Dubstep...

Just see a terrible, awful film? Warn us! Want to promote something quality in the mainstream? Here is the place to discuss music, movies, TV, comics, books - the good, the bad, the abominable. Review away!

Re: Dubstep...

Postby JoRdAnMaSt3R on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:20 am

If anyone is interested, I made a WMM vid about the origins of Dubstep
JoRdAnMaSt3R

Postby RedFox on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:02 pm

Being a music connoisseur, I've listened to dubstep now and again, but everytime I try to get myself to like it, it ultimately fails to appease me.

Everyone claims Dubstep as being the genre with the biggest bass, the most bass, the sickest bass, the (*rolls eyes*) 'dirtiest/filthiest' bass. Most, if not all, of these claims are malformed and untrue. I guess what people are hearing that they think is bass are those annoying sirens and synths that just scream at you through most songs. That's not bass. That's suped-up middle-range synth just being f*cked around with. The most bass you'll usually get out of a dubstep song is the bass kicks, like in most House or Electro type Electronica songs. These are just little bass spikes that just kinda thump along with no real sustain.

People have forgotten what real, soul-shattering bass sounds like. I'll leave a few examples if you have the right equipment, then this stuff should turn your ears to mush.

- If you can't hear anything for the first 10 or so seconds, your setup is incapable of replicating the bass.

- A tune that has both a strong kick and a teeth-rattling bass line.

The electric bass guitar line here should give you a good bass fix. Björk's heavenly voice should satisfy your ears as well.

And because I like to play fair, I'll link to some Dubstep I actually do like.

- Starts as Industrial-Ambient, but becomes a Dubstep force to be reckoned with. And by reckoned with, I mean it's unstoppable.

- Stays dark, doesn't need to stoop to the level of an 'insane drop.' It's just beautiful and it stays that way.

- Friend turned me on to these guys. They understand how to correctly mesh lyrics and an Industrial style into Dubstep. These punks are gonna be big.

So there's my two cents.
RedFox

Postby Kailash on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:26 pm

Yes, there's alot of crappy quality Dubstep being made, giving it a bad name. But if you look around properly, there's a few artists making some damned nice music in this genre.
Kailash

Postby Hakuzo NightFox on Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:06 am

*Rise from your grave*

Yes, I know this is an old topic but there has been a large increase in Dubstep lately. Not only does NERDS candy have a dubstep commercial, now a lot of 'dance' music artists are incorporating Dubstep into their music. Put on a music station that is supposed to be Dance, you get at least one dubstep song an hour.

For some reason this genre of music has gotten popular.Some of it is good, a lot of it is aweful. Though the same basic 'repeat beat' is becoming common baseline now for 'dance' music. so eh who knows.

I'll rather stick to jumpstyle/hardstyle myself. (though hardstyle has gotten repetitious as well.)
Hakuzo NightFox

Postby Wait Wat on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:47 am

OP here on my new account.
Aaaaand to be honest, I'veshied away from a lot of the more mainstream Dubstep now in favor of some of the older, more original "Dub" music by producers like Skream, Benga and Digital Mystikz.
A lot automatically assume that Skrillex = Dubstep, so Dubstep =****, much like I did, after that I just listened to a lot of the mainstream "Brostep" on the scene, but around this time last year I looked into Digital Mystikz, and liked what I heard.

What about you guys?
Wait Wat

---------

Previous

Return to Culture clash