Grunn

Have a favorite character in the series? Any that remind you of a real person you know? Talk about the ones you like, the ones you hate, and see what others think.

Re: Grunn

Postby Lord of the Forest on Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:20 pm

Gekkey Mathews wrote:(I think he uses them to try to replace his own kids, although he is a terrible father)

I have yet to hear such a fact from David, but now I want to get a confirmation later on the Chat.

But I definitely agree that Grunn has some concern over the orphans and not just for how he'll make some lucre without them.

He's not the most huggable landshark, but I for one would pester him to toss me into the ocean every now and then just because it looks so much fun!
Lord of the Forest

Postby UberUrsa on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:30 pm

Gekkey Mathews wrote:Grunn is a good guy. He subtly cares about the orphans, like how he was worried when he thought mace starved to death.

I would like to say that he only cared about mace because it might have brought the authorities down on him as a murderer, since it is quite apparent there are no laws on child abuse, neglect, labor, or state run orphanages. However, there has to be some reason that he is working an orphanage as opposed to some other building that no one goes into, as Igrath hinted at ("maybe I could work at a bar""people go into bars") so it implies that there is something that Grunn has that they don't want anyone to see.
UberUrsa

Postby Calico Yorki on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:51 pm

...Now I'm thinking...

Remember how Grunn was a sailor? And he still does some treasure hunting - Of the golden coins and stuff kind?

What if he discovered something he's hidden? An orphanage where, in usual times, no one would want to go - And he could probably scare off anyone who'd want to head there for whatever reason.

So, we can think about this...We know Grunn collects the bander shells. ... I think. What if the bander shells have some special quality...?

It could be that they're making some kind of weapons/armor...And if that's true...

...What exactly is so special about bander shells...?

Ooh. Maybe it's illegal to fish for bander...

...Because of their shells?
Calico Yorki

Location: With the Purple, the People, the Plastic-Eating People

Postby Lord of the Forest on Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:35 pm

UberUrsa wrote:
Gekkey Mathews wrote:Grunn is a good guy. He subtly cares about the orphans, like how he was worried when he thought mace starved to death.

I would like to say that he only cared about mace because it might have brought the authorities down on him as a murderer , since it is quite apparent there are no laws on child abuse, neglect, labor, or state run orphanages.

While I do admit that your comment about the laws is quite possibly true (even if not, very horribly maintained at least in the Margate District), I would have to say that he wouldn't have been so worried about the authorities coming down on him for the murder, especially when we see that Mace is blamed!

Its apparent that Mace has a record of misbehavior, but I'm curious as to how far the local law enforcement would go to see what influenced Mace's rebellious behavior that eventually led to murder. My guess is not too far.

They're apparently not too distressed about whatever the secret is getting discovered. They're firm in the orphanage, but I'm guessing that it could either be a teleporter or some other hideout that Scinter's groupies can use.
Lord of the Forest

Postby UberUrsa on Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:55 pm

Well we know one thing for sure: the orphanage is not a fermente stash.
UberUrsa

Postby Finfan on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:47 pm

A shark with a short fuzzy tail. What's up with that!?!?!? I suspect that Grunn was perhaps a foot soldier or low level agent for the underground and caught some heat for it so they put him in a safe house to hide out. He strikes me as (what some others have said) a drunken buffoon. He probably doesn't really hate kids but he doesn't want to be around them. Naturally he was then forced to be a caregiver to children. Definitely not officer material! :roll:
Finfan

Postby Mr Aerospace on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:26 am

Shoal (Old Norse: grunn). A tern synonymous with shallow, signifying that part of the water not sufficiently deep to sail over by vessels which are navigated in that place; a shallow, however, is never supposed to be dry, even at the lowest ebb, but shoals are often dry at low water.

Anyone else think this sounds oddly familiar?
Mr Aerospace

Postby Twilight on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:40 pm

Uhm... The inside of Grunn's ****? ^^:
Twilight

Postby Zagura on Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:38 pm

Well it could be a metaphor for Grunn's drinking. >_>
Zagura

Postby Mr Aerospace on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:08 am

[sigh] What?
[scratches head]
Tejhekjt eghbe eghkejt ebh [bangs head on keyboard]

Seriously? Ok, So I may have included too much of the definition, but focus...the important part really is the shoal bit. Stop thinking of Grunn as the 'shallow' object, and start matching the definition to his situation.

Here's a hint:
Grunn was a sailor.
Grunn had a boat.
Where are they now?
Mr Aerospace

---------

PreviousNext

Return to DK Characters