Dust: An Elysian Tail

Just see a terrible, awful film? Warn us! Want to promote something quality in the mainstream? Here is the place to discuss music, movies, TV, comics, books - the good, the bad, the abominable. Review away!

Dust: An Elysian Tail

Postby Oseirus on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:37 pm

The short version? If you've got an Xbox, BUY IT. 1200 MS points ($15 USD) for hours of 2D hack 'n' slash badassery.

The less short version? Dust: An Elysian Tail is the best waste of time I've had in years. It just came out yesterday and I've already sunk 15+ hours into it, with 110% completion (don't as me how that works- I'm not even done yet).

For the uninitiated, .

Drooling yet? You should be.

The amazing part? The game was created almost entirely by ONE GUY. You may have heard of a man by the name of Dean Dodrill, who was mildly famous a few years back for trying to create a Disney-quality animated movie completely by himself, using only his own funding and resources. He succeeded to the point where he amassed a small cult following, though as far as I know, he never put out a finished product. I'd link the official website, but it seems to be stuck in a permanent "Bandwidth Exceeded" limbo. I'd wager you could dig up some snippets of the project here and there though.

Fast forward to 2009, and Mr. Dodrill found himself winner of Microsoft's Dream.Build.Play contest, which awarded him $50,000 to produce a game for the Xbox Live Arcade based on his universe. Enter Dust: An Elysian Tail.

The gameplay is smooth and simple, taking only a few minutes to get up to speed and start dishing out a lot of hurt. Graphics are gorgeous with zero slow-down, and the music is appropriately background-ey. Difficulty scales marvelously with progression giving a solid challenge without becoming overbearing, and there are lots of hidden goodies to find.

The only major gripe I have is how cliche the storyline is. It's almost sad to see such an awesome game wasted on such a dry narrative. It's an endless stream of "saw that one coming", punctuated by awkward dramatic moments and some real cringe-worthy dialogue. It's a shame, too, since the general voice acting is pretty good. There's also a minor issue with screen crowding, it's easy to lose your character in particularly busy fights, especially towards the end of the game.

Narrative aside though, the graphics and incredible combat are more than reason enough to pick this one up. It's hard to believe this was produced by just one person, the overall quality meets, and even exceeds many of the other big name titles you'll find on the XBLA.

Also, Fidget sounds kinda like Lisa Simpson.
Oseirus

Re: Dust: An Elysian Tail

Postby Hakuzo NightFox on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:27 pm

That game looks interesting indeed o.O.
Hakuzo NightFox

Postby Koreth on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:28 pm

Huh. Cool.

Time to buy an Xbox.
Koreth

Postby DanWithTheHat on Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:52 pm

I would try it if I had an Xbox...

Hopefully it gets released on the PC sometime soon. :D
DanWithTheHat

Postby Oseirus on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:01 pm

I don't think it will, honestly. The contest that Dean Dodrill won was basically a contract for an XBLA exclusive. I won't say it's impossible, just really, really unlikely. Especially since it was just the one guy developing it. At the very least it would take a couple years to properly port it.
Oseirus

Postby Hazzardous on Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:20 am

This game certainly reminds me of Odin Sphere, which is not a bad thing I can tell you...2D hand-drawn sprites are a lost art that needs more attention...

Which reminds me, this game also reminds me of Dragon's Crown, another upcoming gem from the same guys of Odin Sphere...
Hazzardous

Postby Thegunner18 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:53 pm

This game actually looks amazing :D I love hack and slash games, so this is great. Plus, Fidget looks and sounds adorable :3 I seriously need to get this.

Yay for having an Xbox!

EDIT: Just downloading it now ^^
Thegunner18

Postby Oseirus on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:57 pm

So once you get addicted to this I suppose we won't be seeing you in Stranded again for a while? :P

I jest. Lemme know how you like it.
Oseirus

Postby Reed R Gale on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:02 am

Oseirus wrote:So once you get addicted to this I suppose we won't be seeing you in Stranded again for a while? :P

I jest. Lemme know how you like it.

You may not be jesting. Addiction is a powerful thing. :P
Reed R Gale

Postby Thegunner18 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:30 pm

Well, considering that I'm a 100% (or more!) completion freak, then I'm going to be playing this game for a good while :) But yeah, I'm loving it at the moment! I'm not so addicted that I won't post in the RP, mind you. :P

Fidget <3 :3
Thegunner18

---------

Next

Return to Culture clash