Grunn

Have a favorite character in the series? Any that remind you of a real person you know? Talk about the ones you like, the ones you hate, and see what others think.

Re: Grunn

Postby Avolendi on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:19 am

So that would imply that so far we've only seen him 'dry' and much of his personality is still hidden. So the questions are what happened that brought him to look over an orphanage and what role did he have before that?
Avolendi

Postby Mr Aerospace on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:47 am

Ok, um...I see I'm not gonna win with this, so let me start again after manipulating/altering the information a little to serve my point better:

shoal. (Old Norse: grunn) A term synonymous with shallow water, signifying the part of the water not sufficiently deep enough to sail over by vessels which are navigated in that place.

So, grunn is a nautical term in old Norse language that is used to describe somewhere that a boat will run aground :!: I'm impling that "Grunn" (a former sailor) has been run aground. He is operating an orphanage (and not sailing) and his boat is tied to the docks (also not sailing), so he is both literally and metaphorically...Grunn!

As for the rest of that stuff:
- Grunn hasn't been 'dry' (which implies being sober) for years.
- Yes, there is far more to him than what we've seen,
- I have a theory about why the orphanage happened the way it did, which I will attempt to explain in my next post.
Mr Aerospace

Postby Twilight on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:35 pm

.... oooooooooooooooh this is beautiful XD I can't wait to read this.
Twilight

Postby Lord of the Forest on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:39 pm

I'm looking forward to this. I never put much thought into researching Grunn's name, but this just goes hand in hand with my analysis of his appearance and the impact it has in Grunn's characterization. This discussion seems to be tied to his situation more than his character which I'm excited to get into. I'll let you get your thoughts out firstly though and work from there.

:geek:
Lord of the Forest

Postby Mr Aerospace on Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:31 am

Ok, just thought I’d add this quick interjection before that hypothesis I promised.
Word of God: Grunn was named by his parents after a disappointing sounding noise, poor guy.

I kinda butted in about it, and didn't have time to press further, but I don't buy that as the only explanation and I can go into a number of reasons why, but I'll leave it at that for now, an etymological argument doesn't really belong here.
Mr Aerospace

Postby Twilight on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:49 am

Actually, that really is how Dave and Liz named him XD they just filtered it into the explanation they gave you.

On another note, isn't it a bit unfair to say you don't buy an explanation given to you by the authors?
Twilight

Postby Mr Aerospace on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:09 pm

I overstepped the line, and I do apologise.

But, it just seemed a little strange for a character to have such a simple namesake in a world where everything, everywhere and everyone has a meaningful name. It was a slight coincidence that I found a translatation as quick as I did (Honestly it was on my first attempt), it was another coincidence that I figured a bad temepered sailor might be named after a viking word, and it was again a coincidence the word fit his situation pretty well.
And if that isn't good enough for my own reasonable doubt, I invoke Mythbusters: "I reject your reality and substitute my own."
Mr Aerospace

Postby Twilight on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:30 pm

Ah, that makes more sense. I can see where you're coming from, though here's a funfact for ya 8D A lot of the names David and Liz have been giving their characters stems purely from the fact that they like the names ^^; David didn't really research Mesopotamian mythology for the sake of making connections but because he thought the names were cool XD
Twilight

Postby fel4321 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:45 pm

lol that is amusing :)

I do know that Grunn has an ex-wife, And any sailor is going to have a colorful past. It seems to me that Grunn is more an outer edge of something bigger (troika) he isn't exactly smart enough or crafty enough to be a main part.

Scinter and Igrath on the other hand.....

I think that Scinter and Grunn may have had a past, Scinter working in black market and Grunn being a sailor... smuggler? So eventually Grunn got into the Troika thing and got suckered into running an orphanage.
fel4321

Postby Avolendi on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:37 pm

I just want to say that if the Viking word wás unrelated to Grunn, it ought to be changed henceforth! (Considering how appropriate it is and all ^^)
Avolendi

---------

PreviousNext

Return to DK Characters