for example, to many times ive wished i could pull stuff to my hand, so my dreamkeeper has that power (eventually) but few times have i wished i could walk through walls, so i dont have that power.

the powers and look of your dreamkeeper define your personality.
Suraru

Postby WhiteinBlack on Fri May 06, 2011 11:53 am

I did some modifications and gave alot more thoughts (thanks to a Certain RP i have been playing in my head) and my power should make a little more sense.

Power: Light Mirage/Dark Matter
Ruines (my Character's last name, not giving first. Copyright!) can create balls of light that can heal injuries, illuminate areas, and make mirages. The effectness depends on his emotions. Happiness, hopeful, affection, any positive emotion boast his power. But if Ruines frustrated, hateful, angry, or rage-filled, his power changes to a dark energy which grows more powerful he is filled with more negative emotions. He can change the matter into ray blast or a large shield. He can also augment his speed and strength briefly. But the more power he diverts to his darkness, the more tired he becomes. He is unable to access his light powers until his emotions changed and vice versa for light to dark powers.

How's that? Critic me.
WhiteinBlack

Postby Suraru on Fri May 06, 2011 5:31 pm

seems pretty good,
so what i understand, your powers are based off your emotions, pleasure = light (pacifist) pain = dark (hostile).

i wouldnt have a shield for the dark matter (defending yourself is the last thing you think off when your really mad in battle) but other then that its great.

this is just me, but i would make powers make the character tired, but light mirages use very little energy to create, dark matter uses lots of energy to blast into other people or objects, using it like a burst (like namah did) would cause you to collapse, if your still barley awake, its because you didnt completely use it, and calmed down a bit after seeing the person flail into a wall. the more your angry in battle, the longer, stronger, better you can use the power.

but this is my opinion, dont let me completely change it based off of my views, its your character, do what you want, but keep reactions in mind, and try to be as modest as possible. many people forget this, youll see people saying what they would of done during something traumatizing, acting all cool, but in truth they'd probably be confused of the situation or be soiling themselves in a corner.
Suraru

Postby WhiteinBlack on Fri May 06, 2011 5:54 pm

i wouldnt have a shield for the dark matter (defending yourself is the last thing you think off when your really mad in battle) but other then that its great.

I might keep the sheild, only because I thought that I would need to some kind of defense. But I just might use the rage and adrenline from his dark power use as an up on Vitality and his ability to take hits, in other words: Endurance. But one thing is for sure, he can't morph the darkness into items. That would be overpowering.

this is just me, but i would make powers make the character tired, but light mirages use very little energy to create, dark matter uses lots of energy to blast into other people or objects, using it like a burst (like namah did) would cause you to collapse

That was my idea on mirage idea. My Character's light powers would be more a supportive use or a cause for distracton while he use hand-to-hand or a weapon to get close. Or just to make others annoyed :D
Large burst of dark energy would tire out my dude. I wanted to make some kind of drawback for such a powerful power. No goddymoddy

the more your angry in battle, the longer, stronger, better you can use the power.

I didn't quite think of this, and i might use it. The more angry guy gets, the longer and stronger he gets, but if he uses the new amount dark strength in large burst (which he probably will as he is blind by his rage) the less amount of time he can spend in his darkness. What I probably make my character do is practice self-control so he can be more "conscious" in his rage.
WhiteinBlack

Postby Reed R Gale on Fri May 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Assuming you're not playing with god-players, mirages are one of the ultimate abilities. For real :D

...assuming they can't smell you :P

Now all you have to do is post your full character bio :)

The smiley :)

Reed R. Gale
Reed R Gale

Postby WhiteinBlack on Fri May 06, 2011 7:39 pm

Reed R Gale wrote:Assuming you're not playing with god-players, mirages are one of the ultimate abilities. For real :D

...assuming they can't smell you :P

Now all you have to do is post your full character bio :)

The smiley :)

Reed R. Gale

Well, the mirages are just mirages. For my guys case, the mirage shimmer as the light makes them. My character can manipulate them to do whatever, but they do no real damage.
The character Bio is coming up. Give me some time. :D

Note: My character can't bend and make himself invisible like your character, Jadar, can. Ruines Power can trick the eyes but not cameras.
WhiteinBlack

---------

Next

Return to Character cafe'