Grunn

Have a favorite character in the series? Any that remind you of a real person you know? Talk about the ones you like, the ones you hate, and see what others think.

Re: Grunn

Postby Klona on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:40 pm

Dave and Liz seem to have the most serendipitious choice of names I have ever seen. It's almost too coincidental to be coincidence. Hooray for obfusticatingly long words!
Klona

Postby Mr Aerospace on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:38 pm

Ok, so my hypothesis on Grunn has grown ridiculously out of hand. I have ended up considering every aspect of his life, from early life all the way to becoming the owner of the orphanage at no more than 31 years old!
What I ended up with seems incredulous, given that within about 15~17 years, he has to have learned advanced navigation, great mercantile skills and had developed some incredible insight into Anduruna's maritime trades. Also during that time, he had to have earned enough money to purchase his own ship, (making the strange choice of buying a fishing boat to run as a cargo ship), earn a neat fortune (enough for a home and plenty spare to afford to go on incredibly high risk exploration and treasure hunting ventures), lose most of that fortune, and then finally start an orphanage.
Aaaaand, I've come up with justifications and proofs for the entire thing.

The really interesting thing to me though is why he might have started the orphanage in the first place.

Let's assume that he was running a legitimate operation, and that no matter how successful he was, it was inevitable that he was going to end up taxed out of business by the current regime. I don't think any decent merchant would miss that fact, so Grunn would have finally resolved himself to losing his business. (a pretty good reason to start drinking too, I might add...)
This is where I believe someone a bit more clever comes into the picture, someone Grunn knows well, someone with a forked tongue. They'd have discussed his situation over a Mark or Two, and I think it would have been figured out that the only way to stop Grunn's ship from being repossessed is by transferring it into an NPO (nonprofit organization) that could be run from a dockyard, such as an orphanage. For one, it would provide Grunn with a tax-free haven and immunity from any debts he owns, and secondly he could easily pocket most of the money he makes through the orphanage.
Mr Aerospace

Postby Mr Aerospace on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:46 am

So, earlier I quoted Adam Savage,
Mr Aerospace wrote:...I invoke Mythbusters: "I reject your reality and substitute my own."
In retrospect, there was already a better quote within the context of Dreamkeepers:
Namah wrote:Why is it that reality constantly ignores my imagination?
Mr Aerospace

---------

Previous

Return to DK Characters