Dubstep...

Just see a terrible, awful film? Warn us! Want to promote something quality in the mainstream? Here is the place to discuss music, movies, TV, comics, books - the good, the bad, the abominable. Review away!

Dubstep...

Postby JoRdAnMaSt3R on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:06 am

Some of you may not know this, but there's this new (well, not "new" new, but "new in the states" new) genre of Electronic music called Dubstep that combines wobble styled bass-lines with epic mid-ends and hi-hatz. Any thoughts on it?
JoRdAnMaSt3R

Re: Dubstep...

Postby Smitty on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:07 pm

My thoughts would make any fan of that trash very, very sad.

While it does classify as music in my opinion, and lyrics or not it can have some good notes, I am not a fan of the wub wub or any other sound in Dubstep. To me, its like playing a great song, with a broken instrument.
Smitty

Postby JoRdAnMaSt3R on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:27 pm

"Trash"???
The song that you posted on the "what are you listening to" thread was trash, wobble styled basslines DO NOT mix well with music from a classical instrument, if the artist wants to make REAL Dubstep, they must at least do it right.
JoRdAnMaSt3R

Postby Twilight on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:56 pm

It's like buzz saws in the ears!!!
Twilight

Postby wildcard on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:55 pm

My friend tried to get me into it with by playing Skrillex. He was trying to explain what a "beat drop" was and why the lyrics made no sense at all.

He failed.
wildcard

Postby Chemical Cutthroat on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:52 am

Yeesh... talk about hate. No need to be mean.

I like the stuff, but I like the electronic dissonance and violence of the music. I think it's fun, if a bit ADD at times. It really depends on who's doing what really.

An-ten-nae has some good stuff, but they're more Acid-Crunk.

PantYRaid is fun.

Flux Pavillion has some amazing remixes.

I've had my head in the genre for a while. And some mixes are significantly better than others. Soemtimes I want to take the turntables away from certain DJ's.
Chemical Cutthroat

Postby Hazzardous on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:09 pm

Since I naturally enjoy electronic and techno, dubstep is not so far a step from those...so yeah, I listen to it now and then...
Hazzardous

Postby Paperfold on Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:32 pm

I occasionally listen to some dubstep-ish artists (though I never know what exactly qualifies for these genres and what doesn't). It's nice to listen to if you're active/in a place with a lot of noise; I listen to it a lot when I'm biking, for example.
Paperfold

Postby JoRdAnMaSt3R on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:03 am

Twilight wrote:It's like buzz saws in the ears!!!

Maybe you have the Treble turned up too high on your Headphones/Earphones/Speakers whenever you play it, try turning up the Bass when playing Dubstep, you'll notice the difference.

Try listening to Flux Pavillion - I Can't Stop, it's a good intro to Dubstep and converted a few sceptics that I've met before.
Alternatively, try some of Example's stuff.
JoRdAnMaSt3R

Postby Avolendi on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:48 pm

Heard some music in the past that I think was dubstep and depended on the song wether I liked it or not. Especially liked one with a violin in it (think I found that one in the music thread here). Not sure how much of that counts as actual dubstep though.

Listened to that song Jordan, but feel like it doesn't really refute Twi's comment. If that buzzing sound (only way I can describe it) is typical of normal dubstep then I have to say it's definitely not my kind of music.
Avolendi

---------

Next

Return to Culture clash